The Student Room Group

Getting GCSEs for uni at 23

So basically I was trouble at school, well educated but didn't see the point in education! I didn't attend half my exams so ended up leaving school with:

Additional Science C
Science D
Maths C
Resistant materials D - (A in the mock)
English Lit & Lang E

....And that's all I have. I do have a couple of OCR level 2 (maybe NVQs) in IT but that's it. I have no A levels/btecs or any other qualifications.

I realize the mistakes i made and don't want to end up in a warehouse forever achieving nothing. I'd like to do the Civil Engineering MEng degree however I've spoken with Coventry uni & they're adamant I need 5 GCSEs, A levels in maths & physics and to have started the civil HNC, which again requires 5 GCSEs & A levels.

Apart from doing 1 GCSE or A level a year for the next 5/6 Years and funding them myself (expensive!) what are my options??

Any help is much appreciated!
Original post by Flambo33
So basically I was trouble at school, well educated but didn't see the point in education! I didn't attend half my exams so ended up leaving school with:

Additional Science C
Science D
Maths C
English Lit & Lang E

....And that's all I have. I do have a couple of OCR level 2 (maybe NVQs) in IT but that's it. I have no A levels/btecs or any other qualifications.

I realize the mistakes i made and don't want to end up in a warehouse forever achieving nothing. I'd like to do the Civil Engineering MEng degree however I've spoken with Coventry uni & they're adamant I need 5 GCSEs, A levels in maths & physics and to have started the civil HNC, which again requires 5 GCSEs & A levels.

Apart from doing 1 GCSE or A level a year for the next 5/6 Years and funding them myself (expensive!) what are my options??

You should look at doing a 1 year access course and then do the gcses along side if the college allows, if you would be comfortable going to other universities.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
You should look at doing a 1 year access course and then do the gcses along side if the college allows, if you would be comfortable going to other universities.

I currently work full time & need to as i have a mortgage, the only college work i can do would be part time until I get onto a Uni course

Additional Science C
Science D
Maths C
English Lit & Lang E

I've moved this to the Mature Students forum, where you will find people who have had a similar experience. Unless you are able to give up work to do as claireestelle suggests, though, it will be a long haul and not many quick fixes. Universities are very stubborn about GCSEs, surprisingly more so than A level, in many cases.
I currently work full time & need to as i have a mortgage, the only college work i can do would be part time until I get onto a Uni course

Distance learn for GCSEs (there could be evening classes available for maths and English at least) and consider an open university course? They re rare but there are access courses available online if you re really unable to stop work and can't get accepted into your degree through ou credits. There will be some way to do this.
Reply 5
Distance learn for GCSEs (there could be evening classes available for maths and English at least) and consider an open university course? They re rare but there are access courses available online if you re really unable to stop work and can't get accepted into your degree through ou credits. There will be some way to do this.

Thanks for the help, I'm just wondering if you know any reputable distant learning companies? I'm looking through a site called cloudlearn at the minute however wondering if there's a well known one people on here use?

If my only option is to get the 5 GCSEs then that's what I'll have to do :smile:
Thanks for the help, I'm just wondering if you know any reputable distant learning companies? I'm looking through a site called cloudlearn at the minute however wondering if there's a well known one people on here use?

If my only option is to get the 5 GCSEs then that's what I'll have to do :smile:

With GCSEs it's possible to teach yourself really and find a centre to take you as a private candidate. There's a search website for access courses here https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Pages/Default.aspx .
Reply 7
With GCSEs it's possible to teach yourself really and find a centre to take you as a private candidate. There's a search website for access courses here https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Pages/Default.aspx .

Oh i didn't know this was possible, so i could book in to an edexcel test center at the right time of year and take the exams? I didn't know this was possible i will have to look into it because i assume i would be able to book in for several different GCSEs in 1 year, this would cut down my study time massively rather than trying to slog through a course a year for years to come. Great help thank you
Oh i didn't know this was possible, so i could book in to an edexcel test center at the right time of year and take the exams? I didn't know this was possible i will have to look into it because i assume i would be able to book in for several different GCSEs in 1 year, this would cut down my study time massively rather than trying to slog through a course a year for years to come. Great help thank you

Yes sure you can, you may want to look into subjects without coursework as that makes it much simpler but otherwise should be doable:smile:

Additional Science C
Science D
Maths C
English Lit & Lang E

Have you looked at universities that offer an engineering foundation year? I think you would probably still need to retake some GCSEs, but the foundation year is designed for people who don't have the right qualifications for year 1 of the degree but show that they have the potential to progress. They are funded by Student Finance exactly the same as any other year of your degree (so you would get a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan).

Loughborough, Leeds, Sheffield, Nottingham, Swansea, Southampton, Newcastle and Manchester all offer an engineering foundation year (I'm sure others do too - these are the universities that I considered when I applied)
I agree with Lauren that a foundation year would be a good option for you, after you have some GCSEs under your belt. However, many of these universities would want you to have a level 3 qualification before the foundation year. You could do an online Access course first, or maybe self-study maths A level. If a foundation year appeals to you, you should email the admissions tutors to ask their advice on how you should proceed.
Reply 11
Hi,Thanks for all the help.

After getting in touch with a few different unis you're all right, I need the 5 GCSEs. The best way I've found was what Claireestelle suggested, entering in as a private candidate, It's about £130 per subject so not too pricey. I'll be doing physics, geography & English, although i think English can be done for free at local collages.

Specifically for civil engineering, with the basic 5 GCSEs I can then get onto a civil HNC course (part-time) if I get marks over 60% on the HNC I'll be able to transfer onto the BEng course... Full time Uni! Pretty doable really, anyone who wants to study and improve their knowledge can & should!

Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending