The Student Room Group

Uni open days - do I take my parents?

I've narrowed down my choice of university to six or seven, so now I obviously need to start going to open days, most of my choices are a maximum of three hours a way by car/train
I can't drive yet, so obviously for some I'll need someone to drive me, but I was wondering if it's normal to take your parents? Personally I want them to come with me, as it's a big choice and I look to them for advice, but I don't know if that's normal or if it will make me look too dependant on them to other people & staff
Any advice? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Most people do take their parents to open days with them - it's understandable, your parents are going to be interested as they want to know where you're going. But there are also people who want to be independent for a little bit too
Original post by JessThomas6
I've narrowed down my choice of university to six or seven, so now I obviously need to start going to open days, most of my choices are a maximum of three hours a way by car/train
I can't drive yet, so obviously for some I'll need someone to drive me, but I was wondering if it's normal to take your parents? Personally I want them to come with me, as it's a big choice and I look to them for advice, but I don't know if that's normal or if it will make me look too dependant on them to other people & staff

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went by myself to open days 3 hours away and one i went with a friend, i would make a trip out of it yourself. You could take parents however some places would have a limit to guest in talks so you might as well go buy yourself by train.
It's normal. I've dragged my mum to 4 open days and 2 applicant days.
Original post by claireestelle
I went by myself to open days 3 hours away and one i went with a friend, i would make a trip out of it yourself. You could take parents however some places would have a limit to guest in talks so you might as well go buy yourself by train.

Yeah my only thought is that one of them the train is too expensive, and my parents want to know what the places I'm looking at are like and stuff, does it make people seem really immature if they go with their parents?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Yeah my only thought is that one of them the train is too expensive, and my parents want to know what the places I'm looking at are like and stuff, does it make people seem really immature if they go with their parents?

Posted from TSR Mobile

At all the open days and applicant days that I've been to the vast majority have been with their parents

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you got a railcard? I guess for me I didn't want input from my mum really.
At least one of my parents came with me to each open day I attended, nearly everyone had parents with them. Some of the more local people had just gone with their friends because they already knew the uni. I highly doubt anyone would pay attention to the fact that you were with your parents, I'm sure everyone will be too busy trying to find out about the uni for themselves.

Bottom line is if you want your parents there and you think that it's important that they see where you will be studying then you should take them, regardless of what you imagine anyone else will think.
Original post by claireestelle
Have you got a railcard? I guess for me I didn't want input from my mum really.

No, I live in a small town and my school is very close, everything is accessible by bus
I'm quite keen for input as I'm very indecisive and I find it hard to make up my mind

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I live in a small town and my school is very close, everything is accessible by bus
I'm quite keen for input as I'm very indecisive and I find it hard to make up my mind

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you feel you need input then maybe one parent could help. As long as you don't have a parent who asks loads of questions for you.
Reply 10
I went with my parents to all the four open days and post-offer days I went to. This was mostly because I value their opinion as they're both university lecturers so know the right questions to ask. Also because they would pay for the expenses and made it easier to discuss which uni I should go to as they'd had a taste of it themselves.
I do remember envying those who went with their friends and found myself wishing I'd been able to go with a friend when going to Edinburgh and Exeter but this was impropable as all my friends are either already at university or not planning on going. (I'm on a gap year). I also felt like it would cost them a lot to join me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitley normal to take parents- I only went with my Mum but some people came with both parents and their sibling(s). I know this is a step further ahead, but the post offer open days I went to they put on a schedule just for parents at two of the unis I visited.
Taking parents is what most people do. When I attended open days with my son at least 80% had parents with them. As far as train fares go if you would like to pm me with the details I will try and advise you on the best way to do the journey cheaply
I went to all my open days with my mum and I think she was more excited about visiting places I'd possibly end up at than I was! :biggrin:
Hi,
I help out at my department open days at the University of Sheffield and generally prospective students bring somebody with them whether that's a parent/parents or a friend, but some do come on their own so just do whatever you are most comfortable with. Generally the department will have lots of people around that you can talk to in any pauses in the day.
Enjoy your open days!
It's not at all unusual to bring a parent, so if that's what works for you then go for it. You might consider splitting up for all or part of the time you're there, and then comparing your thoughts and impressions at the end of the day - that way you get to approach it fairly independently, but still get the benefit of their insights.
I did a couple open days on my own or with friends and the rest with my mum, and 100% it's better to do them with parents. An extra person to take in info, and then they have all the facts to help you discuss your options. Plus it's nice for them to see where you are going!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It can be useful to bring a parent or friend because they might remind you of questions you meant to ask but forgot or give you a slightly different view of what they thought was good or bad. That doesn't mean letting your parents tell you where to go or that they know what you want better than you do, it just means that when making big decisions (and choosing a uni and course is possibly a bigger decision than most teenagers have made so far in their life) it's often beneficial to discuss it with someone who knows what the options are.
Parents went when my sisters were looking at unis. I tagged along to my sister's current uni and I didn't like it that much.

Going to one in June and hopefully a couple more after that.
Reply 19

Posted from TSR Mobile

My mum came with me to all of the open days and my grandparents tagged along for the ride to 3 of them :lol:
In any case, loads of prospective applicants came with family so it's completely normal.
As for being dependent/independent or whatever; when you meet the staff/lecturers/dept. heads/current students etc. during open days, you take the initiative, be proactive and ask them questions+talk to them yourself - don't have parents speak to them on your behalf.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending