The Student Room Group

Giving a depressive assembly

So, lately a teacher asked me to give a speech on reality, and give it during assembly to 200+ Students...... I made it upon how there is no point in life, except prayer and asking god for help. I read it through, and it sounds incredibly depressing. It gives and incredible reality check, but it will be both painful to read as well as depressive for others. I have to do this tomorrow, and so I can't redo it. It talks a lot about the truth and my life.... TMI about my life so I ain't gonna send it.... So should I still read it out to them and give them the truth, or make it happier, give a moral of the story (what the teacher wants) and read it out.

Thank you for any replies.
Reply 1
Well um if you're gonna go into the issue of life has no meaning, please don't put it across in such a way that everyone's gonna have an existential crisis.

Instead try and say why that's liberating; no social obligations, nothing you /must/ do, the ultimate freedom and responsibility you have over your own life and your ability to define yourself as an individual etc.
Original post by Boss_Rhythm
So, lately a teacher asked me to give a speech on reality, and give it during assembly to 200+ Students...... I made it upon how there is no point in life, except prayer and asking god for help. I read it through, and it sounds incredibly depressing. It gives and incredible reality check, but it will be both painful to read as well as depressive for others. I have to do this tomorrow, and so I can't redo it. It talks a lot about the truth and my life.... TMI about my life so I ain't gonna send it.... So should I still read it out to them and give them the truth, or make it happier, give a moral of the story (what the teacher wants) and read it out.

Thank you for any replies.

Nobody nobody! Nobody really cares!!! *In the Tune of Drag Me Down*
Original post by Inexorably
Well um if you're gonna go into the issue of life has no meaning, please don't put it across in such a way that everyone's gonna have an existential crisis.

Instead try and say why that's liberating; no social obligations, nothing you /must/ do, the ultimate freedom and responsibility you have over your own life and your ability to define yourself as an individual etc.

But life is not happy and joyful... It is bleak, it is a punishment we were given..
Reply 4
But life is not happy and joyful... It is bleak, it is a punishment we were given..

You only say that because you choose to do it that way.

Since life is devoid of meaning people can freely choose how they wish to approach and view life.

Person 1 says life is terrible
Person 2 says life has its ups and downs, but it's mostly good.
Person 3 says life is amazing.

All 3 people are correct.
You only say that because you choose to do it that way.

Since life is devoid of meaning people can freely choose how they wish to approach and view life.

Person 1 says life is terrible
Person 2 says life has its ups and downs, but it's mostly good.
Person 3 says life is amazing.

All 3 people are correct.

It's not about the life we were given. It's the life we choose to ignore, the bigger picture, that I am trying to put into their mind....
That's the truth correct?
Reply 7
It's not about the life we were given. It's the life we choose to ignore, the bigger picture, that I am trying to put into their mind....

I understand that since you are of a religious perspective, you have a different interpretation of what ''life'' is.

But still, it's always about the life we are given. To the average person now, this is the only life they are going to get and it is their chance to make the absolute best out of it, that they can.
I understand that since you are of a religious perspective, you have a different interpretation of what ''life'' is.

But still, it's always about the life we are given. To the average person now, this is the only life they are going to get and it is their chance to make the absolute best out of it, that they can.

Okay.... i understand! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending