The Student Room Group

Pulmonary embolism? Could I die?

I'm scared I have it, it's the blood clots in your lungs. You can die from it :frown: I've been experiencing odd symptoms for 3 weeks now, I'm really scared at this point. I thought it was just sleep deprivation at first, but I think it's more serious then that. Last night I sat up to try and do my work but my chest was too painful....

I'm going to the doctors on friday evening, at this point i'm convinced I'm going to die from it. I'm 18....:frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm scared I have it, it's the blood clots in your lungs. You can die from it :frown: I've been experiencing odd symptoms for 3 weeks now, I'm really scared at this point. I thought it was just sleep deprivation at first, but I think it's more serious then that. Last night I sat up to try and do my work but my chest was too painful....

I'm going to the doctors on friday evening, at this point i'm convinced I'm going to die from it. I'm 18....:frown:

It could be lots of things but if you are really concerned and in that much pain then why don't you ring NHS 111 or go to a hospital/walk in centre.

Seriously it could be anything, I have had bad issues with my lung since 2014 and never once could I tell what it was for myself. Hell my doctors haven't diagnosed anything by symptoms and stethoscope it's always been scans.

Don't worry about it being this specifically, there are plenty less severe things that feel like that.

If you're having bad chest pains don't wait around. Seriously, if it's so bad you can't work then you shouldn't wait until Friday. I'm not trying to scare you - at 18 it's unlikely to be anything bad - but you don't want to take any chances. If you experience any chest pains again call 111 and they'll advise you from there. I don't know what other symptoms you're having but you should make an emergency doctors appointment or go to your local walk-in centre if they're that bad. It's better to be safe than sorry - although I wouldn't worry that you're going to die. That could make you panic and elevate your symptoms.
Reply 4
Original post by Jenx301
It could be lots of things but if you are really concerned and in that much pain then why don't you ring NHS 111 or go to a hospital/walk in centre.

It's not a huge amount of pain, I can wait until friday, Right now there isn't any pain, just an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach....

At this point I have actually convinced myself I'm going to die. :/
Reply 5
Original post by redbluedex
If you're having bad chest pains don't wait around. Seriously, if it's so bad you can't work then you shouldn't wait until Friday. I'm not trying to scare you - at 18 it's unlikely to be anything bad - but you don't want to take any chances. If you experience any chest pains again call 111 and they'll advise you from there. I don't know what other symptoms you're having but you should make an emergency doctors appointment or go to your local walk-in centre if they're that bad. It's better to be safe than sorry - although I wouldn't worry that you're going to die. That could make you panic and elevate your symptoms.

It's not a terrible mount of chest pain now, it seems to be worse when tired. I took the day off and rested today and I feel better, so I think it is something to do with sleep deprivation, but i'm still worried that it's more serious. After reading only stories I feel like it could be. :frown:
Do you have severe breathlessness

my mum has pulmonary embolisms - shes fine
Tip for you - if you're getting unusual things happening with your body, don't read up on them too much. Just go see your Dr about them and they should check for things they think it might be.
Reply 8
Go to a walk-in centre today. They're open fairly long hours. Don't wait until Friday. It's probably nothing, but if it is something, then yes, in answer to your question. Saying the words 'chest pain' to an NHS call handler will automatically get you an ambulance within 10 minutes.
Other than chest pain any other symptoms? In any case visit your gp as soon as possible. Although it's most likely nothing serious.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Tip for you - if you're getting unusual things happening with your body, don't read up on them too much. Just go see your Dr about them and they should check for things they think it might be.

It's just so tempting though! Damn internet :tongue:
Original post by WoodyMKC

But what if the internet is right? :frown:
But what if the internet is right? :frown:

I'm telling you it's highly unlikely for you to diagnose yourself from the Internet with lungs in particular. If it is right you'll know more by then because the doctors will have diagnosed you and given you a prognosis :rolleyes: just get to the doctors and get some scans. Also don't take them saying your o2 stats are fine and they can't hear anything as gospel, get some investigation done.
Original post by JoeTSR
Go to a walk-in centre today. They're open fairly long hours. Don't wait until Friday. It's probably nothing, but if it is something, then yes, in answer to your question. Saying the words 'chest pain' to an NHS call handler will automatically get you an ambulance within 10 minutes.

I don't know if I should. I'm feeling weakness, like sitting for a long time makes feel weirdly weak. But I have so chest pain, just taking breaths in and out is making me feel odd. Not a shortness of breath though, I can breath okay today :frown: Should I call 111?
Original post by Jennie1987
I'm telling you it's highly unlikely for you to diagnose yourself from the Internet with lungs in particular. If it is right you'll know more by then because the doctors will have diagnosed you and given you a prognosis :rolleyes: just get to the doctors and get some scans. Also don't take them saying your o2 stats are fine and they can't hear anything as gospel, get some investigation done.

You're scaring me! :frown: I don't know if I should call 111, i have no severe pain, I can wait until friday but I don't want to make things worse.
Do you have severe breathlessness

my mum has pulmonary embolisms - shes fine

not severe at the moment.
Original post by Jenx301

:frown: I don't think it's severe enough for 111.
I'm worries that I have left this for 3 weeks...
Reply 18
I don't know if I should. I'm feeling weakness, like sitting for a long time makes feel weirdly weak. But I have so chest pain, just taking breaths in and out is making me feel odd. Not a shortness of breath though, I can breath okay today :frown: Should I call 111?

Any chest pain (especially central chest pain, but non-central doesn't exclude) requires immediate medical attention. The weakness isn't normal. Are you able to make it to a walk in centre? If you PM me with your rough location, I can tell you your nearest one. If you don't have transport, then yes, I'd call 111.
(edited 8 years ago)
You're scaring me! :frown: I don't know if I should call 111, i have no severe pain, I can wait until friday but I don't want to make things worse.

I shouldn't be scaring you, sorry if I did. I'm just saying sometimes doctors don't want to send you for scans, saving NHS money, but literally they are the only things to diagnose in many circumstances with lungs.

If you are worried about something, you should be feeling like you properly looked into it is all.

Quick Reply

Latest