The Student Room Group

Stephen Fry - abuse victims should "grow up" - opinions?

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2016/apr/12/stephen-fry-fury-comments-abuse-victims-self-pity-charity-mind

Personally, I am absolutely disgusted at his comments, especially given his position as president of the largest mental health charity in the UK. If it was up to me, he should resign. As someone with mental health problems, I don't see how he can represent the views of vulnerable people, abuse victims, and those with mental illness.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

I think his comment in the context he made them are quite valid

'he had no sympathy for child abuse victims’ “self-pity” if it meant restricting free speech.'

He's specifically talking about the context of using abuse as a method to close down free speech

Fry said people who wanted warnings on disturbing texts needed to grow up.

“There are many great plays which contain rapes, and the word rape now is even considered a rape,” he said. “If you say: ‘you can’t watch this play, you can’t watch Titus Andronicus, or you can’t read it in a Shakespeare class, or you can’t read Macbeth because it’s got children being killed in it, it might trigger something when you were young that upset you once, because uncle touched you in a nasty place’, well I’m sorry.

It’s a great shame and we’re all very sorry that your uncle touched you in that nasty place, you get some of my sympathy, but your self-pity gets none of my sympathy because self-pity is the ugliest emotion in humanity.'

he went on to add

“Get rid of it, because no one’s going to like you if you feel sorry for yourself. The irony is we’ll feel sorry for you, if you stop feeling sorry for yourself. Just grow up.”
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
He's a poster child for self pity himself. I can't stand him. Pompous, arrogant, self-absorbed, ass of a man.
Completely in agreement with him, and not at all surprised that people are falling over each other trying to claim that they're more offended by this than anybody else.

Original post by bullettheory
If it was up to me, he should resign.

The mentality he was alluding to, in a nutshell. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Howard
He's a poster child for self pity himself. I can't stand him. Pompous, arrogant, self-absorbed, ass of a man.

yeah hes always talking about his depression :rolleyes:
Some things he is top class at articulating, others not so. This is the latter.
That's not what he said, at least not in the way you're implying. He was talking about pitying yourself and that it isn't useful for anyone, which is something any rational person can agree with.

Self pity and feeling sorry for yourself is pathetic no matter what the reason is. Not only that, it's very easy for that self pity to lead to depression because it's all you think about.
Reply 7
I agree. You cannot expect literature/media to cater to you.
Reply 8
Original post by Sad Beta
yeah hes always talking about his depression :rolleyes:

Yes. It's funny how his depression is important enough to make a documentary about. And yet those who are depressed or have their lives ruined by abuse should just stop feeling sorry for themselves and grow up. Go figure!

How this man ever came to be considered by millions as a "national treasure" is beyond my comprehension.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BaconandSauce
I think his comment in the context he made them are quite valid

'he had no sympathy for child abuse victims’ “self-pity” if it meant restricting free speech.'

He's specifically talking about the context of using abuse as a method to close down free speech

Fry said people who wanted warnings on disturbing texts needed to grow up.

“There are many great plays which contain rapes, and the word rape now is even considered a rape,” he said. “If you say: ‘you can’t watch this play, you can’t watch Titus Andronicus, or you can’t read it in a Shakespeare class, or you can’t read Macbeth because it’s got children being killed in it, it might trigger something when you were young that upset you once, because uncle touched you in a nasty place’, well I’m sorry.

It’s a great shame and we’re all very sorry that your uncle touched you in that nasty place, you get some of my sympathy, but your self-pity gets none of my sympathy because self-pity is the ugliest emotion in humanity.'

he went on to add

“Get rid of it, because no one’s going to like you if you feel sorry for yourself. The irony is we’ll feel sorry for you, if you stop feeling sorry for yourself. Just grow up.”

I understand it was in the context of a discussion on free speech, however the way he talked about abuse was surely, distasteful at best. At the end of the day he was attacking abuse survivors about finding it hard to move on from their abuse. I would have expected anyone, especially someone who has experienced his own troubles to understand that moving on can be extremely difficult.
Original post by Howard
Yes. It's funny how his depression is important enough to make a documentary about it and project it into the living rooms of the British public. And yet those who are depressed or have their lives ruined by abuse should just stop feeling sorry for themselves and grow up? Go figure!

How this man ever came to be considered by millions as a "national treasure" is beyond my comprehension.

He's another leftwing luvvie hypocrite like Charlie brooker IMO (who insisted the Guardian turn off posts on his articles because he was getting criticised)
Original post by Zargabaath
That's not what he said, at least not in the way you're implying. He was talking about pitying yourself and that it isn't useful for anyone, which is something any rational person can agree with.

Self pity and feeling sorry for yourself is pathetic no matter what the reason is. Not only that, it's very easy for that self pity to lead to depression because it's all you think about.

To be honest, I don't think you have understood why people become depressed after abuse, it isn't because they just spend their time feeling sorry for themselves. Sometimes, after abuse, a person needs to the time to just be angry and to express their raw emotion at "why me" - and a skilled professional would know not to rush that and to work with it. It's not easy to just jump up and get on with life again.
Original post by Hydeman
Completely in agreement with him, and not at all surprised that people are falling over each other trying to claim that they're more offended by this than anybody else.

The mentality he was alluding to, in a nutshell. :tongue:

I guess so :tongue: however, I just feel if he wants to make those comments, he shouldn't be representing the views of people who he has made these comments about. Especially as many of them are offended by it!
I guess so :tongue: however, I just feel if he wants to make those comments, he shouldn't be representing the views of people who he has made these comments about. Especially as many of them are offended by it!

I don't feel particularly strongly about his positions in mental health charities. I also don't think that offence, largely incurred by the offended parties' own misunderstanding of the comments (how many people actually read anything but the headline before forming very strong opinions about the story? :holmes:), isn't a good enough reason for anybody to have to resign. :beard:
Reply 14
Original post by Sad Beta
He's another leftwing luvvie hypocrite like Charlie brooker IMO (who insisted the Guardian turn off posts on his articles because he was getting criticised)

He doesn't take criticism well that's for sure. I just find him such a complete bore.
Original post by Hydeman
I don't feel particularly strongly about his positions in mental health charities. I also don't think that offence, largely incurred by the offended parties' own misunderstanding of the comments, isn't a good enough reason for anybody to have to resign. :beard:

Is it misunderstanding though? He clearly says "grow up" when talking about abuse survivors

It’s a great shame and we’re all very sorry that your uncle touched you in that nasty place you get some of my sympathy but your self pity gets none of my sympathy.

Self pity is the ugliest emotion in humanity. Get rid of it, because no one’s going to like you if you feel sorry for yourself. The irony is we’ll feel sorry for you, if you stop feeling sorry for yourself. Just grow up.

How is that misunderstanding. He's not talking about free speech or censoring here, he is talking about the reactions from people who have been abused. He clearly attacks a natural reaction, and then tells them to grow up. Where have I misunderstood that?
I understand it was in the context of a discussion on free speech, however the way he talked about abuse was surely, distasteful at best. At the end of the day he was attacking abuse survivors about finding it hard to move on from their abuse. I would have expected anyone, especially someone who has experienced his own troubles to understand that moving on can be extremely difficult.

sorry but distaste is in the eye of the beholder and you are kind of proving his point.

He's not talking about free speech or censoring here

and I quote

'no sympathy for child abuse victims’ “self-pity” if it meant restricting free speech.'
Original post by BaconandSauce
sorry but distaste is in the eye of the beholder and you are kind of proving his point.

I think free speech is great, no problem with it. However, when it is used to attack vulnerable people and disempower them, surely that isn't the whole point of it? Is that the goal of free speech? At the end of the day, people who have experienced abuse are disgusted by it. Those who haven't had those experiences may not feel anything towards this, or may even agree with his comments. But is it going to effect their life? Not really. However, to those who are already vulnerable, it can have a big impact. Don't you think we have a duty to try and help protect them?
I can see his point that free speech shouldn't be shut down, but there's a caveat. Free speech isn't a ticket to talk whatever s**t you want, just because you're allowed to. By all means, state your opinion, but be tactful and don't be a jerk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending