The Student Room Group

Difference between 'Collected' and 'Collated'?

jnkd
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by dylantombides
The sentence is:

A total of 143 newspaper articles were collected/collated; with 115 being match reports and 28 being editorial pieces.

Which would be the correct word?
Also has the semi-colon been used correctly?
Finally is the overall grammar of the sentence good?

From what I understand, 'collect' means to acquire in one place without an order, while 'collate' means to collect with order. You would have to look at the context to see which is better. A semicolon links two sentences together that could be independent and still make sense; I don't think it's appropriate here, however. If that were to be replaced with a comma, then it would be grammatically correct and a good sentence.
Reply 2
The only place I see 'collated' used is on printers making multiple copies-- you usually have a choice of, say, 5x each page, which you then sort yourself, or you can have the machine collate them for you. It's not unthinkable to be used here, but only in the sense that 'Lawrence crossed the Arabian peninsula on an apothecary' could also be correct.

And, yes-- the semi-colon is wrong here. If you're not going to change the words, you should us a comma.
(edited 8 years ago)
Collecting involves gathering a type of item and having it in your possession.
Collating involves obtaining many things then compiling, organising and analysing them. There's usually a specific reason or goal.

I would use collated and remove the "with" after the semicolon.

A total of 143 newspaper articles were collated; 115 being match reports and 28 being editorial pieces.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Is '115 being match reports and 28 being editorial piece' really an independent clause?
Original post by dylantombides
The sentence is:

A total of 143 newspaper articles were collected/collated; with 115 being match reports and 28 being editorial pieces.

Which would be the correct word?
Also has the semi-colon been used correctly?
Finally is the overall grammar of the sentence good?

I am no grammar expert, but I think the word "gathered" would fit better than collected or collated, and that there should be a simple comma in place of the semi-colon.

However, I would probably change the wording of the second half as well:

A total of 142 newspaper articles were gathered, 115 of which were match reports and 28 of which were editorial pieces.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by carrotstar

Original post by Camilli

Original post by NekoAngel13

Original post by Camilli

Original post by Aear

Another question, should I use present or represent here:

"This was a means of analysing the way in which players are presented/represented in newspapers"

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Probably represented. That would be true if 'depicted by' the newspaper or 'promoted by managers in'.

To say 'presented' implies something of promotion BY the newspaper, like a concert series. Which-- except for the most cynical of political papers-- is not exactly what is going on. [Here's looking at you, Faux News.]
Original post by Camilli
Probably represented. That would be true if 'depicted by' the newspaper or 'promoted by managers in'.

To say 'presented' implies something of promotion BY the newspaper, like a concert series. Which-- except for the most cynical of political papers-- is not exactly what is going on. [Here's looking at you, Faux News.]

thank you very much
Reply 9
I agree also with represented.
Original post by Inexorably
I agree also with represented.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending