The Student Room Group

Pulmonary embolism? Could I die?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jennie1987
I shouldn't be scaring you, sorry if I did. I'm just saying sometimes doctors don't want to send you for scans, saving NHS money, but literally they are the only things to diagnose in many circumstances with lungs.

If you are worried about something, you should be feeling like you properly looked into it is all.

What happens when you go for a lung scan?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm worries that I have left this for 3 weeks...

I've had stuff go undiagnosed for months, it's mostly fine for that to happen it's just scary stories make papers not ones where it didn't matter cos that isn't newsworthy. You say you're not even in pain all the time, you would've gone to the doctor sooner if you'd felt the need.
Original post by JoeTSR
Any chest pain (especially central chest pain, but non-central doesn't exclude) requires immediate medical attention. The weakness isn't normal. If you have one, chew (rather than immediately swallowing) an aspirin. Are you able to make it to a walk in centre? If you PM me with your rough location, I can tell you your nearest one. If you don't have transport, then yes, I'd call 111.

Thank you but I do have transport, I'm not that unwell. It's just i'm worried because it's been 3 weeks and i've not done anything about it, I could have potentially made it worse for myself. I have no chest pain today, just discomfort. My breathing is fine, deep and uncomfortable but i'm able to take in all the air. I know it's not anxiety.
What happens when you go for a lung scan?

Depends what kind, probably xray for you so you get changed and stand in front of a machine for a minute holding a breath for a little while. That's it.
I've had stuff go undiagnosed for months, it's mostly fine for that to happen it's just scary stories make papers not ones where it didn't matter cos that isn't newsworthy. You say you're not even in pain all the time, you would've gone to the doctor sooner if you'd felt the need.

Thank you, yes I didn't. I'm not in pain. I just feel uncomfortable at the moment. I am definite going on friday, if things get worse before friday then I will call 111. It's just i have so much work to do right now, I don't really have the time to go call 111 either. But I know it's not severe, if it were I would have gone instantly. :frown:
Depends what kind, probably xray for you so you get changed and stand in front of a machine for a minute holding a breath for a little while. That's it.

Do you have to undress?
Do you have to undress?

In a separate room you undress your top half and put on a gown. I choose to just take my bra off so don't get changed.
Reply 27
Thank you but I do have transport, I'm not that unwell. It's just i'm worried because it's been 3 weeks and i've not done anything about it, I could have potentially made it worse for myself. I have no chest pain today, just discomfort. My breathing is fine, deep and uncomfortable but i'm able to take in all the air. I know it's not anxiety.

If you have transport, then yes, go to a walk in centre immediately. Not to scare you, but many people don't feel unwell... until they do. It's no problem, that's what the walk in centres are there for. I've gone to one for a minor bump on my pecs before (knew it was probably nothing, but wanted to double check it was just a cyst). Go now, don't call 111 first, just go. It's 7pm, it's possible they may close at 8.

It's not like A&E, you won't be waiting hours.

If it's nothing, then the walk-in-centre might give you some antibiotics or something to ease symptoms. It'll let you work and give you peace of mind. Your health is the most important thing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you, yes I didn't. I'm not in pain. I just feel uncomfortable at the moment. I am definite going on friday, if things get worse before friday then I will call 111. It's just i have so much work to do right now, I don't really have the time to go call 111 either. But I know it's not severe, if it were I would have gone instantly. :frown:

:erm: 111 will just tell you to see a doctor. It takes time for sure better than leaving it though. Get everything sorted and if you are ill you'll be better faster.
I'm scared I have it, it's the blood clots in your lungs. You can die from it :frown: I've been experiencing odd symptoms for 3 weeks now, I'm really scared at this point. I thought it was just sleep deprivation at first, but I think it's more serious then that. Last night I sat up to try and do my work but my chest was too painful....

I'm going to the doctors on friday evening, at this point i'm convinced I'm going to die from it. I'm 18....:frown:

3 weeks of on/off chest pain, abdominal pain, uncomfortable stomach, no breathlessness does not a pulmonary embolism, make.

There is no need to panic yourself here. Visit your GP or speak to NHS direct if you are concerned.

I'm just saying sometimes doctors don't want to send you for scans, saving NHS money

And you know, saving a young (presuming female) person from a whopping dose if ionizing radiation aimed directly at very radiosensitive breast tissue (increasing the risk of radiation-induced cancer), when not clinically indicated and the diagnosis of which could be safely ruled out with a simple blood test.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JoeTSR
If you have transport, then yes, go to a walk in centre immediately. Not to scare you, but many people don't feel unwell... until they do. It's no problem, that's what the walk in centres are there for. I've gone to one for a minor bump on my pecs before (knew it was probably nothing, but wanted to double check it was just a cyst). Go now, don't call 111 first, just go. It's 7pm, it's possible they may close at 8.

It's not like A&E, you won't be waiting hours.

If it's nothing, then the walk-in-centre might give you some antibiotics or something to ease symptoms. It'll let you work and give you peace of mind. Your health is the most important thing.

Okay your right, I'll ask my mum to take me. It's just I have so many coursework deadlines this weak and i'm already behind. But you're right, I have no peace of mind, every 5 mins i keep thinking that I could potentially die.

Do you think they could give me an x-ray? At the walk in centre. I have a hospital very close to me, I can go there.
Original post by Etomidate
3 weeks of on/off chest pain, abdominal pain, uncomfortable stomach, no breathlessness does not a pulmonary embolism, make.

There is no need to panic yourself here. Visit your GP or speak to NHS direct if you are concerned.

And you know, saving a young female from a whopping dose if ionizing radiation aimed directly at very radiosensitive breast tissue (increasing the risk of radiation-induced cancer), when not clinically indicated and the diagnosis of which could be safely ruled out with a simple blood test.

The level of radiation from an X-ray is actually extremely minimal, look up the stats.
The level of radiation from an X-ray is actually extremely minimal, look up the stats.

Can you diagnose a pulmonary embolism with an x-ray?

And you know, saving a young female from a whopping dose if ionizing radiation aimed directly at very radiosensitive breast tissue (increasing the risk of radiation-induced cancer), when not clinically indicated and the diagnosis of which could be safely ruled out with a simple blood test.

Oh dear god! I didn't even think of that...

I think you can detect it with a blood test, then an x-ray.

:rolleyes: OP chose that diagnosis, a doctor will xray first if the lungs is the worry - or ultrasound if the heart is the worry. I believe that you need a lot of different things to diagnose pulmonary embolism because it's a look at all options thing - try to find the most likely causes first by things that pick up the most, and xray picks up a lot of chest issues.
Reply 36
Okay your right, I'll ask my mum to take me. It's just I have so many coursework deadlines this weak and i'm already behind. But you're right, I have no peace of mind, every 5 mins i keep thinking that I could potentially die.

Do you think they could give me an x-ray? At the walk in centre. I have a hospital very close to me, I can go there.

That's good :smile: Yeah, it should only take half an hour (and chest pain will probably bump you up in the queue). And yeah, a small break will result in more work done than sitting there worrying and unable to work the whole time.

RE an xray, they may if they think it's necessary. Most likely though, they'll put some ecg leads on you to check your heart function (doesn't take long), listen to your chest, and ask you a few questions. They may look at your leg as well. The chances of them feeling an x-ray/ultrasound is necessary is probably fairly unlikely, assuming it's just something like flu. The questions and ECG should be able to determine what it is.

Let us know how it goes :smile:
Oh dear god! I didn't even think of that...

Apparently it's comparable to 10 days background radiation from the environment. Don't add to your stress.
:rolleyes: OP chose that diagnosis, a doctor will xray first if the lungs is the worry - or ultrasound if the heart is the worry. I believe that you need a lot of different things to diagnose pulmonary embolism because it's a look at all options thing - try to find the most likely causes first by things that pick up the most, and xray picks up a lot of chest issues.

Well, you're the one telling OP that the only reason they wouldn't scan her is because of cost which is grossly untrue and has the potential to make her feel fobbed off and un-reassured when she doesn't get one.

Original post by JoeTSR
If you have one, chew (rather than immediately swallowing) an aspirin.

Please don't do this.

OP, as I said before: speak to your GP or NHS direct.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 39
Please don't do this.

OP, as I said before: speak to your GP or NHS direct.

Out of pure curiosity so I know for the future, what differential would it affect?

I suspect OP has already gone to the walk-in centre, but would 111 not refer to the ambulance service being a chest pain call, despite the low likelihood of anything major?

Quick Reply

Latest