The Student Room Group

Relative has died a week before my first exam; what do I do?

I found out yesterday that my beloved grandma has passed away after a long time on morphine. Whilst I'm glad she's no longer in pain and suffering and likely in a better place than in a nursing home, I'm also devastated because she was like a second mother to me. She and my granddad (also now deceased as of 2015) practically raised me as a child whilst my mother was at university.

The question is, I have my first practical exam as a private candidate (BIO3 AQA unit) I'm wondering if there's any sort of help available, like extra time or compassionate marking? As you can imagine I'm hardly in the right mind to revise when we haven't even got a date for the funeral and I have to write stuff for the funeral
Original post by Anonymous
I found out yesterday that my beloved grandma has passed away after a long time on morphine. Whilst I'm glad she's no longer in pain and suffering and likely in a better place than in a nursing home, I'm also devastated because she was like a second mother to me. She and my granddad (also now deceased as of 2015) practically raised me as a child whilst my mother was at university.

The question is, I have my first practical exam as a private candidate (BIO3 AQA unit) I'm wondering if there's any sort of help available, like extra time or compassionate marking? As you can imagine I'm hardly in the right mind to revise when we haven't even got a date for the funeral and I have to write stuff for the funeral

First of all my condolences. I was told a story just today about a history class. One person in the class died on the Friday, and they had an exam on the Monday. If you speak with the school they should be able to sort out what is called "favourable marking" where the marker is made aware of your situation and I believe they do go easier on you. I do not know about extra time. I very much doubt you could delay the exam.

I would suggest you speak with your head of year and your exams officer and they will fully understand and try and do what is best for you.
I would go straight to your head of college / exams office and discuss with them. Only they can be in touch with AQA and put you in for special consideration. Expect to provide proof of this though because although it's a sensitive subjects, exam boards are like insurance companies and will go into fine details.
Reply 3
Original post by GeorgeB16
I would go straight to your head of college / exams office and discuss with them. Only they can be in touch with AQA and put you in for special consideration. Expect to provide proof of this though because although it's a sensitive subjects, exam boards are like insurance companies and will go into fine details.

Okay, so I'd probably need a death certificate then wouldn't I. Thank you
Original post by Anonymous
Okay, so I'd probably need a death certificate then wouldn't I. Thank you

Well a letter from your mum signed certainly at least, the exam board may ask for a death certificate or certification from the college so maybe the school will only need the certificate?
Reply 5
Original post by GeorgeB16
Well a letter from your mum signed certainly at least, the exam board may ask for a death certificate or certification from the college so maybe the school will only need the certificate?

I've asked my exams officer what I need to do; they said they would get back to me in the morning. I think I'm a bit too old for a letter from my mother haha; I'm 21
You should discuss this with the exams officer at your school or college. The school or college must support an application for special consideration.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/special-consideration
My grandfather's funeral was on the day of one of my exams. To my knowledge, I didn't have to provide any evidence of this and the exams office notified the exam board regarding special commendation for the exam. I was put nearer the back of the hall in case I had to leave during, to avoid disturbing everyone else
Reply 8
Original post by FluffyCherry
You should discuss this with the exams officer at your school or college. The school or college must support an application for special consideration.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/special-consideration

Original post by AlteredBoy
My grandfather's funeral was on the day of one of my exams. To my knowledge, I didn't have to provide any evidence of this and the exams office notified the exam board regarding special commendation for the exam. I was put nearer the back of the hall in case I had to leave during, to avoid disturbing everyone else

Thank you, both :smile:
Reply 9
Trying to revise is really hard :/ Can't take anything in at all

Quick Reply

Latest