The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University for the Creative Arts
University for the Creative Arts
Farnham

UCA epsom

Hi I am starting a foundation degree in Epsom in september in art and design. I would love to know people going to the uni before I start. ☺😊

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laksi
Hi I am starting a foundation degree in Epsom in september in art and design. I would love to know people going to the uni before I start. ☺😊

I've moved this to the University for the Creative Arts forum for you.

Have a read through and post in the stickied applicant chat threads and the Connect pages to find other students:smile:
Students on campus at the University for the Creative Arts
University for the Creative Arts
Farnham
Hi! I am also going to UCA Epsom in September, but I will be studying Graphic Design :smile: Where are you from?
I have an interview tomorrow for the same course! If I get in I'll definitely be going. ^-^

Will you be staying in accommodation or commuting? Personally I'd be taking the train in from London because I don't live too far away anyway. (:
Original post by whydocowsfall
I have an interview tomorrow for the same course! If I get in I'll definitely be going. ^-^

Will you be staying in accommodation or commuting? Personally I'd be taking the train in from London because I don't live too far away anyway. (:

Good luck! I had 5 interviews and UCA's was the best one! I will be staying in private accommodation, even though I also live in London :smile:
Original post by Ashley Robertson
Good luck! I had 5 interviews and UCA's was the best one! I will be staying in private accommodation, even though I also live in London :smile:

Oh, that's comforting! I'm kinda scared but also kinda looking forward to it, haha!
Oh, that's comforting! I'm kinda scared but also kinda looking forward to it, haha!

They took us to the interview room where we stacked our portfolios at the back (so we didn't have to carry them on the tours) and then you'll probably go into the room next door and chat with other applicants, teachers and student while you wait for your allocated time slot for your interview :smile:

The interview is very laid back and my interviewers were open about everything. You may get two people interviewing you (one teacher, one student) but they're as nice as can be, plus there will be other students in the room with you having their interview for the same course as well :smile:
They took us to the interview room where we stacked our portfolios at the back (so we didn't have to carry them on the tours) and then you'll probably go into the room next door and chat with other applicants, teachers and student while you wait for your allocated time slot for your interview :smile:

The interview is very laid back and my interviewers were open about everything. You may get two people interviewing you (one teacher, one student) but they're as nice as can be, plus there will be other students in the room with you having their interview for the same course as well :smile:

Thank you so much for the advice! :biggrin: Did you get lots of time to go through your portfolio or did it seem like they were rushing a little bit? ^-^
Reply 8
Hi! I am also going to UCA Epsom in September, but I will be studying Graphic Design :smile: Where are you from?

Hi there :smile: i am from west london, that's sounds great will you be living out?
Reply 9
Thank you so much for the advice! :biggrin: Did you get lots of time to go through your portfolio or did it seem like they were rushing a little bit? ^-^

Be yourself and talk through your work with confidence, they were very calm and nice...so i dont think they will frighten you. i was kind of nervous about the interview part like verbally communicating my ideas and work is quite hard, but they are very supportive and they let me talk randomly through my work so i guess to prepare my best advice will be, is to learn to talk about few of your work before the interview and what inspired you to come up with the idea , i mean it can be anything. And good luck hope you get in :smile:
Original post by laksi
Be yourself and talk through your work with confidence, they were very calm and nice...so i dont think they will frighten you. i was kind of nervous about the interview part like verbally communicating my ideas and work is quite hard, but they are very supportive and they let me talk randomly through my work so i guess to prepare my best advice will be, is to learn to talk about few of your work before the interview and what inspired you to come up with the idea , i mean it can be anything. And good luck hope you get in :smile:

Thank you so much, this will definitely help me tomorrow! I really hope I get in too! X)

Also, just out of curiosity, do you know what kind of direction you'd want to go in with your art? (: I know a lot of people who apply for foundation aren't sure but I think I'm personally pretty set on an illustration route, haha ^-^
Oh also, how long did you guys have to wait before you heard whether or not you had a place? ^-^
Oh also, how long did you guys have to wait before you heard whether or not you had a place? ^-^

They looked at every piece of work I bought to the interview and there was no rush, they even took me back to the entrance so I didn't get lost!

They told me before the interview had finished, it just wasn't officially confirmed on UCAS for about 48 hours i think :smile:
They looked at every piece of work I bought to the interview and there was no rush, they even took me back to the entrance so I didn't get lost!

They told me before the interview had finished, it just wasn't officially confirmed on UCAS for about 48 hours i think :smile:

They sound like the nicest people ever, wow! I want to get in even more now, Epsom just sounds better and better! :')

(I think the creator of Where's Wally went there too, so it must be good! :biggrin:)
Original post by laksi
Hi there :smile: i am from west london, that's sounds great will you be living out?

All from London! :P Yeah, i will be living in private accommodation on South Street, just across the park from the campus :smile: Yourself?
Reply 16
All from London! :P Yeah, i will be living in private accommodation on South Street, just across the park from the campus :smile: Yourself?

i really haven't decided whether i want to live out or not kind of confused...it will be a great experience if i do...but i live in london and the distance isn't a big of a problem. There is one great advantage of living close though is that i can get up when i want to. lol:smile:
They sound like the nicest people ever, wow! I want to get in even more now, Epsom just sounds better and better! :':wink:

(I think the creator of Where's Wally went there too, so it must be good! :biggrin:)

It's the little things they do during the interview that make the difference for me! Like talking about my other uni choices, if i wanted to be called ashley or ash, etc :smile:

Have you been to an open day?
Original post by laksi
i really haven't decided whether i want to live out or not kind of confused...it will be a great experience if i do...but i live in london and the distance isn't a big of a problem. There is one great advantage of living close though is that i can get up when i want to. lol:smile:

I feel like for foundation year you may as well stay at home for one more year, and then afterwards that's when you move out! Though of course everyone's different! ^-^

It's the little things they do during the interview that make the difference for me! Like talking about my other uni choices, if i wanted to be called ashley or ash, etc :smile:

Have you been to an open day?

Yes, I went to an open day a few months ago! It was raining and miserable though and the course leader seemed really grumpy so I didn't get the best impression haha, but I feel like she was probably just having a bad day - and all the other people I talked to were super friendly! I spent absolutely ages talking to one of the students who was showing off all the little things students had made using their resources like the 3D printer and book-binding machine. :') (I'm so excited about the book-binding, it's unreal! I want to just make books all day! :biggrin:)
Original post by laksi

I would, make the most of the experience! Although my flat is private its still part of a large house that has been converted to student accommodation, so other students are only a door away and we can dip in and out of each others place!

Quick Reply

Latest