The Student Room Group

Optional Industrial Placement question

I've applied for a 4 year Engineering course in Bath Uni.
However there is an optional industrial placement, so if I do that it would mean my course will be extended to 5 years.

Currently I have selected my 4 year engineering course on student finance, but what would happen if I ended up doing the optional industrial placement? Would I not get paid for the last year?

Thanks in advance :smile: Just a bit confused!
Original post by Orangething775
However there is an optional industrial placement, so if I do that it would mean my course will be extended to 5 years.

Currently I have selected my 4 year engineering course on student finance, but what would happen if I ended up doing the optional industrial placement? Would I not get paid for the last year?

If you're likely to take the placement ask Bath to enrol you onto the 5 year course when your place is confirmed in August (and send SFE a Change in Circumstances form). This will give you the most flexibility.

Otherwise it will be possible to switch from a short to a longer course BUT this uses up your "gift" year (your funding is for length of your course + one year) so if you have to suspend and repeat a year for some unforeseen reason then you aren't likely to get funding for the additional year.

If you're enrolled on the 5 year course from the start then you'll have to possibility of 6 years funding so wont have to sacrifice your placement if something like illness or family problems interfere with your studies.
Hello!

I'm Rob, a second year civil engineer.

It looks like you've already had a great answer, but I'll just add to it, from a Bath point of view.

If you have signed up for the 4 year masters, then it will turn into 5 years including the placement. If you are planning on doing the 3 year Beng then it will become 4 years. As far as the university are concerned, you are more than welcome to transfer to/from the placement course at any point up until you go. You'll simply need to download a form which you will need to take to the correct office.

Student finance is still available during your placement year, and you will have a reduced student fee to pay.

The student finance system and the Bath course system are of course separate so it is important that you have yourself registered for the same thing, on both systems when the time comes.

Basically all engineering placements are paid, and will be a great opportunity to put your university knowledge into practice!

I hope that helps.

Feel free to ask if you would like to know more about Bath's placements.

Rob

Original post by Orangething775

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending