The Student Room Group

Transgender people

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm gonna go have a shower I will reply to new posts when I'm back. Very interesting discussion
Call a male him/he/his
Call a female her/she/hers
These are the only real genders. If someone wants to change between them you chose what you want to call them but they would probably pref the gender they are changing to. but just ask.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Pronouns don't tell you anything about sex. They don't even necessarily tell you anything about gender. But when someone asks you to use a certain pronoun set for them, you use it.

Often trans people do mention their trans when looking for dates because they don't want to waste time talking to people who will reject them based on presumptions of what their genitals look like but also for their own safety. If you don't want to date men don't date trans men or cis men. But if someone says they're a woman, they are. So if you only want to date women stick to trans women or cis women.

Well pronouns do actually tell you a lot about somone, if you said Oh she is over there, I know she is a woman.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Well pronouns do actually tell you a lot about somone, if you said Oh she is over there, I know she is a woman.

Not necessarily, like my example earlier of a contract which referred to both companies as 'he', regardless of the gender of the directors or staff of either company, or the fact that companies don't themselves have gender.
Original post by FNPC
I'm gonna go have a shower I will reply to new posts when I'm back. Very interesting discussion

For someone who said 'I have nothing wrong with trans people' and 'Of course I WILL respect what they want I just want to know.' you seem to have lots of problems with trans people and respecting trans people's identities.

Anyone who wants to respect someone doesn't talk about how 'wrong' it is to respect them and then say it's a 'very interesting discussion'.
Original post by minimarshmallow
Not necessarily, like my example earlier of a contract which referred to both companies as 'he', regardless of the gender of the directors or staff of either company, or the fact that companies don't themselves have gender.

99% of the time saying oh she did it or its him. means a gender. while occasionally it may change it normally is straightfoward
99% of the time saying oh she did it or its him. means a gender. while occasionally it may change it normally is straightfoward

I think your statistic may be skewed.
I think your statistic may be skewed.

I am not claiming that this is a official stat but it is very rare to find it not being used to indicate gender and sex
Reply 28
WTF? HOW? If someone tells you their name's 'Dave' why would you think that's wrong? Do you ask to see ID with their name on it whenever you learn anyone's name?

I would think it would wrong if I already knew their name was Rebecca. Also I wouldn't appreciate them lying to me. Also,mix they were a girl it would be a tad strange if their name was Dave, but still...
I am not claiming that this is a official stat but it is very rare to find it not being used to indicate gender and sex

You cannot tell someone's gender by their pronouns.
You cannot tell someone's gender by their clothes/hair style etc.
You cannot tell someone's gender by their body shape.
You cannot tell someone's gender by their name.
You cannot tell someone's gender by their genitals.

The ONLY way you can tell someone's gender is when THEY TELL YOU.
Original post by FNPC
I would think it would wrong if I already knew their name was Rebecca. Also I wouldn't appreciate them lying to me. Also,mix they were a girl it would be a tad strange if their name was Dave, but still...

Yeah I know how you feel
Reply 31

I've never heard of a company being called he TBH.
Reply 32
For someone who said 'I have nothing wrong with trans people' and 'Of course I WILL respect what they want I just want to know.' you seem to have lots of problems with trans people and respecting trans people's identities.

Anyone who wants to respect someone doesn't talk about how 'wrong' it is to respect them and then say it's a 'very interesting discussion'.

I never said it was wrong to respect them as a person, song lie to demonise me
Reply 33

I'm sorry but that's simply NOT TRUE. If someone has a penis, they are a man. If they have larger hips for example, they are a woman. There are biological differences
Original post by FNPC

Why would they be lying to you? If someone says their name's 'Dave' that's their name. Whether you used to know them as 'Rebecca'. Whether 'Rebecca' is on their ID. Whether they look more like a 'Rebecca' than a 'Dave'. They've told you to call them 'Dave' so calling them 'Dave' is just basic respect.

Nope, genitals pretty much do make a gender.
Reply 36
Nope, genitals pretty much do make a gender.

True
Reply 37
Why would they be lying to you? If someone says their name's 'Dave' that's their name. Whether you used to know them as 'Rebecca'. Whether 'Rebecca' is on their ID. Whether they look more like a 'Rebecca' than a 'Dave'. They've told you to call them 'Dave' so calling them 'Dave' is just basic respect.

If I say I'm the king of the world am I the King of the world? Obviously not. Please stop being so unreasonable
Original post by FNPC
I never said it was wrong to respect them as a person, song lie to demonise me

Respecting someone 'as a person' includes respecting their gender and the name they've asked you to call them.

Original post by FNPC
I'm sorry but that's simply NOT TRUE. If someone has a penis, they are a man. If they have larger hips for example, they are a woman. There are biological differences

Not only is this massively wrong and disgustingly cissexist, it's also hilarious. If penis = man and larger hips = woman then how do you categorise a trans woman who started hormone blockers at the beginning of puberty and then took Oestrogen and so has 'womanly hips' but hasn't had bottom surgery?
Original post by FNPC
If I say I'm the king of the world am I the King of the world? Obviously not. Please stop being so unreasonable

It's unreasonable for trans people to ask you to use their chosen name and their pronouns?

What does this respect for trans people ACTUALLY include?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending