The Student Room Group

can i study medicine with Chemisty History and Psychology

i these are the subject i most enjoy and are the best at but i have wanted to do medicine ever since i can remember

Scroll to see replies

Yes as long as you have chemistry you should be fine, apart from maybe a small number of universities. Best to check the uni's admission criteria though before you apply to make sure :smile:
I think it highly unlikely anywhere will let you in without another science or maths. HOWEVER with good grades in these subjects you should qualify for a foundation year which makes your course 6 years instead of five. Also get some work experience.
Hope that helps x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Dragon_
Yes as long as you have chemistry you should be fine, apart from maybe a small number of universities. Best to check the uni's admission criteria though before you apply to make sure :smile:

awesome, do you think i will be able handle the amount of work from essays in history to revision?
I think they are fine but you may also need Biology most probably. Have you chosen your A levels yet. If not look at random medicine courses at uni's you want to go to and think you can get the grades to get an acceptance. They usually have the subject requirements which tend to be Biology and Chemistry. Maths is beneficial but not as necessary as the other two. But I am in year Eleven and choosing my A levels so don't take my word for it!! good luck
For a more competitive application, biology and maths would help. Having just one science would put you at a disadvantage to other candidates, especially for such a competitive course.
Original post by frostyjacks4life
I think it highly unlikely anywhere will let you in without another science or maths. HOWEVER with good grades in these subjects you should qualify for a foundation year which makes your course 6 years instead of five. Also get some work experience.
Hope that helps x

Posted from TSR Mobile

when you say anywhere i am considering plymouth exeter and leeds at the moment would plymouth let me in?
a lot of the uni website say they only require chemistry and i think that psychology will be a nice thing to go with it and also history, it will be different
Original post by DANIELREED
awesome, do you think i will be able handle the amount of work from essays in history to revision?

yes you should be fine ! Count yourself lucky you are not taking biology; which has a considerably large content. However you must bear in mind other medical students will have a head start over you as they will have learnt anatomy in biology. Good luck with your application though!
Reply 9
I've applied for Medicine this year, and every medical school asks for a second a level in biology, physics or maths so unless you wanted to do a first degree and then medicine post grad I think you'll be out of luck with those a levels 😞 sorry, med schools are awful to get into.
Original post by darkvibes
For a more competitive application, biology and maths would help. Having just one science would put you at a disadvantage to other candidates, especially for such a competitive course.

would i be able to win the uni over with work experience the interview?
Original post by katya_z
I've applied for Medicine this year, and every medical school asks for a second a level in biology, physics or maths so unless you wanted to do a first degree and then medicine post grad I think you'll be out of luck with those a levels 😞 sorry, med schools are awful to get into.

what a levels did you do btw and what unit did u apply for would i be different with any other unis

yes you should be fine ! Count yourself lucky you are not taking biology; which has a considerably large content. However you must bear in mind other medical students will have a head start over you as they will have learnt anatomy in biology. Good luck with your application though!

have you done medicine?
would i be able to win the uni over with work experience the interview?

Im not an expert, sorry but i think subjects are much more important than experience

I would certainly recommend doing maths and biology. You're going to learn the biology content at uni anyway and a lot of people offer maths too, which is a very respectable subject.

I think maybe maths, bio, chem and history/psychology would be the ideal combination, but maths isnt necessary (unless for cambridge)
??
Reply 15
what a levels did you do btw and what unit did u apply for would i be different with any other unis

I'm doing chemistry, biology and English and I did history AS. I applied to UCL, Leeds, Nottingham and Bristol and I'm waiting for replies after my interviews now. I'm afraid it's the same for every uni - you can check on their websites and you'll see that it's always a requirement to have chemistry and at least one of biology, physics or maths. I know it sucks but it's such a competitive course that they have to make the entry requirements tough so the applicant numbers don't get ridiculous.
Original post by darkvibes
Im not an expert, sorry but i think subjects are much more important than experience

I would certainly recommend doing maths and biology. You're going to learn the biology content at uni anyway and a lot of people offer maths too, which is a very respectable subject.

I think maybe maths, bio, chem and history/psychology would be the ideal combination, but maths isnt necessary (unless for cambridge)

ok awesome thanks
Original post by katya_z
I'm doing chemistry, biology and English and I did history AS. I applied to UCL, Leeds, Nottingham and Bristol and I'm waiting for replies after my interviews now. I'm afraid it's the same for every uni - you can check on their websites and you'll see that it's always a requirement to have chemistry and at least one of biology, physics or maths. I know it sucks but it's such a competitive course that they have to make the entry requirements tough so the applicant numbers don't get ridiculous.

ok thanks for the replay random question are you good at maths. just wondering for chemistry
Reply 18
In short, Chemistry is essential as it is 100% required by all medical schools in the country.
Biology (or maths/physics) on the other hand is desirable since it opens up a lot more medical school options for you to choose from. Not doing biology may disadvantage you in some cases.
Reply 19
ok thanks for the replay random question are you good at maths. just wondering for chemistry

That's okay! I'm not that good at maths, I didn't take a level because I thought I would struggle with it. The maths in chemistry is easy, definitely nothing past GCSE so that's nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply