The Student Room Group

French Oral help

I've got my French and spanish oral soon but I get really nervous and need more speaking practice with someone. I've had one temporary speaking tutor but its really hard to find someone to help and speak to. Anyone have any ideas? thx
Friends, family?
Original post by pinkie2999
I've got my French and spanish oral soon but I get really nervous and need more speaking practice with someone. I've had one temporary speaking tutor but its really hard to find someone to help and speak to. Anyone have any ideas? thx

If you need help in french I'm a french native :h:
Reply 3
ive asked my family to ask around but no luck so far :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
If you need help in french I'm a french native :h:
thx alot! if i need have any questions can I inbox you?

Hey, I have French oral soon too :smile:

The key is confidence. If you are perfectly capable of spontaneously constructing sentence in a different language in your head, then in theory there is nothing stopping you from saying them out loud. If you have confidence in your abilities, you will relax and settle into the conversation and you won't even realise how hard you're working to translate 'on the spot' as it were.

Try thinking in the different language in daily life, just constructing random sentences. You'll soon get better at spontaneity.

If you have any French/Spanish relatives, it would be a really good idea to have regular conversations with them.

As for your actual exam material, write down some pre-prepared responses and learn them, however don't recite them - that's not what they're there for, and if you sound rehearsed in the exam you'll lose marks (this happened to me last year unfortunately). The point of the prepared material is that it is a framework and a prompt for your spontaneous response.
Reply 6
Original post by connieiscrazy
Hey, I have French oral soon too :smile:

The key is confidence. If you are perfectly capable of spontaneously constructing sentence in a different language in your head, then in theory there is nothing stopping you from saying them out loud. If you have confidence in your abilities, you will relax and settle into the conversation and you won't even realise how hard you're working to translate 'on the spot' as it were.

Try thinking in the different language in daily life, just constructing random sentences. You'll soon get better at spontaneity.

If you have any French/Spanish relatives, it would be a really good idea to have regular conversations with them.

As for your actual exam material, write down some pre-prepared responses and learn them, however don't recite them - that's not what they're there for, and if you sound rehearsed in the exam you'll lose marks (this happened to me last year unfortunately). The point of the prepared material is that it is a framework and a prompt for your spontaneous response.

thx this is really helpful. The only thing is I have a bad stammer generally and it gets worse in language exams so Im kinda nervous about them marking me down for bad pronunciation as i did in my French mock
thx this is really helpful. The only thing is I have a bad stammer generally and it gets worse in language exams so Im kinda nervous about them marking me down for bad pronunciation as i did in my French mock

I think the stammer will be related to nerves. Don't worry about it - if you do, it'll just make it worse

Stammering is better than saying 'um' in my opinion though - we get marked down for that because it sounds too English
I completely got the wrong idea about this thread based on the title.
Original post by Hippysnake
I completely got the wrong idea about this thread based on the title.

Spoiler

thx alot! if i need have any questions can I inbox you?

Of course you can :wink:

Quick Reply