The Student Room Group

Is it wrong not to go to university at 18?

Hi all

My psychiatrist said I done all the wrong things by comparing me to my brother who said went to college and university compared and contrasted to me who dropped out at 16 joined the workforce at 18 and went to university at 21.

I really did not know what to do as my grades were not good enough for the courses I wanted to study.

So my question is, is it wrong not to go to university at 18?
of course not, plenty of people don't whether it's because of their grades, they don't have something in particular they want to study or the money. I got really bad a level grades and am currently redoing my a levels online so i hope to go to uni eventually but i won't be going till i'm about 22! I know lots of people that didn't go to uni and they're doing great. You could always get an apprenticeship or just take a year out and decide what you want to do. best of luck :h:
Reply 2
Not at all. I'm in the same situation. Your psychiatrist is biased, they've been in further education for over 10 years, of course they're going to be in favour of it.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all

My psychiatrist said I done all the wrong things by comparing me to my brother who said went to college and university compared and contrasted to me who dropped out at 16 joined the workforce at 18 and went to university at 21.

I really did not know what to do as my grades were not good enough for the courses I wanted to study.

I went at 24, no complaints.
There's no age limit to educating yourself :h:
Reply 5
Depending on the uni I decide on, I will either be 31 or 34 when I graduate. Your psychiatrist shouldn't be making a personal judgement on your life choices. I'm a therapist so I know that that is not within our remit. It might have been a botched attempt at a different point or reflecting what they feel you feel. I'd challenge them on why they thought your life choices were wrong and why they felt it okay to make that comparison with your brother.
You need a new psychiatrist tbh :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all

These days it is probably better to go to Uni a bit older, say 21
Reply 8
Btw, when we have to work harder to get to uni, I think that we appreciate it more. I left compulsory education at 19 when I was made homeless. I experienced a mental breakdown; suicidal..the lot. I attempted to study but I couldn't. In 2012 I decided to train as a counsellor via college and in 2013 I began a degree with open uni. Fast forward to now, I'm about to receive my foundation degree in counselling and I've received an unconditional offer to finish my degree at a brick uni. My post graduate plans are already in place and my career is promising.

Age is really nothing. The majority of people doing my type of course are a minimum of a decade older and traditionally open uni had a majority of mature learners. This has changed recently now that OU is so much cheaper than brick uni and you can work alongside
Nope it increasingly makes more sense imo

whats your problem if youve been then its done now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending