The Student Room Group

would you feel angry if you knew someone that committed suicide?

how would you feel is someone who you knew committed suicide or attempted?

Scroll to see replies

Ngl I would feel really angry and hurt at the same time.
Reply 2
I was really upset when my friend went, and I did feel angry that he'd given up, that he hadn't approached any of us etc etc. A lot of other people I knew felt the same. It just didn't make sense to most of us that it would happen.
I don't think I would be angry, I'd be hurt and upset.

I've been on the metaphorical ledge and the only thing that got me passed it was the impact on friends / family, so I would be a bit hurt that they didn't consider me in the same way. But mainly I would be upset, its awful loosing someone close to you and its even worse if its avoidable.

If you're having suicidal thoughts please speak to someone. A close friend / family member or the Samaritans, even feel free to PM if thats easier for you just don't keep it to yourself.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
I lost one of my close friend's to suicide a few years ago and its natural to feel a whole range of emotions and yes, anger was one that I felt but the overwhelming feelings were more shock and heartbreak but you feel pretty much every emotion under the sun after something like that happens.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I had to stop my friend from committing suicide I was so upset she wanted to end her life not angry just upset. I've been there too, and I'm helping another friend face the same depression battles X

Posted from TSR Mobile
I reckon id go through a lot of emotions, and just be shocked. I can't imagine how it feels to lose someone like that. The thought of the impact on my family kept me from doing it.

You really to speak to someone if you ever experience these thoughts. It's not nice and you're most likely not thinking straight.
I am not really sure. I would be upset and extremely sad that they thought they had no escape and couldn't talk to anyone else, but having been in that situation, I know how hard it is when you are there so I dunno. To be fair though, the majority of the time, I only really live for my family and possibly a friend, here or there :redface:
Depends on the person. I know many people that I don't enormously like. I would feel empathy for their friends and family, and I suppose a sense of sadness that they had decided to opt out of life, but wouldn't be angry in that case. If, however, one of my best friends extinguished themselves then I would feel a great many things - anger certainly being one of them, and probably directed mostly at myself.
Reply 9

This song always comes to mind. :frown:
It's a selfish, cowardly and greedy escape. Sounds horrible, but it's the reality. Everyone goes through phases of depression at one point in their life, and it takes time to reach the end of that bridge successfully.

The best thing to do is to find something to live for. Once you've figured out what that thing is (it's better if it's a loved one), you'll distract yourself enough to bring yourself out of those thoughts.

EDIT: Oh, and to answer your question, I'd feel devastated, but more ashamed of myself because I couldn't help the loved one in overcoming their temporary problem.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
I just want to say that suicide isn't a selfish act; nor is it cowardly. To be in that place and for the emotional pain you're feeling to be that strong that you feel like death is the only way to escape that pain; isn't cowardly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Spock's Socks
I lost one of my close friend's to suicide a few years ago and its natural to feel a whole range of emotions and yes, anger was one that I felt but the overwhelming feelings were more shock and heartbreak but you feel pretty much every emotion under the sun after something like that happens.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend :frown: :,(

I hope time has provided healing for you
Original post by fire_and_ice
It's a selfish, cowardly and greedy escape. Sounds horrible, but it's the reality. Everyone goes through phases of depression at one point in their life, and it takes time to reach the end of that bridge successfully.

The best thing to do is to find something to live for. Once you've figured out what that thing is (it's better if it's a loved one), you'll distract yourself enough to bring yourself out of those thoughts.

EDIT: Oh, and to answer your question, I'd feel devastated, but more ashamed of myself because I couldn't help the loved one in overcoming their temporary problem.

People feeing suicidal mostly aren't thinking straight. Sometimes you can feel like that's the only escape, you get so lost in your own thoughts you convince yourself that it's the right decision. Not fair to call it selfish and cowardly. They key thing for people feeing like this is to be able to talk to someone and snap out of it. And like you said, find some sort of purpose and get through their tough time.
It depends on who it was; if it was one of my friends or family I would be devastated and heartbroken and yes, probably angry, both at them and at myself for not helping them/ recognising signs.

If it was a work colleague or someone I used to know from school/college/uni I would still be a little bit upset, but probably not very angry. Even if it was one of my bullies I'd still be upset and probably go to the funeral
Reply 15
Original post by Lord Samosa
People feeing suicidal mostly aren't thinking straight. Sometimes you can feel like that's the only escape, you get so lost in your own thoughts you convince yourself that it's the right decision. Not fair to call it selfish and cowardly. They key thing for people feeing like this is to be able to talk to someone and snap out of it. And like you said, find some sort of purpose and get through their tough time.

It's also not as straight-forward as snapping out of it :smile:
Original post by Deyesy
It's also not as straight-forward as snapping out of it :smile:

I know, but suicide is never the answer, and people in that situation need to realise that. It can take a while to stop thinking that way for some.
People who say suicide is cowardly need a slap across the face
I would feel sad for the loss yet guilty. You should have alerted someone about it or at least advice the person; but if you have done everything you possibly could, don't carry all the weight on your back.
If someone close to me committed suicide I would be upset and be angry at myself as well as having some feelings of shock.
For someone who isn't close I would just be sad for quite a while.

Quick Reply

Latest