The Student Room Group

Have degrees become too common?

Degrees used to be for the rich and well-educated class of society. Anybody who had a degree was highly sought after. If you had a degree you were pretty much set for life. Fast forward to the present and degrees are dished out to pretty much anyone and everyone.
The majority of my year at school went on to university and I think this is the case for most schools nowadays.
There's pretty much a course for anything you can think of and entry requirements are much lower than they used to be, not to mention student finance and government grants; universities are pretty much open to anyone. Don't get me wrong, I believe that everyone has the right to be educated to whatever level they desire. However, I've noticed that degrees just don't offer the security that they used to anymore because they've become so common, meaning it's difficult to stand out. I know from my own experience and from my friends that employers don't just want someone with a degree nowadays, they want someone with real work experience and because graduate jobs are so competitive now most graduates end up in entry level roles with no relevance to their degree anyway, which they could've got without a degree.

It seems to me like the whole system has become a bit of a shambles. I'm interested to see what other people think about this and whether anyone agrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I think they are.
But the real question is how many of them are worth it?
I think they are. However, emigrate to a country that doesn't have an excess of degree holders and you'll probably be lapped up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't like saying degrees have become too common because it's good there's more choosing to pursue higher education, but they are common to an extent it's harder to stand out with one alone now I'd say, yes.

It's part of the reason I want to go for an MA (along with the fact I want to learn for as long as the government will allow me :lol:). It gives you an edge.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Moonstruck16
I think they are. However, emigrate to a country that doesn't have an excess of degree holders and you'll probably be lapped up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting. I wonder why this trend of everyone going to university hasn't taken off so much abroad.
Reply 5
Original post by acupofgreentea
I don't like saying degrees have become too common because it's good there's more choosing to pursue higher education, but they are common to an extent it's harder to stand out with one alone now I'd say, yes.

It's part of the reason I want to go for an MA (along with the fact I want to learn for as long as the government will allow me :lol:). It gives you an edge.

This is the other thing - I've noticed that more people are studying Masters also.
Surely this isn't good for our economy? I mean, obviously it has personal financial benefits (or does it!?) but, the sooner people get into full time work, the better?
Original post by Stk1010
Degrees used to be for the rich and well-educated class of society. Anybody who had a degree was highly sought after. If you had a degree you were pretty much set for life. Fast forward to the present and degrees are dished out to pretty much anyone and everyone.
The majority of my year at school went on to university and I think this is the case for most schools nowadays.
There's pretty much a course for anything you can think of and entry requirements are much lower than they used to be, not to mention student finance and government grants; universities are pretty much open to anyone. Don't get me wrong, I believe that everyone has the right to be educated to whatever level they desire. However, I've noticed that degrees just don't offer the security that they used to anymore because they've become so common, meaning it's difficult to stand out. I know from my own experience and from my friends that employers don't just want someone with a degree nowadays, they want someone with real work experience and because graduate jobs are so competitive now most graduates end up in entry level roles with no relevance to their degree anyway, which they could've got without a degree.

It seems to me like the whole system has become a bit of a shambles. I'm interested to see what other people think about this and whether anyone agrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know why, but the Government are actually going to stop giving grants but I guess there's at least student loans. I think it depends on the job really, I know if some people graduate they have a job that does not really relate to their degree. I think Entry Requirments are less lower than they used to be, but I think its a good thing that Degrees are "more common" nowadays as research is promoted and people can have advanced knowledge and understanding of a topic they love/want to do
Original post by Stk1010
Interesting. I wonder why this trend of everyone going to university hasn't taken off so much abroad.

I'm not too knowledgeable about other countries but in the city I'm from in in Italy, many people go down the family business route. A lot do go to university but from what I gather, people aren't pressured into it if they clearly aren't suited for it/shouldn't go. Also the high unemployment rates in some countries may mean that young people can't be supported by their families or support themselves.

I also have no idea about student loans systems/if they exist in other countries. I would guess a correlation between the availability of a loan and how many people go to university.
Reply 8
There are too many universities.
Original post by Josb

This. When you think about how big the UK actually is, there are A LOT of universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stk1010
Degrees used to be for the rich and well-educated class of society

And you think this was a good thing? That there was such gross inequality in something as essential as education? What is the point in only allowing the richest of society to send their kids to university who in turn will send theirs and so forth? What about the rest of society, i.e. the majority? Try and think about whether this is just and fair and productive.
Original post by Josb

How can there be too many places of research and education?
It's quite scary how obtuse and short-sighted some people are on here when they are genuinely concerned about human beings becoming on average more educated, more intelligent and more equal. It's a natural progression that we should all be encouraging. Of course degrees are becoming more common, just as A-levels became more common, and this pattern will continue ad infinitum as the human race progresses. We want the average intelligence/education level to always be rising so that people are increasingly influential on the planet and contribute more to our progression.
Reply 13
Original post by macromicro
How can there be too many places of research and education?

When graduates can't find jobs with their degrees.
Reply 14
It's quite scary how obtuse and short-sighted some people are on here when they are genuinely concerned about human beings becoming on average more educated, more intelligent and more equal. It's a natural progression that we should all be encouraging. Of course degrees are becoming more common, just as A-levels became more common, and this pattern will continue ad infinitum as the human race progresses. We want the average intelligence/education level to always be rising so that people are increasingly influential on the planet and contribute more to our progression.

Degree =/= intelligence
Everyone has a degree and everyone has a Master's. That is why I'm doing a doctorate - so I can stand out. No one copy me please.
Original post by Josb
When graduates can't find jobs with their degrees.

Take a moment to think about how illogical your claim is.

You think less people should go to university so that there are less human beings who can do the same higher level jobs? In other words, you think it would be better if the average human was less educated and less able to do more complex tasks for society simply so that getting one of these higher level jobs would be easier for others who also want them?

You don't see any better solution here? Such as perhaps making use of the increasing education and productivity of humans? No you think we should just dumb ourselves down to make current jobs less competitive?
Original post by Josb
Degree =/= intelligence

Nonsense. A degree is education of an advanced and rigorous kind that develops the brain. Intelligence is derived from both nature and nurture. A brain with good genes must be developed via education to be great. A brain with bad genes must be improved via education.
Reply 18
And you think this was a good thing? That there was such gross inequality in something as essential as education? What is the point in only allowing the richest of society to send their kids to university who in turn will send theirs and so forth? What about the rest of society, i.e. the majority? Try and think about whether this is just and fair and productive.

Damn, perhaps you need to go to university to learn to read and not sensationalise. If you had read my post in full, which evidently you did not, you know exactly where I stand in terms of educational equality, I quote, 'Don't get me wrong, I believe that everybody has the right to be educated to whatever level they desire'. I never suggested that only the rich, upper class members of society should be able to attend university. I was merely stating a historical truth. Nonetheless, it is a concern when people are spending ridiculous amounts of money on three/four year degrees only to finish university and land themselves an entry level job which they could have otherwise got without going to university or they land themselves a job completely irrelevant to their degree in which case what was the point?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's better for a society to be more educated. The notion that only some should be, seems preposterous.

I do think, however, that new non-tertiary education routes into employment should be developed and highlighted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending