The Student Room Group

How can I study from an audiobook?

I busy most of the time and I need to have time to study. So I decide to use audio book, but now I am wondering how can I learn from them. How can I retain the information I gain from listening? Any tips. Thanks!
Original post by RichardTwit
I busy most of the time and I need to have time to study. So I decide to use audio book, but now I am wondering how can I learn from them. How can I retain the information I gain from listening? Any tips. Thanks!

Listening to them over and over whilst you do other stuff works for some people.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Listening to them over and over whilst you do other stuff works for some people.

Thanks! I will do that! :smile:
Firstly, it is completely understandable that you have a busy lifestyle, but revision should really be a priority right now and you need to make time to study. If this is difficult, use a daily planner that includes a section for every hour of the day, you'll probably realise you have 10 minutes here and there where you aren't actually busy and could slot in a bit of revision. Whether it be on the bus, in registration, waiting for dinner, it all adds up!

Secondly, I wouldn't suggest revising from audio books alone. No matter how hard you try, you will find it almost impossible to retain all information that way. Try to use visual methods as well and be proactive in your learning.

If you really want to use audio books, I suggest on the commute to and from school, or even when you're just chilling in your room in the evening. Subconsciously, your brain retains some information that you hear throughout the day even if you aren't focusing 100% on what was being said, so maybe use it as a booster to remember your revision as oppose to making that your actual revision.

Good luck in your exams :h:
Reply 4
Original post by EmmaLouise759
Firstly, it is completely understandable that you have a busy lifestyle, but revision should really be a priority right now and you need to make time to study. If this is difficult, use a daily planner that includes a section for every hour of the day, you'll probably realise you have 10 minutes here and there where you aren't actually busy and could slot in a bit of revision. Whether it be on the bus, in registration, waiting for dinner, it all adds up!

Secondly, I wouldn't suggest revising from audio books alone. No matter how hard you try, you will find it almost impossible to retain all information that way. Try to use visual methods as well and be proactive in your learning.

If you really want to use audio books, I suggest on the commute to and from school, or even when you're just chilling in your room in the evening. Subconsciously, your brain retains some information that you hear throughout the day even if you aren't focusing 100% on what was being said, so maybe use it as a booster to remember your revision as oppose to making that your actual revision.

Good luck in your exams :h:

Thanks for the information. I wouldn't only relies on audio books only. I also learning mnemonic too :u:. Hey I got one more question should I listen to a chapter over and over and then move to next chapter or should I listen to the whole book and listen to it again?
No passive method of study will allow you to retain and deeply understand the material you're attempting to study. Repeated listening to the audio will give you a superficial understanding, but takes more time than it's worth. Sorry to be a downer of the situation, but if you want to do well, you have to work hard.
Original post by RichardTwit
Thanks for the information. I wouldn't only relies on audio books only. I also learning mnemonic too :u:. Hey I got one more question should I listen to a chapter over and over and then move to next chapter or should I listen to the whole book and listen to it again?

Maybe chapter by chapter until you can remember it all. But as the person said below, you have to work hard and use practice questions when possible and past papers as well. :h:
Reply 7
Original post by EmmaLouise759
Maybe chapter by chapter until you can remember it all. But as the person said below, you have to work hard and use practice questions when possible and past papers as well. :h:

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending