The Student Room Group

ICM Survey - What Muslims really think

I know there are other threads about this subject but this is the official survey carried out by ICM

http://www.icmunlimited.com/media-centre/polls/icm-unlimited-survey-for-the-channel-4-programme-what-muslims-really-think
This is a statement by the director of ICM on the Guardian

'This poll, in my view and confirmed by one of ICM’s high-profile competitors, no less is the most rigorous survey of Muslims that has been produced for many years. The president of the British Polling Council has confirmed that ICM followed the standard methods for polling ethnic minorities in the UK. The poll comprises over 1,000 interviews, selected using classic and orthodox random-location face-to-face techniques that are the bedrock of the highest-quality research undertaken in the UK.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/12/our-survey-of-muslims-was-as-thorough-as-can-be
Now I know a lot of us students and 'young adults' reading this don't understand how this works but just because you don't doesn't mean it's invalid (Hint - if you don't have a degree in this subject don't try and simply dismiss it)

Discuss
Will read later. :holmes:
Reply 2
I'll tell you what we really think.

We think what's this guy's obsession with Islam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
615 pages of data :gasp:

Is there some kind of summary of it anywhere?
Original post by NickLCFC
615 pages of data :gasp:

Is there some kind of summary of it anywhere?

Yes you could watch the C4 Documentary :smile:
Opinion Pieces are now coming out after the programs revelations

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2016/04/12/why-the-icm-poll-of-british-muslims-shows-we-need-to-defend-our/

'The part of the programme that upset me most is an interview with Elham Manea, a Muslim academic from Zurich who sat in on Sharia courts in the UK for four years. Elham was shocked to encounter “the most fundamentalist reading of Islam” you can find outside of the Taliban.'
Original post by Frank Underwood
no one cares lol
give the anti-islam spam a rest buddy

Some do.
:smile:
Whatever happened to free speech?
no one cares lol

Why are you so triggered that people are 'anti-Islam'? I would recommend that you avoid all threads that you consider to be 'anti-Islam' in the future.
Before I read this I'm placing a (Halal) bet on these results showing most Muslims are condoning loads of controversial views.
The program should be interesting. Very rare that criticism of Islam or Muslim groups is allowed on national TV in a way that isn't framed as bigoted. The fact that Trevor Phillips is black and has long been an advocate for equality makes it more difficult for him to casually be dismissed as racist, bigoted, islamophobic, prejudiced etc.

Of course the Independent and the Guardian were quick to release apologist articles, which are mostly nonsense. I wonder when these supposed progressives will understand that their love of Islam and Muslims is not reciprocated.

Original post by HAnwar
I'll tell you what we really think.We think what's this guy's obsession with Islam?Posted from TSR Mobile

no one cares lolgive the anti-islam spam a rest buddy

It's of course so much easier to ignore the substance and attack the messenger.

In the liberal bubble that is TSR it's fair to say that Islam gets a lot of flack. One can only hope that a smidgen of this criticism is allowed in public discourse in real life.

Until it is no longer taboo to criticise Islam in real life without being castigated, people will continue to vent their displeasure here.
I read though the report cards of the polls. Nearly half came from London, nearly half were from disadvantaged backgrounds and from low working class deprived areas so these polls hardly show a fair representation of British Muslims. Furthermore looking at the actual beliefs, yes a lot of them are opposed to gay marriage, why wouldn't they be, they are Muslims and that's their religion. If you read the article in the link of the guardian article you provided apparently polls show evangelical Christians are more intolerant of gays but that's for another day,

When I looked at the other questions regarding their beliefs towards terrorism, stoning, the caliphate and another one I forgot. They all showed around 90% or above of the respondents disagreed with these methods or condemned them. So as far as I'm concerned it seems like details have been cherry picked and positives ignored. Furthermore I suggest you read the article in which the letter you posted the link for (the guardian one) was in response to. The link is in the first line of the letter on the guardian article.
Original post by Mr Hyde(r)
I read though the report cards of the polls. Nearly half came from London, nearly half were from disadvantaged backgrounds and from low working class deprived areas so these polls hardly show a fair representation of British Muslims. Furthermore looking at the actual beliefs, yes a lot of them are opposed to gay marriage, why wouldn't they be, they are Muslims and that's their religion. If you read the article in the link of the guardian article you provided apparently polls show evangelical Christians are more intolerant of gays but that's for another day,

When I looked at the other questions regarding their beliefs towards terrorism, stoning, the caliphate and another one I forgot. They all showed around 90% or above of the respondents disagreed with these methods or condemned them. So as far as I'm concerned it seems like details have been cherry picked and positives ignored. Furthermore I suggest you read the article in which the letter you posted the link for (the guardian one) was in response to. The link is in the first line of the letter on the guardian article.

from the director of ICM

Mr Versi argues that because we surveyed areas where Muslims were more than 20%, the results are skewed in favour of poorer Muslims who he claims are more homophobic and sexist than other Muslims. In fact, we weighted and sampled our survey in terms of sex, class, age and region to make the survey representative of British Muslims as a whole.If Mr Versi had properly examined the data and methodology, which contrary to his assertion has been freely available online since Monday morning, he may even have found much in our survey to confirm his own thoughts. It’s a shame that he chooses to debunk valuable and important considerations on the basis of limited methodological appreciation.Martin BoonDirector, ICM Unlimited
Original post by Mathemagicien
If the average Muslim is comparable to the average evangelical Christian, that's slightly worrying.

It certainly is.
Reply 13
no one cares lol
Ironically, it seems that you care enough to feel the need to tell him to stop.
Reply 14
Original post by tengentoppa
The program should be interesting. Very rare that criticism of Islam or Muslim groups is allowed on national TV in a way that isn't framed as bigoted.
When considered with the recent Radio4 series, "The Deobandis" (not a halal version of The Archers BTW), which also took an uncompromising and non-appeasing approach to its findings, I wonder if we are finally seeing a shift in the establishment position, away from the "Must. Not. Criticise." mantra.
I'm thinking what should I have for dinner
Original post by QE2
Ironically, it seems that you care enough to feel the need to tell him to stop.

"cares" is tied specifically to the anti-Islam-related stuff he is posting
Reply 17
"cares" is tied specifically to the anti-Islam-related stuff he is posting
Which you clearly care about, to some degree, thus refuting your (now vanished) claim that "no one cares".

And bearing in mind that the thread is now on its second page, a few others do as well.

What I don't understand is why some people spend their time criticising people who spend their time criticising people. They should stop it. No one cares.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending