The Student Room Group

Was I raped???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
:colonhash: Cheating is equal to rape? Yes genius. He is a genius.

Hold On. Hold On HOLD ON.
Where did I state Cheating = Rape?
Where did he state it too?

Please show evidence?
I stand by my origianl point of your statements being dead, as you tend to lack evidence with it, unlike me who has quoted you out on all your self contradictions.
Reply 141
Original post by donutellme
Not the point.

It's not victim blaming. Only advice.

The dangers are evident. Would be smarter to not get so drunk out of your senses so as to avoid risk all together.

"takes two to tango" indicates she is at fault.

Victim blaming = implying she is at fault
Advice = doesn't imply she is at fault

What that poster said clearly falls into the former category.
Original post by AJ KO
Getting drunk consenting to sex or being at fault for getting raped.

Putting yourself in a position where you are going to be easily exploited is stupid, it's like an individual walking through a park at midnight, in the dark asking not to be mugged. He doesn't deserve to be mugged, hell no, but they could have taken precautions to ensure that situation didn't occur.

Besides OP clearly states she asked for a condom to be worn. She wasn't intoxicated enough for her judgement to be severely impaired, I mean even after going home with a stranger she still took a precaution not to get pregnant or receive an STI.

My point still stands, it's definitely not her fault but the fact remains she was still stupidly drunk.
Original post by ripjonsnow
Hold On. Hold On HOLD ON.
Where did I state Cheating = Rape?
Where did he state it too?

Please show evidence?
I stand by my origianl point of your statements being dead, as you tend to lack evidence with it, unlike me who has quoted you out on all your self contradictions.

I'm far too tired to quote anything. You haven't quoted me out on all my self-contradictions so don't flatter yourself. I'm not continuing on with this thread as I should be working. So goodbye, don't quote me again. (look at the last couple of pages, it's on there).
:colonhash: Cheating is equal to rape? Yes genius. He is a genius.

Either you're being incredibly naive about the impacts of betrayal, or humouring me.

Someone who betrays someone else who has complete faith in them for their own purpose is low.

The victims are affected similarly in both cases. What better comparison is there?

A thief steals all your money from your house. A corporate lawyer steals all your money through trickery. Either way, you end up with no money. Who's really better here?

Also, there is no way to reduce the likelihood of being cheated on. Hoes gonna hoe.
Reply 145
Original post by ArabianPhoenix
Putting yourself in a position where you are going to be easily exploited is stupid, it's like an individual walking through a park at midnight, in the dark asking not to be mugged. He doesn't deserve to be mugged, hell no, but they could have taken precautions to ensure that situation didn't occur.

Besides OP clearly states she asked for a condom to be worn. She wasn't intoxicated enough for her judgement to be severely impaired, I mean even after going home with a stranger she still took a precaution not to get pregnant or receive an STI.

My point still stands, it's definitely not her fault but the fact remains she was still stupidly drunk.

I agree.

But it's strange how most people are focusing on criticising the OP (the victim) without criticising the actual perpetrator, whilst simultaneously stating that the OP is not at fault.
Original post by AJ KO
I agree.

But it's strange how most people are focusing on criticising the OP (the victim) without criticising the actual perpetrator, whilst simultaneously stating that the OP is not at fault.

Because everything I know about the perp comes from a cheating drunk.

Hardly credible for me to attack a man knowing her reputation.
I'm far too tired to quote anything. You haven't quoted me out on all my self-contradictions so don't flatter yourself. I'm not continuing on with this thread as I should be working. So goodbye, don't quote me again. (look at the last couple of pages, it's on there).

I'm not screaming rape,.

She cried, he didn't stop. That doesn't sound like rape to you? That just sounds like a silly little regret filled drunken mistake? Really???

Thanks for flattering me again darling :wink:
Either you're being incredibly naive about the impacts of betrayal, or humouring me.

Someone who betrays someone else who has complete faith in them for their own purpose is low.

The victims are affected similarly in both cases. What better comparison is there?

A thief steals all your money from your house. A corporate lawyer steals all your money through trickery. Either way, you end up with no money. Who's really better here?

Also, there is no way to reduce the likelihood of being cheated on. Hoes gonna hoe.

Except rape regularly leaves its victims with PTSD, cheating doesn't. Don't go there.
Original post by JoeTSR
Except rape regularly leaves its victims with PTSD, cheating doesn't. Don't go there.

It does to an extent. That is one difference out of a hundred.

Betrayal is bad.
Since you asked to help him put it on, you kind of gave consent. Anyway, reevaluate your relationship with that guy and don't call the police for something like this- you have to realise that you were being foolish as well and there's no need to give the guy a harsh prison sentence (if he was convicted) for something like this. Anyway, I don't think it is rape in the traditional way- maybe it's a semi-rape.

Original post by Anonymous
So I drank A LOT (at least a litre) and my "friend's" friends put me on a bus and I vaguely remember like talking to everyone on the bus and I met this guy (he was completely sober) and I told him where I lived and he still took me to his apartment. I remember telling him to put on a condom cause I was not about to get pregnant or an STI just because I was drunk. He would stop every so often to "cuddle" and I just remember waking feeling like complete **** and seeing like 3 full condoms on the floor. He wanted to do it "again" in the morning but I kept refusing but he still tried and again I told him to put the condom on;. He wasn't like violent though but he was a complete stranger and was like a decade older than me (he knew my age). He didn't ask me for permission, he'd just stop for a bit if I started crying or stopped saying anything. I feel like I couldn't push him away though because I was smoking his cigarettes and staying at his house so it was essentially my fault for getting that drunk in the first place. And I dont even know if I was up for it or not but most likely not since I didnt even want to do it with my boyfriend when I was sober. He didnt really "force force" me so honestly I'm so confused right now, I literally just got home. I don't THINK I was raped because I dont remember much and it wasn't exactly traumatising like the first time it happened (I was younger). I just feel so dirty and I feel like it was my fault cause I didnt really stop stop him and I didnt go home when I should have and continued to go to his apartment so I did have some sort of control in which direction it could have gone in. I feel sick but I think that is just cause I'm hungover.

Should I just pretend it didnt happen and move on? One of those drunken mistakes things.
It does to an extent. That is one difference out of a hundred.

Betrayal is bad.

Yeah, when you've experienced crying under your desk every day, scanning every car, every person, being ostracized by all your friends, getting irritable at every little thing, having a mini panic attack whenever you hear a certain song, being unable to trust anyone at all, having constant flashbacks, not being able to focus on anything, horrible mood swings, the feeling it'll never end, the unbearable depression... come back and talk.

(did I mention all of that lasts for months/years, depending on the person?)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JoeTSR
Yeah, when you've experienced crying under your desk every day, scanning every car, every person, being ostracized by all your friends, getting irritable at every little thing, having a mini panic attack whenever you hear a certain song, being unable to trust anyone at all, having constant flashbacks, not being able to focus on anything, horrible mood swings, the feeling it'll never end, the unbearable depression... come back and talk.

(did I mention all of that lasts for months/years, depending on the person?)

Yeah, I'm here.

There's not much difference in the effects, Joe. Both victims are unfortunate for sure.

[in the case of cheating though, the worst thing is that it was all a lie, that there was nothing you could do to change it]
That shocking moment when you know who OP is.
That shocking moment when you know who OP is.

Then please: don't break their confidence, or divulge their identity. They've endured enough. :frown:
Original post by apronedsamurai
Then please: don't break their confidence, or divulge their identity. They've endured enough. :frown:

I'd never do that. One of the reason I am anonymous is so that no-one will question me.

Now I am just waiting for the OP to reply to my text messages :frown:
This was rape.

Rape is intercourse carried out without consent. Consent cannot be given by a person who is drunk, since they are not in a state of mind to give permission. He was sober, and was significantly older than you - he was mature enough and of a state of mind to realise that he should never have taken advantage of you while you were in that position. Additionally, the fact that he had to coerce you into it even while you were in this vulnerable position says it all. I'm not sure if you at any point said yes to him, but even if you never said no, that doesn't mean it wasn't rape.
Can't believe I'm actually gonna write this.

But I had a not so dissimilar experience. Sober.

I didn't say no. I didn't say yes. I didn't physically resist. I did cry though (although apparently that was my eyes watering due to his 'size').

I was at his apartment as well, we had been for dinner and there was no way I could easily get back home and Yknow I assumed that considering I knew the guy fairly well or was in the process of getting to know that it wasn't unreasonable to stay at his.

I had already mentioned earlier in the evening I did not wish to have sex to ensure that my staying there was not suggesting I wanted to.

But he just did it, and I let him do it, at no point did I say no but I certainly did not say yes.

I wasn't on the pill and he didn't wear a condom. I wasn't drunk and yet I still couldn't ask him to wrap up. I felt that paralysed.

I couldn't even tell him I didn't want him to cum inside me especially as I know I was ovulating around that time.

In the morning I left, with no real affection from him, and trudged into central London to wait for 3 hours in soho for the morning after pill.

Was I raped ? I don't think so. But I certainly didn't have enjoyable and consensual sex.

The option that it's one or the other is problematic; there is certainly a grey area, and it is a grey area that largely goes unspoken about.
I'd never do that. One of the reason I am anonymous is so that no-one will question me.

Now I am just waiting for the OP to reply to my text messages :frown:

Oh god, I wasn't accusing you! :frown:

I was just....it was meant rhetorically, you know?

Breaks my ****ing heart, rape :frown:
Original post by abraaacadabra
This was rape.

Rape is intercourse carried out without consent. Consent cannot be given by a person who is drunk, since they are not in a state of mind to give permission. He was sober, and was significantly older than you - he was mature enough and of a state of mind to realise that he should never have taken advantage of you while you were in that position. Additionally, the fact that he had to coerce you into it even while you were in this vulnerable position says it all. I'm not sure if you at any point said yes to him, but even if you never said no, that doesn't mean it wasn't rape.

Im not a fan of the saying "Consent cannot be given by a person who is drunk".
The person chose to get drunk. Since drinking is for 18+ only, the person drinking should be responsible for how much they consume. Nonetheless, the law is the law, so a person still cannot consent when they are drunk.

On the other hand, how can you question the alleged rapists maturity while OP was the one acting like an immature drunk in the bus?
"bus and I vaguely remember like talking to everyone on the bus and I met this guy (he was completely sober) "
Do you think a group of drunk people talk quietly on public transport?

Like seriously, OP says she wont go to the cops, but if she was actually raped she should have, and if what she says is true, there is stacking evidence against the alleged rapist. She clearly remembers him being sober. Was he sober for the whole night? How would OP know that?

EDIT: I believe OP is skewing/picking what she wants to say.
EDIT 2: I actually apologies for the first edit if you are writing the entire truth, its just that in 99% of cases where I have seen this, its mainly to do with regret than rape.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending