The Student Room Group

Quitting a temp/perm job

I started a temp/perm position yesterday. The job was 2 week's temping and if they liked me/thought I was up to the job, there was a potential for it to become permanent. Unfortunately, the job was not at all what had been sold to me by the agency. What I had anticpated would be general admin was actually a sales job. Yesterday's training didn't go well (I could tell the lady training me was getting frustrated with me, as I was with myself) and I am the last person in the world who you would expect to find working in sales. I should have known something was up when the first thing I was told yesterday was that the previous temp walked out after only three hours last week, hence why the position had become vacant again.

Today has been a nightmare too (I still haven't made a sale). I'll try and stick out the rest of fortnight, but if I don't what's my worst case scenario? My concern would be that I won't be able to list the position on my CV, which is the only reason why I took it at all having been out of work for nearly three months and becoming increasingly conscious of the gap developing on my CV.

My last position before this one was also temp, but for 6 months and was great, I will always get a glowing reference from them, but do you have to list your last place of work as a reference?

Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Any company that lies about job descriptions is a company you don't want to work for.

They count on people like you who think you owe it to them, so no - Don't stick it out. It will frustrate you and leave you less likely to find other work.
Reply 2
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Any company that lies about job descriptions is a company you don't want to work for.

They count on people like you who think you owe it to them, so no - Don't stick it out. It will frustrate you and leave you less likely to find other work.

To be fair it was the agency that misled me. I applied for an admin position (how it was described on their site). It seems as though, with the previous temp quitting last week, the agency were under pressure to fill the vacancy as quickly as possible.

The only reason I'm considering sticking it out is for the reference and to bridge the gap on my CV.
Original post by ralph99
To be fair it was the agency that misled me. I applied for an admin position (how it was described on their site). It seems as though, with the previous temp quitting last week, the agency were under pressure to fill the vacancy as quickly as possible.

The only reason I'm considering sticking it out is for the reference and to bridge the gap on my CV.

Unless you're making friends with the people there, you won't get a reference. Seriously - Dump the job. When I was younger, I had a job for an admin position and here was the interview:

"Hi. Are you here for the sales position?"
"No, no. I'm here for the office position."
"The sales position has a lot more upward mobility."
"Oh, thank you, but no. I'm interested in the office position."
"But think of how much more money you could earn in sales."
"I actually prefer office positions."
"That position has been filled."
"The ad was placed yesterday. Did you trick me in to coming here?"
"If we placed an ad for a salesperson, nobody would show up!"
"That should tell you something. Thank you for wasting my time and yours."

Seriously. The bait and switch to get you in to sales positions is a tried and true tactic for young people and it's horrific.
Reply 4
Unless you're making friends with the people there, you won't get a reference. Seriously - Dump the job. When I was younger, I had a job for an admin position and here was the interview:

"Hi. Are you here for the sales position?"
"No, no. I'm here for the office position."
"The sales position has a lot more upward mobility."
"Oh, thank you, but no. I'm interested in the office position."
"But think of how much more money you could earn in sales."
"I actually prefer office positions."
"That position has been filled."
"The ad was placed yesterday. Did you trick me in to coming here?"
"If we placed an ad for a salesperson, nobody would show up!"
"That should tell you something. Thank you for wasting my time and yours."

Seriously. The bait and switch to get you in to sales positions is a tried and true tactic for young people and it's horrific.

It's the agency who i'll have to use as a reference though.
Phone the agency and tell them. I guarantee they didn't know about this and didn't mean to mislead you - That's their credibility on the line. They will probably drop the client and set you up with a different job.

Or continue along your current path. That's an option and your next few weeks will certainly be the exact same as your first few days.
Reply 6
Phone the agency and tell them. I guarantee they didn't know about this and didn't mean to mislead you - That's their credibility on the line. They will probably drop the client and set you up with a different job.

Or continue along your current path. That's an option and your next few weeks will certainly be the exact same as your first few days.

I think that's what I'll do. Still unsure as to whether or not this rules out listing the job on my CV as I can't imagine potential employers will be to impressed with someone who quit a job, but if I don't list it it looks as though I've been out of work for three months.

Catch 22, I guess.
Original post by ralph99
I think that's what I'll do. Still unsure as to whether or not this rules out listing the job on my CV as I can't imagine potential employers will be to impressed with someone who quit a job, but if I don't list it it looks as though I've been out of work for three months.

Catch 22, I guess.

"Why were you unemployed for 3 months?"
"Because I went travelling."
"Jobs a good 'un. You're hired."
Reply 8
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Don't worry about the gap on your CV honestly. Just say something like you were taking a break whilst deciding what you wanted to do that's how I explain it. Employers don't really care too much as long as you're a good candidate for the job your going for.
Reply 9
Also you don't have to list everything on your CV I was in a job for 3 months that I hated, I didn't list it at all.
Reply 10
Original post by sabana
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Don't worry about the gap on your CV honestly. Just say something like you were taking a break whilst deciding what you wanted to do that's how I explain it. Employers don't really care too much as long as you're a good candidate for the job your going for.

When I've been applying for jobs of late, agencies have asked straight away why I've been out of work and what I've been doing in the meantime.

I'm tempted to list it, even if I don't stick it out, and see if I'm OK to contiue using my previous job before this one as a reference. Can you pick and choose your references or do you have list your most recent job?
Reply 11
You normally have two references. Your most recent employer and the other of your choice is how it usually goes
Reply 12
Original post by ralph99
When I've been applying for jobs of late, agencies have asked straight away why I've been out of work and what I've been doing in the meantime.

I'm tempted to list it, even if I don't stick it out, and see if I'm OK to contiue using my previous job before this one as a reference. Can you pick and choose your references or do you have list your most recent job?

You should be able to pick and choose normally job applications state current or most recent reference.
Reply 13
Original post by sdotd
You normally have two references. Your most recent employer and the other of your choice is how it usually goes

One great one bad, then!
References are usually generic at this level, it will just be confirming work dates. A two-week job is not going to look good on your C.V. either. Just say you been doing various temp work for the agency (not the company) and travelling to cover up the work gap.
Original post by ralph99

You can completely ignore two weeks temping for CV purposes.
Reply 16
Original post by threeportdrift
You can completely ignore two weeks temping for CV purposes.

Eh? As in potential future employers/agencies won't even bother asking for references?
Reply 17
Think I will knock it on the head in any case. I feel bad because the manager seems like a nice bloke and keeps trying to build my confidence up, but like I said in the original post it's just not the job for me. I plan to ring the agency in the morning and apologise, I take it this is the done thing rather than informing the company directly?
Original post by ralph99
Eh? As in potential future employers/agencies won't even bother asking for references?

No, as in working for someone for just two weeks isn't long enough for any future employer to consider a reference from there worthwhile. It's not even worth mentioning on a CV unless it is your only evidence of some super-relevant piece of experience.

Basically two week sof work is worth it for the money, but doesn't usually provide anything useful for future employers.
Reply 19
Original post by threeportdrift
No, as in working for someone for just two weeks isn't long enough for any future employer to consider a reference from there worthwhile. It's not even worth mentioning on a CV unless it is your only evidence of some super-relevant piece of experience.

Basically two week sof work is worth it for the money, but doesn't usually provide anything useful for future employers.

Fair enough. I emailed the recruitment agency last night and told them that I wouldn't be continuing with the job. I think I will list it on my CV regardless, and if nothing else it's taught me to get more information from the agencies before agreeing to a job next time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending