The Student Room Group

Does EE use up a lot of data?

Ive found a 12 month sim deal which is just really good and i wanna switch from O2 to EE. Its 16GB data, unlimited calls and unlimited texts for £20 a month and it's sim only. Does anyone have any experience with EE and is it a good network?
Original post by Silver Arrow
Ive found a 12 month sim deal which is just really good and i wanna switch from O2 to EE. Its 16GB data, unlimited calls and unlimited texts for £20 a month and it's sim only. Does anyone have any experience with EE and is it a good network?

Hi! Just moved your thread over to Mobile Phones for you :smile:

Personally, I think it's a pretty good deal but you should make sure to do your shopping around first. Check out the other providers' deals. The only provider I can't recommend is Vodafone. They're awful. All in all, good plan but make sure to have a dig around first :h:

From what I've heard, EE is quite a good network.
Original post by iEthan
Hi! Just moved your thread over to Mobile Phones for you :smile:

Personally, I think it's a pretty good deal but you should make sure to do your shopping around first. Check out the other providers' deals. The only provider I can't recommend is Vodafone. They're awful. All in all, good plan but make sure to have a dig around first :h:

From what I've heard, EE is quite a good network.

It's this deal

http://shop.ee.co.uk/mobile-phone-deals/sim-only-deals?WT.MC_ID=ON_MEC_S_GOOGLE_G_Brand+EE+Only_p3496324839&WT.srch=1

I doubt i'm gonna find anything better.

In which case, I'd say go for it
Reply 4
Do you need that amount of data? If you do, go for it (bearing in mind that it's a 12mo contract). Otherwise, consider their £15/month PAYG plan, 2gb, with an extra 500mb every 3 months.

For the plan you linked though, check out HotUKDeals, you can get cashback (bringing it down to £16/m if I remember correctly).

EDIT: Less than that actually, £11.99/m, though only 4G, not 4G+ (still very very fast, faster than other networks) if you avoid going direct and get the cashback. Links:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/unlimited-mins-unlimited-texts-16gb-data-4g-double-speed-per-month-with-ee-12-month-2426810
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/unlimited-mins-unlimited-texts-16gb-data-4g-double-speed-per-month-with-ee-12-month-2426128
(edited 8 years ago)
haha i just got that contract 2 weeks ago, so nice

that being said i've used 6gb since 1st april, and i mainly just use snapchat
Original post by JoeTSR
Do you need that amount of data? If you do, go for it (bearing in mind that it's a 12mo contract). Otherwise, consider their £15/month PAYG plan, 2gb, with an extra 500mb every 3 months.

For the plan you linked though, check out HotUKDeals, you can get cashback (bringing it down to £16/m if I remember correctly).

EDIT: Less than that actually, £11.99/m, though only 4G, not 4G+ (still very very fast, faster than other networks) if you avoid going direct and get the cashback. Links:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/unlimited-mins-unlimited-texts-16gb-data-4g-double-speed-per-month-with-ee-12-month-2426810
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/unlimited-mins-unlimited-texts-16gb-data-4g-double-speed-per-month-with-ee-12-month-2426128

That is fantastic! I currently pay £15 a month on O2 for 1GB data, 2000 texts and 750 minutes. I use Wi Fi most of the time so as not to drain my data. I don't really need 16GB but this is too good to pass up.

Those links you posted apparently i'd need to send copies of my bill to EE to pay £11 instead of £20. Can i cancel the contract after 12 months and will they be able to transfer my number from O2?
Reply 7
That is fantastic! I currently pay £15 a month on O2 for 1GB data, 2000 texts and 750 minutes. I use Wi Fi most of the time so as not to drain my data. I don't really need 16GB but this is too good to pass up.

Those links you posted apparently i'd need to send copies of my bill to EE to pay £11 instead of £20. Can i cancel the contract after 12 months and will they be able to transfer my number from O2?

No problem :smile: I should add, I was a little unclear about the 500mb thing. It adds onto your allowance, so at 3 months you'd have an allowance of 2.5gb, 6 a 3gb allowance, 9 a 3.5gb allowance, 12 a 4gb allowance, etc (and I believe it carries to the £10 plan as well, but added onto 1gb rather than 2).

You'd send copies of your bill to one of the two companies (not EE, either E2Save or mobilephonesdirect). You'd still be paying £20, but would get a bank transfer every few months. You can cancel the contract, but you may be dropped down to a PAYG plan (you might have to double check that). You should be able to transfer your number, but that's another thing to double-check (that one I'd probably ask E2Save or mobilephonesdirect rather than EE).
Original post by gr8wizard10
haha i just got that contract 2 weeks ago, so nice

that being said i've used 6gb since 1st april, and i mainly just use snapchat

So is that good or bad?

I can thoroughly recommend the EE Network to you - I've used it before (on PAYG SIMs) and it is a very good network. 4G is getting into more places and speeds are improving when 4G launches in your area.

If you're switching from O2 to EE you should also find an increase in coverage, as (certainly for more rural areas) O2 haven't been the best in regards to 3G/4G coverage.

I'm jumping from Virgin Mobile to this 16GB EE deal too - depending on what you do will depend on how much data you use. The data usage should be the same on 3G and 4G (the only difference being how quickly you use the data) - the only difference being in speedtests (uses more data) or streaming media (some apps increase or decrease the bit rate, depending on connection speed).

And anyway, 16GB should be plenty of data to last the month :smile:
Original post by spotify95
I can thoroughly recommend the EE Network to you - I've used it before (on PAYG SIMs) and it is a very good network. 4G is getting into more places and speeds are improving when 4G launches in your area.

If you're switching from O2 to EE you should also find an increase in coverage, as (certainly for more rural areas) O2 haven't been the best in regards to 3G/4G coverage.

I'm jumping from Virgin Mobile to this 16GB EE deal too - depending on what you do will depend on how much data you use. The data usage should be the same on 3G and 4G (the only difference being how quickly you use the data) - the only difference being in speedtests (uses more data) or streaming media (some apps increase or decrease the bit rate, depending on connection speed).

And anyway, 16GB should be plenty of data to last the month :smile:

Will i be able to keep my number though?
Will i be able to keep my number though?

Yes, you should be able to keep your number when transferring from any network to a different one. I'm transferring from Virgin to EE and should also keep my old number.

If you ask for a PAC code (Port Authorisation Code) from your old mobile operator (in your case O2), you'll then be able to provide EE with your PAC and your number will be transferred across.

Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending