The Student Room Group

Changing limits in integration by substitution

When you change the limits according to the substitution and you end up with a lower number as a upper limit (i.e. 0) and a higher number as a lower limit (i.e. 2), do you just swap the two numbers and change the sign of the integral?
Reply 1
Original post by mp_x
When you change the limits according to the substitution and you end up with a lower number as a upper limit (i.e. 0) and a higher number as a lower limit (i.e. 2), do you just swap the two numbers and change the sign of the integral?

Yeah, from what I've learnt, you are supposed to always put the bigger number at the top :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by mp_x

yes
Reply 4
Original post by cookiemonster15
Yeah, from what I've learnt, you are supposed to always put the bigger number at the top :smile:

Original post by M14B
yes

I guess what I meant to ask was why. Why must you change the sign of the integral when swapping the limits?
Reply 5
Original post by mp_x

Well... it doesn't really make a difference, does it? You can certainly do that if you wish.
Original post by mp_x
I guess what I meant to ask was why. Why must you change the sign of the integral when swapping the limits?

To give you a positive answer
Reply 7
Original post by mp_x

Let's say f(x)f(x) integrates to F(x)F(x), then you have abf(x)dx=F(b)F(a)\int_a^b f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x= F(b) - F(a) and

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*}\int_b^a f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x = F(a) - F(b) = -(F(b) - F(a)) = -\int_a^b f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x\end{equation*}

Quick Reply

Latest