The Student Room Group

First nursing job interview - advice needed

I have a job interview coming up. Just want to ask for advice, possible questions & which area of nursing start to opt for.
Tnx :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by coolclar
I have a job interview coming up. Just want to ask for advice, possible questions & which area of nursing start to opt for.

Which area of nursing are you interested in?

The questions in my interview were things like conflict resolution, being asked to work beyond your scope of practice, comforting patients. Didn't really have any technical questions.
Original post by coolclar

Most interviews are now scenario-based. The aim of this is to see what your values are and what you prioritise in a situation. You could be given scenarios such as:
-A patient/relative is upset at the care provided, how do you deal with this?
-A patient is hypotensive, what are your actions?
-A patient who is normally quite content appears tearful and upset, how would you approach them
-You begin a shift to find a critically ill patient, a patient due for a scan at 9 and two blood transfusions to be completed before 10, alongside all of the personal care and medication rounds. How would you prioritise?
-A patient is acting aggressively, how do you deal with the situation?

I've also been asked what skills I would bring to the job and what are my weaknesses. They will probably tell you that there are no trick questions, if you don't know the answer then it isn't an issue but you're better off giving an educated guess than just saying you don't know. From my experience, answers to questions are scored so you are better off giving a longer answer with as many options as possible and cover all bases (e.g. if I was asked about the aggressive patient I would make sure to mention their safety, my safety, safety of other patients/visitors, positioning myself in the environment, removing items that could be used to harm me or the patient, phoning security if necessary, phoning the police if necessary).
Reply 3
Original post by amyc123
Which area of nursing are you interested in?

The questions in my interview were things like conflict resolution, being asked to work beyond your scope of practice, comforting patients. Didn't really have any technical questions.

I'll probably start off in an orthopaedics ward. Which area are you working at?
Thanks for the response!
Reply 4
Original post by Charlotte49
Most interviews are now scenario-based. The aim of this is to see what your values are and what you prioritise in a situation. You could be given scenarios such as:
-A patient/relative is upset at the care provided, how do you deal with this?
-A patient is hypotensive, what are your actions?
-A patient who is normally quite content appears tearful and upset, how would you approach them
-You begin a shift to find a critically ill patient, a patient due for a scan at 9 and two blood transfusions to be completed before 10, alongside all of the personal care and medication rounds. How would you prioritise?
-A patient is acting aggressively, how do you deal with the situation?

I've also been asked what skills I would bring to the job and what are my weaknesses. They will probably tell you that there are no trick questions, if you don't know the answer then it isn't an issue but you're better off giving an educated guess than just saying you don't know. From my experience, answers to questions are scored so you are better off giving a longer answer with as many options as possible and cover all bases (e.g. if I was asked about the aggressive patient I would make sure to mention their safety, my safety, safety of other patients/visitors, positioning myself in the environment, removing items that could be used to harm me or the patient, phoning security if necessary, phoning the police if necessary).

Sounds good! Thanks for your advice! It is very helpful, haven't had any interviews for a while!

Quick Reply

Latest