The Student Room Group

Do I Really Need A Maintanance Loan?

So I am intending to live at home for uni however I am pretty sure that I am gonna get a part time job or my parents might help me financially.

Should I still apply for some money just in case or can I apply for more once I start uni.
If they offer you one take it. You dont have to use it. You could lose your job or might wnat to ditch it at exam times.
Reply 2
You can always donate it to me if you don't want it :colone:
Reply 3
Original post by KaylaB
You can always donate it to me if you don't want it :colone:

sorry I promised to invest in this Nigerian Prince I met in McDonalds.
Reply 4
Original post by Guls
sorry I promised to invest in this Nigerian Prince I met in McDonalds.

Yeah that's my mate Ahmed, I'll give it to him for you :wink:
Reply 5
How are you entitled to a maintenance loan if you're going to be living at home anyway?
Reply 6
Original post by KaylaB
Yeah that's my mate Ahmed, I'll give it to him for you :wink:

Though he was called Olantunjinati?
Reply 7
Original post by Guls
Though he was called Olantunjinati?

That's his nickname
Reply 8
Original post by KaylaB
That's his nickname

Lol. I'm confused but how do you know him?
Reply 9
Original post by Guls
Lol. I'm confused but how do you know him?

We're old schoolmates, we used to call him 'Olantunjinati the LAD'
Reply 10
Original post by KaylaB
We're old schoolmates, we used to call him 'Olantunjinati the LAD'

Wow thats actually true. He also told me about a 'KaylaB' that always used to tell lies. Do you know who that might be, KaylaB?
Reply 11
Original post by Guls
Wow thats actually true. He also told me about a 'KaylaB' that always used to tell lies. Do you know who that might be, KaylaB?

There was this old skank with that name when we were at school, so it might be her. It's a pretty common name anyway, so who knows :dontknow:
Original post by AJ KO
How are you entitled to a maintenance loan if you're going to be living at home anyway?

All students, subject to the usual criteria, are entitled to a maintenance loan whether they live at home or elsewhere in the UK.

OP - I'd take it. You may wiah to move out (as some students do) in your second year and may need the money for deposit on a house, etc.
Reply 13
Original post by KaylaB
There was this old skank with that name when we were at school, so it might be her. It's a pretty common name anyway, so who knows :dontknow:

lol whats a skank?
Reply 14
Original post by Tiger Rag
All students, subject to the usual criteria, are entitled to a maintenance loan whether they live at home or elsewhere in the UK.

OP - I'd take it. You may wiah to move out (as some students do) in your second year and may need the money for deposit on a house, etc.

Thanks. Any recommendation to how much?
Reply 15
Take it, take as much as you can, then put it into something that'll generate interest.
Reply 16
Original post by JoeTSR
Take it, take as much as you can, then put it into something that'll generate interest.

Nice.
Odds are you won't have to pay it all back, and if you do, it won't be much more than you borrowed taking inflation into account.

If you put it in an investment fund you could easily make more interest than the government will charge you for the loan.

Quick Reply

Latest