The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

18 and 31" waist last I measured :cute: probably 32" by now, I've put on a little weight recently :rofl:
I'm usually between 28 and 30. :wink:
Reply 22
lol 34" waist is not that big at all, you a probably carrying a few extra pounds at most. Im the same height as you and i take 30-32".
No one looks at a bloke and goes "Ooooo, I like his waist size, he's got a perfect hourglass figure"

A much better calculation is body fat percentage but then if you have muscle, the body fat is hardly noticeable with your clothes on, anyway.

Looking at the bigger picture is better than looking at your bigger waistline.

SS
(edited 8 years ago)
18 - fluctuate between 28 and 30
Original post by Shiv Loves Maths
17 and 34" when I buy jeans but that's vanity sizing. Im probably 36" but I'm not overweight or anything :cry2:

At 36" and not being built as ****, you've got to be overweight tbh

Original post by Shiv Loves Maths
Idk could be why I have a big waist

I don't think that's why you have a big waist
I think average for male is 36", but average male is overweight.

Men's waists do tend to fill out about once they enter their 20s. I remember wearing 28 or 30" when I was 18/19 before drifting up to 32". I'm now 34" but that's after dropping down from a of peaked of 38".
Reply 27
Original post by Quantex
I think average for male is 36", but average male is overweight.

I just checked, and the average is 37", which surprised me

Amongst <30s, though, the average is probably around 32-34" imo. :dontknow:
I think waist size is a useless way of determining whether or not you're fat. I'm 20 with a 36" waist, around summertime last year when my abs were coming out I'm around 33-34 and that's to do with the way my frame is, I have very broad hips and a muscular lower body. If you feel that you want to lose weight then go ahead but I wouldn't base it on waist measurement the same way I wouldn't base it on weight.
Original post by Jahe
Hey guys,

I've been wondering what is the average waist size of you lads? And how old you are? Are you happy with it?

I'm a 21 year old fella who's 5ft 10 inches tall and I've put a bit of weight on lately. A couple of stone, although I'm still well within my healthy BMI rating. I'm just surprised how much my waist size has increased. I was a 28'' not long ago but recently I've started buying a few pairs of 34'' waist jeans.

Do you reckon 34'' is starting to get a bit tubby? Should I try to lose the gut?

The number is irrelevant; if you feel like you want to lose some weight, get to it, it's more about feeling happy than measurable numbers.
My actual waist size when I'm lean is 30" according to when I had my measurements taken for my mate's wedding a while ago, but there's no way my glutes are fitting into 30" trousers these days :rofl:

Original post by DMcGovern
30" waist, been like that even after I started going gym.
First-generation Irish.
I'm half mesomorph half endomorph.

BMI is a load of rubbish, it's a useless measurement.
6" in such a short time is most probably a bad sign, but it might depend on your physique - do this test:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm

The idea of somatotypes is just as rubbish an idea as BMI tbh. Like BMI there's some relevance to it, for example when referring to bone structure and so on, but the other stuff like the ability to gain or lose weight is all down to diet and how you perceive eating.
(edited 8 years ago)
Measured this morning 23 inches u mirin
Reply 32
Original post by IFoundWonderland
Measured this morning 23 inches u mirin

"Male waist size"

Dbi, no one cares.
Original post by AJ KO
"Male waist size"

Dbi, no one cares.

I am female

:undefined:mmm u jelly
Im 17, 6 ft :smile: have a waist size of 30-32 which i think is alright tbh:biggrin:
Original post by WoodyMKC
My actual waist size when I'm lean is 30" according to when I had my measurements taken for my mate's wedding a while ago, but there's no way my glutes are fitting into 30" trousers these days :rofl:

The idea of somatotypes is just as rubbish an idea as BMI tbh. Like BMI there's some relevance to it, for example when referring to bone structure and so on, but the other stuff like the ability to gain or lose weight is all down to diet and how you perceive eating.

Well if it's your glutes it might be from exercise - do you do any sport or workout lower body? If so then that's the issue - although it might not.

I think it's quite good - it's not everyone squeezed into a 3 single physiques but a good rough idea of what your body physique is like. It's definitely better than the BMI idea though. :tongue:
Original post by DMcGovern
Well if it's your glutes it might be from exercise - do you do any sport or workout lower body? If so then that's the issue - although it might not.

I think it's quite good - it's not everyone squeezed into a 3 single physiques but a good rough idea of what your body physique is like. It's definitely better than the BMI idea though. :tongue:

Sorry, that top part was in reply to the thread in general :lol: Yeah though, I've been weight training for over 3 years so naturally my glute/thigh area has grown significantly.

I think Fat Free Mass Index is the most accurate means we have so far, though it does require you to have an idea of your bodyfat %.
Original post by Supersaps
No one looks at a bloke and goes "Ooooo, I like his waist size, he's got a perfect hourglass figure"

A much better calculation is body fat percentage but then if you have muscle, the body fat is hardly noticeable with your clothes on, anyway.

Looking at the bigger picture is better than looking at your bigger waistline.

SS

lol boys aren't supposed to have an hourglass figure? :/
a really small waist is so hot tho imo, like wide shoulders and little waist and small hips too. Most of the guys at my school have this anyway so I thought it was normal.
I'm in the range between 30-32 inch waist.
I am 18 and a 26 inch waist. is this too big or too small? i.m 5'6'' tall and fit teen boys jeans.

Latest