The Student Room Group

How do I tell my sixth form I'm leaving?

I'm a high achiever in Year 12 (AAA in mocks) and my sixth form are pushing me to apply for Head Girl. I do Politics, Psychology and English. The problem is that I have only been able to get those grade through using CGP revision guides and TSR! :frown: My lessons are always cancelled and we are rarely taught (we haven't even finished the syllabi yet). I get on well with the teachers when they're in and I enjoy my time there, but the cancelled lessons are getting too much. Before Easter I had a 4 (!!) day weekend due to the cancelled lessons and it's making me anxious about exams as I do not feel prepared enough by the school. We aren't set cover either, and we won't have finished by exam time. I have complained but nothing was done.
I've been accepted into a college a county away from where I am now. I'm doing Science subjects and Psychology there, restarting as a Year 12.
I know my head of sixth will go mad and get confrontational when I tell the school I'm not enrolling for next year. Exams for me finish in May, so I was planning not to go in after but I think it's a bit rude if I don't let them know. How do I tell my Sixth form I'm leaving? Do I leave a letter? Help!
Original post by KristaWinchester
I'm a high achiever in Year 12 (AAA in mocks) and my sixth form are pushing me to apply for Head Girl. I do Politics, Psychology and English. The problem is that I have only been able to get those grade through using CGP revision guides and TSR! :frown: My lessons are always cancelled and we are rarely taught (we haven't even finished the syllabi yet). I get on well with the teachers when they're in and I enjoy my time there, but the cancelled lessons are getting too much. Before Easter I had a 4 (!!) day weekend due to the cancelled lessons and it's making me anxious about exams as I do not feel prepared enough by the school. We aren't set cover either, and we won't have finished by exam time. I have complained but nothing was done.
I've been accepted into a college a county away from where I am now. I'm doing Science subjects and Psychology there, restarting as a Year 12.
I know my head of sixth will go mad and get confrontational when I tell the school I'm not enrolling for next year. Exams for me finish in May, so I was planning not to go in after but I think it's a bit rude if I don't let them know. How do I tell my Sixth form I'm leaving? Do I leave a letter? Help!

Hand in a letter to them:smile:
Restart year 12 when you're on track for AAA?

Why don't you transfer to another sixth form for year 13? Why not wait until you get your results before you make your decision?

Is taking science subjects really worth doing another whole year?
Reply 3
"Hey suckers,

Imma leave this s***hole forever and you f***ers can do nothing about it.

With love
OG"
Original post by claireestelle
Hand in a letter to them:smile:

Thank you! I wasn't too sure what to put in it, could you please give me some advice? :smile:

Original post by Abstract_Prism
Restart year 12 when you're on track for AAA?

Why don't you transfer to another sixth form for year 13? Why not wait until you get your results before you make your decision?

Is taking science subjects really worth doing another whole year?

I have the experience of sixth form now, so second time around I think it'll go better. I felt I needed to make a decision as I've cried myself to sleep over the stress too many times to count, and I dread going in- my mental health (which is normally pretty good) isn't worth even AAA. What's a year, anyway? :smile: A mix of science and humanities (rather than just humanities, like I'm doing now) has better prospects and a mix keeps my options open for the future.

Original post by BWV1007
"Hey suckers,

Imma leave this s***hole forever and you f***ers can do nothing about it.

With love
OG"

Love it :wink:

A letter would be most formal
Thank you! I wasn't too sure what to put in it, could you please give me some advice? :smile:

I have the experience of sixth form now, so second time around I think it'll go better. I felt I needed to make a decision as I've cried myself to sleep over the stress too many times to count, and I dread going in- my mental health (which is normally pretty good) isn't worth even AAA. A mix of science and humanities (rather than just humanities, like I'm doing now) has better prospects and a mix keeps my options open for the future.

Put what you ve said here :smile:
I would check with LEA to ensure they are ok about you leaving or get support from the college you are with to confirm with the LEA that you arent falling foul of any duty to stay in education. Once you have their approval, then just do them a short letter thanking them but saying youve decided to study elsewhere.
As long as its legal and you have the support of your parents and LEA, then they cant do anything. theor support will indicate you have the ccorrect approvals.rather than you deciding to quit as a teenager and jeopardising any responsibiliyu they have for your education.

The reason to have the letter is just in case they are unhappy then you can leave it with them rather than worry about what to say. Good for you for being so pro active and making an important decision.

Quick Reply

Latest