The Student Room Group

The great Corbyn tax bungle - update

New developments in the Corbyn tax saga. His aides have now admitted that he should have declared his pension income on his tax return but did not do so. They have also admitted that he failed to declare outside income to the parliamentary register of interests within the 28 days required.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/73752/corbyn-admits-failing-include-pension-income-tax

Corbyn essentially had an open goal with the PM's tax arrangements. While they weren't at the extreme end of offshore tax shenanigans by any means, they could easily feed into the perception of a wealthy and out-of-touch government. If articulated correctly, it could have been the coup-de-grace against a government that has been floundering due to EU infighting, the Port Talbot Steel closure, the budget shambles and other u-turns like tax credits and disability cuts.

Unfortunately Corbyn bungled it yet again; Labour should be well ahead in the polls at this point, but in fact they are still behind and I wouldn't be surprised if they still are when the next poll is released.

I suspect this will merely confirm for the moderate faction in the PLP the absolute necessity of bringing a leadership challenge. Every basis on which Corbyn claims to be different and unique (that he is somehow uniquely clean in financial areas, that he always stands by his principles etc) have all been shown to be false.
Reply 1
What is your issue with Corbyn?
Original post by M14B

Why are you so personally offended that I bring up these issues? Major public figures attract major scrutiny, it's a matter of public interest.

Are you saying it's not a matter of interest if Corbyn has broken the law? In the past I have posted similar threads about the Tories. But given Corbyn is totally incompetent and destroying the Labour Party of which I'm a loyal member, he needs to be brought down first.

And other TSRians are interested in this. If you're not, feel free not to comment rather than making snide remarks implying there's something wrong with holding the Dear Leader up to scrutiny
Original post by M14B

And as far why I dislike Corbyn, why wouldn't anyone dislike a man who accepted thousands of pounds in payment from a government that stones women and hangs gay people from cranes?

Why wouldn't anyone dislike a man who praises as "dedicated to peace and social justice" a group that calls for all Jews worldwide to be exterminated?

It seems there's an eminently justifiable basis for seeing Corbyn as a millstone around the Labour Party's neck. If you don't like seeing politicians held up to scrutiny, perhaps this forum is a bit too stimulating for you?
Reply 4
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
Why are you so personally offended that I bring up these issues? Major public figures attract major scrutiny, it's a matter of public interest.

Are you saying it's not a matter of interest if Corbyn has broken the law? In the past I have posted similar threads about the Tories. But given Corbyn is totally incompetent and destroying the Labour Party of which I'm a loyal member, he needs to be brought down first.

And other TSRians are interested in this. If you're not, feel free not to comment rather than making snide remarks implying there's something wrong with holding the Dear Leader up to scrutiny

I do not get upset.
Original post by M14B
I do not get upset.

I don't think I said upset, I said offended. I recall you made a comment along similar lines yesterday objecting to the fact I make threads about Corbyn.

Why does it rub you the wrong way? Are you a Corbynista? (genuine question)
As much as i like corbyn, these revelations concern me. I would like to think its merely error on his part, but it does make me lose faith and trust in him.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
As much as i like corbyn, these revelations concern me. I would like to think its merely error on his part, but it does make me lose faith and trust in him.

I wouldn't say that he was deliberately trying to be dishonest by failing to declare the extra income in the parliamentary register and declare the pension income on his tax return

But it is part of a general pattern of incompetence and, I would say, contempt for the kind of basic, administrative requirements that fall on any adult. From his tax return you can see he didn't even bother to fill in a lot of the questions, which are mandatory.

The problem is, whether it's laziness or contemptuousness, it does create a problem for the Labour Party. The most important thing is to get Labour back into government to look after those people who are most vulnerable and desperately need to be out from under this Tory government. It seems like Corbyn often puts his own self-indulgence before the good of the party,
Original post by AJ KO
X

Are you still obsessed with what threads I choose to make?Far easier to put you on mute and add you to my blocking list rather than have to read your whining every time I make a thread about the Opposition Leader

That way I also don't have to read your bizarre homophobic remarks and general rambling complaints about anyone who makes an adverse comment about Islam
Reply 9
I don't think I said upset, I said offended. I recall you made a comment along similar lines yesterday objecting to the fact I make threads about Corbyn.

Why does it rub you the wrong way? Are you a Corbynista? (genuine question)

I am not offended either.
Original post by M14B
I am not offended either.

You sort-of do seem to be, but I won't press the issue. If it rubs you the wrong way, then feel free to take a different turn when you see one of these threads come up next time.

That way it won't cause you distress.
Reply 11
You sort-of do seem to be, but I won't press the issue. If it rubs you the wrong way, then feel free to take a different turn when you see one of these threads come up next time.

That way it won't cause you distress.

I merely humouring you.
:colone:
Original post by Farm_Ecology

Generally speaking, the way someone does one thing is how they do everything.

It was either a pretty hefty oversight, or a hypocritical move to hide a lot of money. Either way, doesn't look too good on Jezz!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending