The Student Room Group

"Mickey mouse" subject at a decent uni? is it gonna cut it?

Let's say I'm pursuing a investment banking/finance/etc..job, is it very important to have a math/econ degree? I have an offer for management from Warwick and Manchester and I'm probably going to firm Warwick. Obviously management is the softest course the business school has to offer, but if the uni is decent(Warwick), am I still at a massive disadvantage compared to math/Econ students? I wanted to do Econ or accounting&finance but I don't have the maths they want so management is probably the closest I can get. I know mathematicians will always have the upper hand but is my position that bad? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Geromi912
Let's say I'm pursuing a investment banking/finance/etc..job, is it very important to have a math/econ degree? I have an offer for management from Warwick and Manchester and I'm probably going to firm Warwick. Obviously management is the softest course the business school has to offer, but if the uni is decent(Warwick), am I still at a massive disadvantage compared to math/Econ students? I wanted to do Econ or accounting&finance but I don't have the maths they want so management is probably the closest I can get. I know mathematicians will always have the upper hand but is my position that bad? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're over thinking it, uni rep > course.

Warwick Management passes the sniff test. Also, if you can't do the basic arithmetic involved in modelling, I'd be worried - a 10 year old could probably do that stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
You're over thinking it, uni rep > course.

Warwick Management passes the sniff test. Also, if you can't do the basic arithmetic involved in modelling, I'd be worried - a 10 year old could probably do that stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not that I can't do basic arithmetic, they want additional maths for Econ/accounting&finance and I just didn't do that subject. I'm an international student so the exam system is a bit different than a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Geromi912
It's not that I can't do basic arithmetic, they want additional maths for Econ/accounting&finance and I just didn't do that subject. I'm an international student so the exam system is a bit different than a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm assuming you want to get into IB, as you are posting in the IB forum? And thus your query is about how well your subject will prepare you for the career? The answer is, it won't. You'll be trained up like everyone else. Seeing as you indeed can do arithmetic, I don't know why you need to worry.

Management isn't 'Mickey Mouse', as long as you're happy with studying the course that's all that matters. As I said before, the institution (alongside ECs, personality, experience etc etc) is more important than what you study, so do whatever you enjoy the most.

So again, chillax and stop overthinking all of this stuff. It's unnecessary.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'll be going to Warwick to do the same course and yes, traditionalists will view your course as 'soft' as it can be quite a nebulous degree. In terms of recruiting in investment banking and finance you shouldn't have any problem with a management degree (especially from a good uni like Warwick) as it's more down to who you are as an individual and what you have to offer than what you studied. If it puts your mind at ease management is as soft as you make it; you get 14 electives across years 2 and 3 and can take 2 from other departments. My friend is a second year and he did one in CompSci one in Economics and the other 4 were finance/stats modules.Whether you choose Manchester or Warwick you'll be able to go abroad and study at a top business school, iirc Manchester have partnerships with the likes of Cornell, Bocconi, NUS, HKUST and more, Warwick have all of those + the likes of UPenn and HEC Paris where you'll have access to recruiters that will close any gap that you feel you may have vs Economics students and Mathematicians.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending