The Student Room Group

Fabrication/Welding career's in the Forces!?

Hi Guys, I'm new to TSR!

Was hoping some of you could help me with my question in the title?

I would like to know which of the forces has the best trade/branch for fabrication/welding. I'm currently doing Level 1 Fab/weld at my local college and would like to progress into the forces depending on the best oppertunity!

I understand the RAF isn't the best for this, as most of it is panel work, and machine operated.

Thanks in advance for any help,
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by youngfabricator

I would have thought that the Royal Engineers (Army) would give the most opportunities. However, I suspect it's a very limited skill set, and you would only spend two or three tours with welding being a very small part of the work you did.
Reply 2
Hi Guys, I'm new to TSR!

I would like to know which of the forces has the best trade/branch for fabrication/welding. I'm currently doing Level 1 Fab/weld at my local college and would like to progress into the forces depending on the best oppertunity!

I understand the RAF isn't the best for this, as most of it is panel work, and machine operated.

The RE have a fabricator role but you would hardly get to actually use the trade i assume.
@Supersaps might be able to shed some light on things here
Hi Guys, I'm new to TSR!

Hi there youngfabricator. Good on you for looking to join the forces.

It really depends what you want out of it. The Royal Engineers have a fabricator training course and you may get a 'golden hello' for already being trained. If you're looking for more of a soldiering experience, the Royal Engineers are the way to go as you'll do a lot of infantry support, bridge building, demolitions and the like but you will only use your welding skills from time to time.

If you'd rather work in a workshop and do a bit more 'fabbying' then the REME is the way to go. A lot of the important work is done by civilian contractors, though.

If you're really interested in welding, I would recommend staying with a civilian company as if you join the army you'll always be a soldier first which means infantry skills and drills, then a combat engineer and then a welder after that. So if you're not passionate about the military side of things or you want to become a top class fabricator, you're best off finding a company.

Best of luck in your decision.

SS
Thanks for the reply mate!

As a royal engineer/ REME, do you still come go to war and fight? What's the chances of being killed in the REME/RE?

Thanks
This thread title has just reminded me of the old "I'm an iceberg welder" line troops used to use when chatting up women in the clubs

Thanks for the reply mate!

As a royal engineer/ REME, do you still come go to war and fight? What's the chances of being killed in the REME/RE?

Thanks

Whichever trade you're in the army as, you're a soldier first and foremost, it's not unreasonable for you to be expected to be involved in conflict as pat of your role. With the nature of more recent conflicts we've been involved in (Afghan/Iraq) the enemy could appear anywhere, even in the safety of your own base. Making a commitment to join the forces is something that should be seriously thought about, no matter what role, as you're taking an oath to bear arms for this country. I used to be an infantryman, so while the thought of being involved in conflict is scary, I don't regret the time I spent in the forces.
Original post by moonkatt
This thread title has just reminded me of the old "I'm an iceberg welder" line troops used to use when chatting up women in the clubs

Whichever trade you're in the army as, you're a soldier first and foremost, it's not unreasonable for you to be expected to be involved in conflict as pat of your role. With the nature of more recent conflicts we've been involved in (Afghan/Iraq) the enemy could appear anywhere, even in the safety of your own base. Making a commitment to join the forces is something that should be seriously thought about, no matter what role, as you're taking an oath to bear arms for this country. I used to be an infantryman, so while the thought of being involved in conflict is scary, I don't regret the time I spent in the forces.

Sounds awesome buddy. Always liked the sound off being an infantry solider growing up, but as I grew older I knew there wouldn't be a future If i was to come out of the army.

What do you do now?
Sounds awesome buddy. Always liked the sound off being an infantry solider growing up, but as I grew older I knew there wouldn't be a future If i was to come out of the army.

What do you do now?

It was good fun, I made some great friends and got to travel, but you're right, there's no transferable skills.

I retrained after I left and work as a nurse now

Quick Reply