The Student Room Group

What course can i do at Uni

I'm currently doing Maths,Biology,Chemistry and Psychology as an A-level. I know all those subjects point to something science related but i'm not sure i want to go down that route out of those four subjects my two favorites are Maths and psychology. But i know for sure that i want to drop Biology next year, but im not sure if I'll be able to because Chemistry exams are really hard especially now that its all 100% exams, I don't know if i'll be able to get the grade i need to continue with chemistry next year. And i feel if i know what course i want to do at uni then ill be able to start searching for Uni's , go to uni open days and more specific related work experience rather than doing work experience that doesn't count for anything. So guys any suggestions for what course I could do at Uni with Maths psychology and fingers crossed Chemistry ? :smile:
Original post by Angie.T12345678
I'm currently doing Maths,Biology,Chemistry and Psychology as an A-level. I know all those subjects point to something science related but i'm not sure i want to go down that route out of those four subjects my two favorites are Maths and psychology. But i know for sure that i want to drop Biology next year, but im not sure if I'll be able to because Chemistry exams are really hard especially now that its all 100% exams, I don't know if i'll be able to get the grade i need to continue with chemistry next year. And i feel if i know what course i want to do at uni then ill be able to start searching for Uni's , go to uni open days and more specific related work experience rather than doing work experience that doesn't count for anything. So guys any suggestions for what course I could do at Uni with Maths psychology and fingers crossed Chemistry ? :smile:

Have a look at http://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer/chemistry/mathematics/psychology?o=201 (click through ALL the different matches).

You've got pretty much unlimited options with those subjects - it's more a case of figuring out what interests you. Is there anything that you'll go out of your way to read a book on/get lost in wikipedia/watch a documentary?
With maths and psychology, you could do something like Law?
Original post by PQ
Have a look at http://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer/chemistry/mathematics/psychology?o=201 (click through ALL the different matches).

You've got pretty much unlimited options with those subjects - it's more a case of figuring out what interests you. Is there anything that you'll go out of your way to read a book on/get lost in wikipedia/watch a documentary?

Thanks for the help, your link was really useful :smile: I actually like the look of physiology.
Original post by Tiger Rag
With maths and psychology, you could do something like Law?

Thanks for the help, but i'm not really a fan of law. I think English is essential, but we do not mix at all:hand:
Reply 5
Economics?

With chemistry and math you could do chemical engineering.
Original post by Summit
Economics?

With chemistry and math you could do chemical engineering.

Yeah, thanks that's a good suggestion cause i enjoy chemistry and maths, so i'll defo look at it and see if its something that id be interested in.
Reply 7
Yeah, thanks that's a good suggestion cause i enjoy chemistry and maths, so i'll defo look at it and see if its something that id be interested in.

In that case have a look at Materials Science and Engineering (the course I am currently studying). Even a chemistry degree will be pretty mathematical, check it out.
Original post by Summit
In that case have a look at Materials Science and Engineering (the course I am currently studying). Even a chemistry degree will be pretty mathematical, check it out.

What year of Uni are you in? And would you say that it's an interesting course to study.Because i know if i find it boring then i would not put 100% in:K: .Is Physics not essential or is it a recommended subject to have. And would you like to specialize in specific area of Materials Science and engineering, is there even a range of areas to specialize in.
Reply 9
What year of Uni are you in? And would you say that it's an interesting course to study.Because i know if i find it boring then i would not put 100% in:K: .Is Physics not essential or is it a recommended subject to have. And would you like to specialize in specific area of Materials Science and engineering, is there even a range of areas to specialize in.

I am currently in first year, and I am planning on specializing on Biomaterials. Other areas you could specialize in are Nanotechnology, Polymers, Metallurgy, Aerospace Materials, etc... You could even pursue an MSc in a different engineering discipline, like Biomedical Engineering.

I personally find the course content very interesting, and what I love about it is that the subject is so versatile. Materials Engineering can give you access to a very wide range of careers. People from my university went off to work at Apple, GSK, Jaguar-Land Rover, Rolls Royce, etc...

Besides for Imperial College and Oxford, Physics is not necessary. Even at Cambridge chemistry and math would be enough (although they prefer to see a 3rd scientific A-level). I got in with the equivalent of A-Level Biology and Physics, but as long as you have 2 out of Chemistry, Physics or Maths you will be fine.
Original post by Summit
I am currently in first year, and I am planning on specializing on Biomaterials. Other areas you could specialize in are Nanotechnology, Polymers, Metallurgy, Aerospace Materials, etc... You could even pursue an MSc in a different engineering discipline, like Biomedical Engineering.

I personally find the course content very interesting, and what I love about it is that the subject is so versatile. Materials Engineering can give you access to a very wide range of careers. People from my university went off to work at Apple, GSK, Jaguar-Land Rover, Rolls Royce, etc...

Besides for Imperial College and Oxford, Physics is not necessary. Even at Cambridge chemistry and math would be enough (although they prefer to see a 3rd scientific A-level). I got in with the equivalent of A-Level Biology and Physics, but as long as you have 2 out of Chemistry, Physics or Maths you will be fine.

That sounds really cool, I think you've basically given me all the research that i need to know. I feel like, because i don't know what to do specifically at uni, if i choose something that has a wide variety of jobs then its less riskier than picking something that's so specific and then i dont like it and then going to Uni would be a waste. But thank you so much for the help because i was getting worried that i wouldn't even be able to make a shortlist of what i want to do I now have this summer to do my thorough research

If i do decide to do this course, what kind of work experience areas would you suggest and if you have any places that you went to that would be really helpful to allow me to make a start on work experience and summer schools i could go too.

Oh yh is the work load for this alot from what you've experienced in your first year so far? Like i i would like a social life :^_^:
Reply 11
That sounds really cool, I think you've basically given me all the research that i need to know. I feel like, because i don't know what to do specifically at uni, if i choose something that has a wide variety of jobs then its less riskier than picking something that's so specific and then i dont like it and then going to Uni would be a waste. But thank you so much for the help because i was getting worried that i wouldn't even be able to make a shortlist of what i want to do I now have this summer to do my thorough research

If i do decide to do this course, what kind of work experience areas would you suggest and if you have any places that you went to that would be really helpful to allow me to make a start on work experience and summer schools i could go too.

Oh yh is the work load for this alot from what you've experienced in your first year so far? Like i i would like a social life :^_^:

If you enjoy maths and chemistry, then Chemical Engineering or Materials Engineering would make sure to keep your options open, since a numerical background is very useful in other sectors as well, like Banking.

Work experience could give you a lot to talk about in your personal statement. I interned a couple of month in a structural engineering firm, where I learned how to use CAD and concrete testing. While it is by no means necessary, it could help you stand out. Also, your work experience can be about any area of engineering, not necessarily materials! Sadly I am not an expert on summer schools :frown:

The workload is tough, but I still manage to have an active social life. I go out twice a week and I get very involved in the university life! Don't worry about that :smile:
There are lots of options open with Maths A level. All forms of Engineering, computer science, economics, accountancy and Maths. With Chemistry you could look at chemical engineering and materials science. Some universities would also accept you for Pharmacy or other medicine based subjects without A level biology. Your psychology would open up things like social work as well
Original post by Summit
If you enjoy maths and chemistry, then Chemical Engineering or Materials Engineering would make sure to keep your options open, since a numerical background is very useful in other sectors as well, like Banking.

Work experience could give you a lot to talk about in your personal statement. I interned a couple of month in a structural engineering firm, where I learned how to use CAD and concrete testing. While it is by no means necessary, it could help you stand out. Also, your work experience can be about any area of engineering, not necessarily materials! Sadly I am not an expert on summer schools :frown:

The workload is tough, but I still manage to have an active social life. I go out twice a week and I get very involved in the university life! Don't worry about that :smile:

Yeah I think i'm going to defo stick with what i like and know. And i really do appreciate all of the help you've given me. Don't worry i'll search up some summer schools or look for some work experience. I'm really relieved to hear that i will be able to leave my room hopefully at least once :u:. Thank you soo much :banana::banana:.
Original post by swansea jack 1
There are lots of options open with Maths A level. All forms of Engineering, computer science, economics, accountancy and Maths. With Chemistry you could look at chemical engineering and materials science. Some universities would also accept you for Pharmacy or other medicine based subjects without A level biology. Your psychology would open up things like social work as well

Thank you for the help, I'm going to add pharmacy to my list of courses that i want to search up this summer as well. And i'll hopefully make a shortlist and decide what course to do. :h:
Reply 15
Look at Taster Sessions or Masterclasses at universities near you.

eg

http://www.london.ac.uk/5197.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Look at Taster Sessions or Masterclasses at universities near you.

eg

http://www.london.ac.uk/5197.html

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied for a taster course just now, thank you that link was really helpful.
Reply 17
I applied for a taster course just now, thank you that link was really helpful.

No problem, enjoy the tasters (you can apply for more than one! :smile: )
Original post by jneill
No problem, enjoy the tasters (you can apply for more than one! :smile: )

Thank you:h:, i will and don't worry i have been :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending