The Student Room Group

Questions on Logs

The question is
Lnx/x^2 = 0

I need to solve it but for some reason the answer is 1, but I dont get how its one, because if i take the x to the power of 2 to the other side, and E both sides you get

X = e to the power of x^2
Reply 1
ln(1)=0 \ln(1)=0 , so we are looking for x/x2 x/x^2 to = 1.
Original post by SunDun111
The question is
Lnx/x^2 = 0

I need to solve it but for some reason the answer is 1, but I dont get how its one, because if i take the x to the power of 2 to the other side, and E both sides you get

If you take the x2x^2 to the other side, do you not get 0x2=00*x^2=0?
Reply 3
Original post by rayquaza17

Oh yeah, that works out thanks
Reply 4
The question is
Lnx/x^2 = 0

if a/b = 0 then a = 0
I think some of the above didn't realise you meant:

(ln x) / (x2) = 0
Reply 6
Original post by NadeemKha_Arab
I think some of the above didn't realise you meant:

(ln x) / (x2) = 0

Yeah i did but isnt what they said still true?
Yeah i did but isnt what they said still true?

Original post by rayquaza17

This one is correct^ yes. Did you manage to see how the answer was reached after following this?
Reply 8
Original post by NadeemKha_Arab
This one is correct^ yes. Did you manage to see how the answer was reached after following this?

yeah taking E to both sides got me X = 1, is the rule a/b=0 means a=0 valid for everything
yeah taking E to both sides got me X = 1, is the rule a/b=0 means a=0 valid for everything

assuming b is non-zero, yes.

Yep what you'll see with a slightly more complex equations is you can use that rule to help:

e.g. (x2+3) / (3-y3) = 0

This means you can just get rid of the bottom and solve for x. I know this different to your question, but that's basically to show that it works.

Quick Reply

Latest