The Student Room Group

What A Levels are good for law

Scroll to see replies

Don't want to patronize you but enjoy the pre-GCSE period and don't worry about A Levels and such right now, just have fun and you will figure it out then
Slow down.
What may be your best subject now could easily be your worst and your most hated by the time you need to pick your a levels.
I applied for Law with maths, further maths, physics and history, and still got offers from Cambridge and LSE. Subject choice is very wide-ranging for Law. Speaking specifically about Cambridge: they like maths, but also like essay subjects - with their favourite being history. Don't do A-Level Law.
Original post by surina16
Slow down.
What may be your best subject now could easily be your worst and your most hated by the time you need to pick your a levels.

This is so true.
Original post by vn2410
Are you applying for law, or where are you studying law next year ?

What are common a levels ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

According to http://www.whatuni.com/ the top 5 A Levels taken by students who study Law at university are History (63%), English Lit (50%), Maths (49%), French (25%), and Economics (22%).
Original post by vn2410
i'm only 13 but really intrested in law, ive just chosen my gcse's lately

I'm thinking about continuing with History and Philosophy/Ethics at a level

but now would a science like biology or maths be reasonable ?
Which is better economics or politics ?
Any other good a levels subjects that put you in good stead for law entrance tests, application forms and studying law at university ?

I would appreciate any advice on choices please !

(GCSEs;
maths,english lang,english lit,biology,chemistry,physics,history,philosophy/ethics,geography & statistics)

traditionally a good competency in history, classics, literature, theology help.... but don't underestimate the sciences; many top commercial firms attract those with technical and scientific aptitude.
Original post by Nikhilm
I applied for Law with maths, further maths, physics and history, and still got offers from Cambridge and LSE. Subject choice is very wide-ranging for Law. Speaking specifically about Cambridge: they like maths, but also like essay subjects - with their favourite being history. Don't do A-Level Law.

Whilst A-Level law is a bit soft and not especially useful, many people do take it and get into good unis (including the two you mentioned).
Reply 27
Thanks everyone, and all more advice is welcome

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Whilst A-Level law is a bit soft and not especially useful, many people do take it and get into good unis (including the two you mentioned).

Yes, of course, but they would much rather you doing a stronger subject.
Reply 29
History, philosophy, (not law!!!), economics/business, maths, English Lang/lit, any language would also be a bonus point. Make you do a large amount of extra circ activities as that's what will make you stand out when applying for Uni
Reply 30
Original post by vn2410

Any other good a levels subjects that put you in good stead for law entrance tests, application forms and studying law at university ?

(GCSEs;
maths,english lang,english lit,biology,chemistry,physics,history,philosophy/ethics,geography & statistics)

I'm studying History English and Sociology at A Level and I applied for law and got an unconditional. They don't really mind what you do and you don't have to do law at A Level to go uni for it
Reply 31
Original post by MissT97
I'm studying History English and Sociology at A Level and I applied for law and got an unconditional. They don't really mind what you do and you don't have to do law at A Level to go uni for it

Thanks , what uni (s) did u apply, what's history like ? Did you do the LNAT ?whar was it like ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vn2410

(GCSEs;

I did: English Literature, History, Economics and Russian and got in. I dropped English Literature for A2 because I hated it, I found Sarah Waters rather dull:frown:
Reply 33
Reply 34
Reply 35
Reply 36
How would things affect me if I did politics ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would typically either ONE of english/History/(Politics if offered)/Rs and ethics
That being said, all your subjects don't HAVE to be this at ALL do what YOU enjoy
Original post by GeorgeB16
Business always goes well with law and it's a very popular subject to combine at university.

um, how exactly does business go well with law? it doesn't develop any useful skills for law, nor is the content relevant
Reply 39
Original post by Wisteria_xo
Would typically either ONE of english/History/(Politics if offered)/Rs and ethics
That being said, all your subjects don't HAVE to be this at ALL do what YOU enjoy

I'm actually reasonably good at RS, history and English with As and an A*in history but then I do find English boring but does English get harder, and yes politics is offered but some say it's a soft option ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest