The Student Room Group

Impacted wisdom teeth extraction - will it always cause swelling, and for how long?

and how to minimise it? Any tips x
I've literally had this problem over the past weekend! The pain started on Friday, emailed my dentist that morning and they gave me a prescription for antibiotics. Pain was excruciating the following day but it's now Tuesday and the pain is basically gone. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by nelizabeth_
I've literally had this problem over the past weekend! The pain started on Friday, emailed my dentist that morning and they gave me a prescription for antibiotics. Pain was excruciating the following day but it's now Tuesday and the pain is basically gone. :smile:

are you getting them removed?
Original post by Anonymous
are you getting them removed?

No, my dentist hasn't even looked at them yet. (I'm not sure if they are actually impacted, but something concerning my wisdom teeth caused my lymph nodes to swell up)
Reply 4
Original post by nelizabeth_
No, my dentist hasn't even looked at them yet. (I'm not sure if they are actually impacted, but something concerning my wisdom teeth caused my lymph nodes to swell up)

Ah I see, you can't even see my upper ones, but they showed up on the x ray, they're like totally sideways! :frown:
I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth which I had taken out. Apparently I looked "like a hamster" after with how much my face swelled up. Something like ibuprofen might help to minimizing swelling. I had a couple of dry sockets when mine came out and it was the single most painful thing in my whole life. My dentist prescribed me norco which helped a little - more than the mixture of paracetamol and ibuprofen anyway.
Reply 6
Original post by Sabertooth
I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth which I had taken out. Apparently I looked "like a hamster" after with how much my face swelled up. Something like ibuprofen might help to minimizing swelling. I had a couple of dry sockets when mine came out and it was the single most painful thing in my whole life. My dentist prescribed me norco which helped a little - more than the mixture of paracetamol and ibuprofen anyway.

Damn, how long did it take for the swelling to go down?
Reply 7

Also did you just have local anaesthetic injection?
Also did you just have local anaesthetic injection?

No, I had IV sedation (basically I was "out" but still able to respond to the doc).

I think the swelling took about 4 days or so to go down.
Reply 9
No, I had IV sedation (basically I was "out" but still able to respond to the doc).

I think the swelling took about 4 days or so to go down.

Ah I see, I'm just going for the local anaesthetic and I will sedate myself with some benzos also. I'm so scared :frown:( you can't even see the upper ones and they're horizontal which is a bit unusual, Thanks for all the responses.
Ah I see, I'm just going for the local anaesthetic and I will sedate myself with some benzos also. I'm so scared :frown:( you can't even see the upper ones and they're horizontal which is a bit unusual, Thanks for all the responses.

Yeah, mine weren't showing through anywhere, I just got them out because of ear and jaw pain that was linked to them growing.

You should probably let your dentist know if you've taken benzos, they might have effects that he needs to be aware of.
Yeah, mine weren't showing through anywhere, I just got them out because of ear and jaw pain that was linked to them growing.

You should probably let your dentist know if you've taken benzos, they might have effects that he needs to be aware of.

Yeah I will tell them, although it probably won't make much difference, after years of taking benzos my body is probably like completely saturated with them. Same here, IM IN SO MUCH PAIN I CANT STAND IT

Quick Reply

Latest