The Student Room Group

How can you thicken an extremely uncomfortable mattress?

Hi,

Was greeted with an old mattress which is pretty worn when I moved into my flat not too long ago. It's not very comfortable so want to know how to resolve this without forking out on a new mattress. I've thought about buying a mattress topper which just looks like a thick piece of cloth really. I've seen one which is 1.5cm and am unsure if this will make much difference until I see it in person. What do you think? Has anyone bought one? Probably going to go buy one on Sunday. I've been lying on a folded thin fleece blanket to help slightly but it's not great. Anyone had similar problems? Any help would be great. Thanks x
Have you tried flipping the mattress?

Other than getting a topper, putting duvets over it or buying a new one there isn't really anything you can do.
Reply 2
Have you asked your landlord to replace it? Sometimes they will.

If not then I'd suggest buying a thick duvet and putting it under your sheet - it basically acts as a mattress topper but is cheaper. If you want to then you could buy an actual mattress topper.

Spoiler

Original post by SophieSmall
Have you tried flipping the mattress?

Other than getting a topper, putting duvets over it or buying a new one there isn't really anything you can do.

Yeah I flipped it but it's still not nice to sleep on. Yeah I was thinking of buying another duvet to sleep on top of as they are thick. Thanks for your reply x
Original post by Jenx301
Have you asked your landlord to replace it? Sometimes they will.

If not then I'd suggest buying a thick duvet and putting it under your sheet - it basically acts as a mattress topper but is cheaper. If you want to then you could buy an actual mattress topper.

Yeah, people who were there on move-in day (Like the lady who did my check-in, and a maintenance guy) had to phone the landlord for other things, so they asked him about the mattress but apparently it's not him that provides the mattress as they are a "personal" thing. Sounds like a load of BS to me but there we are lol. When I viewed the flat the bed was not there but instead there was a sofa bed and I was told by the estate agent that the person living here had their mattress and bed in storage and they would be there when I move in (or something to that effect) Thanks for your reply x
Come to think of it, I'm lying on top of my duvet now and it's uncomfortable so if I did buy another one and lie on it, it wouldn't be much different. Noooooo! x
The landlord's said he's going to order me a new one 😊
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending