The Student Room Group

Shocking video shows school worker punching autistic boy after racial remark

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingKoala
Wait, are you saying he is going to have a shitty life because he is autistic?

Yeah, relative to most people that is probably true.
Reply 41
Can't stop laughing.

Need to go pray for my sins
Reply 42
Original post by Dinasaurus
Even if I was to condemn the man, I do not sympathise with the kid, if it's not a fault of his parents that he is racist then who's is it?

He apparently has the mental age of a 6 year old, I would not dare make such remarks at age 6.

I strongly recommend you research autism and learn a bit about what it is before making such ill informed comments again in the future, like already said, that's not how autism works, the child probably doesn't understand why what he said was wrong. Racism is a horrible thing and had the boy been a grown man who knew full well what he was saying then of course I'd have little sympathy for him, but that's clearly not the case here. I wouldn't blame the worker for being upset at such a comment and speaking to the child about it, but for a trained professional to react this way when he knows full well the social difficulties the child will have and that he won't understand why what he's said is wrong, is absolutely appalling, as are his comments to the media afterwards:

“Who gets hit and doesn’t respond?” Parker said to the newspaper. “The kid punched me in the eye first and as a reflex he got hit back.”

“I knew it was on camera,” the 59-year-old added. “If it was intentional, I would have taken him to another room and beaten the snot out of him.”

'Beaten the snot out of him', he's talking about an autistic child he was supposed to be helping ffs. One wonders how someone like this even ended up working with special needs children in the first place.
(edited 7 years ago)
Awful, but I'd be interested to find out where the $5mil of damages was caused....
Saw this thread floating about in the news section and didn't bother to check it. Just read it all. It is one of the most disappointing threads I've seen on here.
Although I agree it with unprofessional for a grown man to punch a child, considering the fact the child punched the man and also made a racial remark, I do not have sympathy for him. But considering how shitty his life is going to be, I doubt he needs more punishment.

Reading your comment pissed me off... To describe something as shitty as a grown man beating up an autistic kid 'unprofessional' is awful, than to say you have no sympathy for the kid is just disgusting.
I know what the kid says was bad and his actions weren't great but that didn't give the adult the right to punch the kid. You also have to remember that the kid is autistic so you got to cut him some slack.
Original post by G8D
Anyone suggesting that an autistic 11 year old should be punched by an adult for saying or doing something as minor as what happened here needs sorting out.

Racist and violent behaviour is not minor.I believe the boy is accountable to the law as he is above 10 whether he is autistic or not such physical violence is illegal and racist remarks causing racial hatred are also illegal, the teacher was acting in self defense if the child hits the teacher should hit back or else children can get away with everything and keep hitting the child and then the teacher could be severely injured or die.

The child at 11 years old will probably have decent physical strength so you can't just allow him to keep hitting as many people on this thread would think.

Special needs doesn't cause bad behaviour either what the boy said was clearly racist and could only be interpreted that he preferred white people or disliked black people which is unacceptable.I have seen many parents claim their child's bad behaviour is due to a condition and it isn't true the majority of people with these conditions behave well, behaving well is obeying the teacher and not being nasty the opposite of these isn't caused by some condition.
Original post by Mathemagicien
At what age does it become (in your mind) unacceptable to beat the snot out of someone for offensive remarks or slight violence towards you then? Would you beat a toddler to a bloody rag if he called you names? What if a newborn pushed you? Would you kick her head in?

You should be allowed to hit them but I wouldn't as I would probably get into trouble.
Original post by JordanL_
Sad that after all this time, people still don't even try to understand mental illness. :frown:

Sad after all this time that we excuse bad behaviour in the name of mental illness.The majority of people with autism don't behave like this and this sort of thinking will shame those with autism and those with mental illness.Autistic people certainly have communication problems but that doesn't mean they are racist and violent it usually just means they end up being socially excluded and have few friends and won't talk much in class except when its essential, they often don't understand what to say but they know what not to say or do.

These beliefs will shame people with mental illness and autism, who will then be bullied by people because people think they must be nasty and racist as they are autistic so will not like them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dalek1099
Racist and violent behaviour is not minor.

The gravity of "racist behaviour" is purely subjective. Violence depends who it is coming from, if you beat a kid's head in you'll get thrown in prison regardless of if he started it or not.
Original post by Jebedee
The gravity of "racist behaviour" is purely subjective. Violence depends who it is coming from, if you beat a kid's head in you'll get thrown in prison regardless of if he started it or not.

His actions should be covered in self defense though as the child was just hitting them and they hit back.

http://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/2014/10/is-it-legal-to-fight-back-if-someone-hits-you-first.html

"In a physical confrontation, self defense typically allows a person who reasonably believes he is about to be hit to defend himself.".

"Self defense also only allows for a proportional response. This means that if someone hits you with his fist, you may not necessarily be justified in pulling out a gun and shooting him."

Therefore, since he just hit the child as he was being hit he should be covered.The only problem is the potential ageism against him because its a child, the child is over the age of 10 though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/comments/1677zu/uk_lawyers_is_there_a_law_against_selfdefense_vs/

"Self defense has no specifics against minors or adults. You would defend yourself using reasonable force under common law to do so. The self defense has to be immediate, and has to be reasonable. Any act you do cannot be planned, ie, wait around a corner and jump them. But if they punched you and you pushed them/punched them off of you, you are in the right."

It looks as if the school official was in the right he only punched back once I think.
His actions should be covered in self defense though as the child was just hitting them and they hit back.

http://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/2014/10/is-it-legal-to-fight-back-if-someone-hits-you-first.html

"In a physical confrontation, self defense typically allows a person who reasonably believes he is about to be hit to defend himself.".

"Self defense also only allows for a proportional response. This means that if someone hits you with his fist, you may not necessarily be justified in pulling out a gun and shooting him."

Therefore, since he just hit the child as he was being hit he should be covered.The only problem is the potential ageism against him because its a child, the child is over the age of 10 though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/comments/1677zu/uk_lawyers_is_there_a_law_against_selfdefense_vs/

"Self defense has no specifics against minors or adults. You would defend yourself using reasonable force under common law to do so. The self defense has to be immediate, and has to be reasonable. Any act you do cannot be planned, ie, wait around a corner and jump them. But if they punched you and you pushed them/punched them off of you, you are in the right."

It looks as if the school official was in the right he only punched back once I think.

So explain why he's now got a criminal record and is out of a job if what he did was right?

Are we talking whether it was legal or moral?
UK law is inherently sexist (no rape law for male victims) and often takes sides with parties based on race or religion so I don't think looking into specifics of the law will bring us any answers.

As for moral, I think you'd be flogging a dead horse trying to make out punching an autistic kid would be justified. Unless he was carrying an offensive weapon.
Original post by Jebedee
It's a remark from an autistic kid. Be an adult and rise above it. Sounds like you're plucking that mindset from the SJW fairytale of these mythical racist beasts who live underground and should be slain instantly on sight.

So autism>racism in your little fairytale of racism?

My issue is violence. If the kid weren't autistic he could get beat then?

Anyway, I wish racism were a ****ing fairytale. Ignorant ass post.

Here's a recap:
-I don't agree with you minimizing racism to being a fairytale
-I agree no one should get beat for words
-but I agree he shouldn't get beat just for being autistic. No condition excuses hatred. But no one should get beat for words.
Original post by LittleMissMay

Here's a recap:
-but I agree he shouldn't get beat just for being autistic. No condition excuses hatred. But no one should get beat for words.

Words like those used signal prejudice and discrimination and must be stamped out.I certainly can't blame the school official for the way he acted racism to a black person is deeply offensive not only for the racism but of what that racism has caused in the past and is still causing now.

I can't excuse the childs actions because they had autism I am not convinced that automatically means massive memory problems as they would have been told about 10 times in their life that what they just did is completely unacceptable.Children are told the rules and know that they have to obey the teacher.
Yeah, relative to most people that is probably true.

Depends on the severity and how it affects each person who has it.
Words like those used signal prejudice and discrimination and must be stamped out.I certainly can't blame the school official for the way he acted racism to a black person is deeply offensive not only for the racism but of what that racism has caused in the past and is still causing now.

I can't excuse the childs actions because they had autism I am not convinced that automatically means massive memory problems as they would have been told about 10 times in their life that what they just did is completely unacceptable.Children are told the rules and know that they have to obey the teacher.

I don't even get this; so are you saying you're for child abuse or...?
Original post by LittleMissMay

Here's a recap:

I'm the one objecting to this whole view that we have to calculate who is more oppressed out of an autistic person and a black person before we issue judgement. I wouldn't advocate him to be hit if he weren't autistic either because he's a kid.

Would it be justified if he called him an *******? Whether he used a racial slur or a general insult it is just words and they only have power if you give them power with your insecurities.

That doesn't mean I'm saying racism isn't a problem but can't you see people seem to care more about saying racist things than doing racist things these days? That's a problem.

Words like those used signal prejudice and discrimination and must be stamped out.I certainly can't blame the school official for the way he acted racism to a black person is deeply offensive not only for the racism but of what that racism has caused in the past and is still causing now.I can't excuse the childs actions because they had autism I am not convinced that automatically means massive memory problems as they would have been told about 10 times in their life that what they just did is completely unacceptable.Children are told the rules and know that they have to obey the teacher.

Please explain not only how a 10 year old autistic child is supposed to understand the ins and outs of black American history and also why you feel he is somehow responsible for any ills 150 years ago?

If a black guy called him a white slur and he got up and beat the black guy to a pulp with a chair, is it ok as long as he can quote some historical context where black people victimised white people en masse? If not then you are the racist.
(edited 7 years ago)
Where do you think he got his 6 red gems from? :tongue:

I don't know :s-smilie: lol

Original post by Jebedee
I'm the one objecting to this whole view that we have to calculate who is more oppressed out of an autistic person and a black person before we issue judgement. I wouldn't advocate him to be hit if he weren't autistic either because he's a kid.

Would it be justified if he called him an *******? Whether he used a racial slur or a general insult it is just words and they only have power if you give them power with your insecurities.

That doesn't mean I'm saying racism isn't a problem but can't you see people seem to care more about saying racist things than doing racist things these days? That's a problem.

I meant to say "but I disagree with you saying he shouldn't get beat just for being autistic." I think you understood that but I just wanna clarify. I also do not think racism is ok just because he's disabled so go easy on him. But there are other ways to let his little ass know not to say horrible stuff.

So no one should get beat for words. If it's hate speech turn to the law, or learn comebacks. Resorting to violence against anyone for something that minor is pathological.

As for the racism, you minimised feeling offended to being a paranoid SJW. I do however believe words are wasted on some specimen. The ones who keep doing what you have repeatedly told them not to, that's called stupid. But he's hired to work with the disabled, he needs training and an asthma pump to calm himself down. And then he needs to let the autist know to watch his mouth. If the autist has been told the same thing I understand getting violent because words aren't working and if the situation is deep enough that you feel he just has to learn, then ok use force. Otherwise walk it off or find another way to punish him! Don't say, "ok I can't be violent, plus he's an autist. Or a child. Let's walk away." No of course not. There are other effective ways to nail in a lesson or moral :dry: unless those trusty methods don't work then sure. Don't let him get away with it because they're physically inferior? That's like saying, she called me the n word and told me to die on my mum's grave-but she's shorter than me so ok, I'll ignore it. Wtf?
Where do you think he got his 6 red gems from? :tongue:

Don't hate Dalek, he's a living legend on this site, you should learn some respect.

Quick Reply

Latest