The Student Room Group

Did Corbyn misreport his income in his tax return?

An interesting article that came up in my Twitter feed

https://medium.com/@wildcolonialboy/did-jeremy-corbyn-misreport-his-income-in-his-tax-return-d1910e0337ab#.bweqhga2q

Can Jeremy Corbyn claim a moral high ground on tax issues when he himself treats Her Majesty's Revenue with contempt? There were numerous questions in that return he didn't even bother to fill out

Scroll to see replies

I just can't believe people are willing to pay him £150 to waffle for an hour.
I hope he releases his previous years so people can see just how truly principled he really is receiving money from Capita and the Iranian government!
Original post by pol pot noodles
I just can't believe people are willing to pay him £150 to waffle for an hour.
I hope he releases his previous years so people can see just how truly principled he really is receiving money from Capita and the Iranian government!

Indeed, I'm wondering why the FCO would pay him for his "expertise"; in what? Sucking up to anti-semites?

It looks like the Sun have got hold of a story that approximates this one though the Sun is actually claiming he has underreported income. They contacted his office and they haven't got back to them :smile:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/7067902/Question-mark-over-Jeremy-Corbyns-tax-affairs-after-he-failed-to-declare-450-earnings-to-taxman.html

The Opposition Leader’s office said it was unable to explain why Mr Corbyn did not declare the additional £450 to the HMRC in his tax return.

His spokesman told The Sun: “I’m sure there is a simple reason for the difference but I will look into it.”

However, four hours after we approached them they still could not explain the disparity.A Labour source confessed: “We are stuggling to get a clear understanding of what has gone on.”

If Corbyn can't even manage his own affairs, how can he manage the country's?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
An interesting article that came up in my Twitter feed

https://medium.com/@wildcolonialboy/did-jeremy-corbyn-misreport-his-income-in-his-tax-return-d1910e0337ab#.bweqhga2q

Can Jeremy Corbyn claim a moral high ground on tax issues when he himself treats Her Majesty's Revenue with contempt? There were numerous questions in that return he didn't even bother to fill out

Don't forget it was filed late, at least he was fined £100 for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Don't forget it was filed late, at least he was fined £100 for it

Posted from TSR Mobile

As usual, Butterfingers Corbyn turned an open goal into an own goal.

He demands the PM's tax return, he's then asked to show his. He says he lost it, then it turns out he was fined £100 for late filing, and now it looks like he not only misreported his lecture income but it's now being reported that he failed to declare thousands of pounds of pension income
As usual, Butterfingers Corbyn turned an open goal into an own goal.

He demands the PM's tax return, he's then asked to show his. He says he lost it, then it turns out he was fined £100 for late filing, and now it looks like he not only misreported his lecture income but it's now being reported that he failed to declare thousands of pounds of pension income

John McDonnel is getting thousands of pension income...that utilises off shore investments just like most pension funds; so much for one rule for the rich and another for everybody else.
Jeremy Corbyn doesn't pay income tax because he earns below the threshold.
Original post by Dinasaurus

Eh? What are you talking about? He's far above the threshold

Well he must be making massive payments into a private pension then, which I might add will be making the sorts of offshore investments that he claimed were tax evasion when Cameron was making the investments and he knows full well it will be the case.
Reply 9

He earns £125,000 a year. What on earth are you on about?
Eh? What are you talking about? He's far above the threshold

Corbyn is a working man and unlike Shameron, doesn't get expenses for a second home. All he used was for some ink.
Reply 11
Corbyn is a working man and unlike Shameron, doesn't get expenses for a second home. All he used was for some ink.

A working man who makes £150 for an hour talk?

Doesn't change the fact that he earns well over £100k p/a
Reply 13

HE EARNS £125,000 A YEAR. He also has a car through the taxpayers expense. He previous income before his 85% pay rise was £70,000.

You know nothing about politics do you?
Reply 14
Original post by pjm600
A working man who makes £150 for an hour talk?

Original post by Jammy Duel
Doesn't change the fact that he earns well over £100k p/a

Can we report her for trolling, or derailing the thread with silly comments?
Original post by IAmNero
HE EARNS £125,000 A YEAR. He also has a car through the taxpayers expense. He previous income before his 85% pay rise was £70,000.

You know nothing about politics do you?

Expenses = Pay.

If Thatcher wasn't so greedy and trained Dodgy Dave to get non-dom status in Panama to get his dad's fortune, then maybe we'll be talking.
Just fu*king deal with it..Jeremy Corbyn is 100% clean and earns much less the rest of British politicians -_-
Reply 17
Expenses = Pay.

If Thatcher wasn't so greedy and trained Dodgy Dave to get non-dom status in Panama to get his dad's fortune, then maybe we'll be talking.

No, that is his official salary, he claimed like £1,000 in expenses.

David Cameron got £19,000 post tax. Good Job on not understanding economics.
Reply 18
Original post by IGCSEKid
Just fu*king deal with it..Jeremy Corbyn is 100% clean and earns much less the rest of British politicians -_-

The normal MP pay is £70,000. He gets £125,000. Stick to GCSE politics kiddo.
Original post by IAmNero
No, that is his official salary, he claimed like £1,000 in expenses.

David Cameron got £19,000 post tax. Good Job on not understanding economics.

So you think brexit is the way forward then? Because econometrically, maybe paying full taxes is the right way instead of just leaving it in Panama. Maybe?

Quick Reply

Latest