The Student Room Group

Completely panicking over coursework

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by z33
lolol finished :rofl: im behind af and my teacher's literally gonna murder me
im on actually programming it now
but documentation and evaluation shouldn't take long at all :biggrin:

I am exactly the same. I am so happy there is someone who understands. I need to create maybe 2 more pages then code it. Hopefully can finish the system before the end of easter and then do the documentation quite quickly. I pray we can both finish it well and on time.
Reply 21
Original post by John323
I am exactly the same. I am so happy there is someone who understands. I need to create maybe 2 more pages then code it. Hopefully can finish the system before the end of easter and then do the documentation quite quickly. I pray we can both finish it well and on time.

Same T_T hopefully we'll be alright :biggrin:
what language is yours in?
Original post by John323
So F454 is different in they want to see you are following the steps of the systems life cycle? What is your project on and how complex is it? Thanks for feeling my pain its just my teacher hasnt been of much help and I dont want to fail

F454 is about following the systems lifecycle, however you will need a project which enables you to meet each of the bands in the mark scheme. This should be complex enough to meet those bands, i.e. having a real end user for the investigation, use of looping constructs or file writing etc in the code itself. The system should also be simple enough that you do not have to do more than you have to, so getting the balance between simple and complex is important.

Here is an exemplar project from OCR themselves, the moderators show where they have awarded marks and what they want to see.

I did my F454 project before December last year, and my teacher predicts 77/80. My project was a system to test GCSE student's knowledge of binary, hex and octal conversions, with practice tests and writing their scores to a file in CSV format. There was also an admin facility to read files from within the program with username and password logins.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Dapperblook22
F454 is about following the systems lifecycle, however you will need a project which enables you to meet each of the bands in the mark scheme. This should be complex enough to meet those bands, i.e. having a real end user for the investigation, use of looping constructs or file writing etc in the code itself. The system should also be simple enough that you do not have to do more than you have to, so getting the balance between simple and complex is important.

Here is an exemplar project from OCR themselves, the moderators show where they have awarded marks and what they want to see.

I did my F454 project before December last year, and my teacher predicts 77/80. My project was a system to test GCSE student's knowledge of binary, hex and octal conversions, with practice tests and writing their scores to a file in CSV format. There was also an admin facility to read files from within the program with username and password logins.

Hope this helps :smile:

My system has the stuff which I can write about such as the realistic user and all that stuff its just writing a complex enough system is what I am finding difficult. Do you think I have time to put in the complex things by the deadline?
Original post by John323
My system has the stuff which I can write about such as the realistic user and all that stuff its just writing a complex enough system is what I am finding difficult. Do you think I have time to put in the complex things by the deadline?

According to the F454 support document on the OCR website, these are the specification points to the Software Development and Testing stage:

a. develop the rules/methods/algorithms of a design using a programming language
b. develop the data structures of a design using the appropriate features of a programming ....language
c. develop inputs/outputs using the features of a programming language
d. produce suitable modular code with full annotation and a description of how
....the modules combine to create the solution

As long as your system meets these points for software development, then you should be fine :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Dapperblook22
According to the F454 support document on the OCR website, these are the specification points to the Software Development and Testing stage:

a. develop the rules/methods/algorithms of a design using a programming language
b. develop the data structures of a design using the appropriate features of a programming ....language
c. develop inputs/outputs using the features of a programming language
d. produce suitable modular code with full annotation and a description of how
....the modules combine to create the solution

As long as your system meets these points for software development, then you should be fine :smile:

I am a bit baffled by the middle 2 so does it mean create databases for B and connect them and for C mean that the system should have you input something which gives outputs?
Original post by John323
I am a bit baffled by the middle 2 so does it mean create databases for B and connect them and for C mean that the system should have you input something which gives outputs?

I think that explanation works, but I am not too sure. There is moderator guidance on the link I sent if you want to read that :smile:
Reply 27
Remember that development is only one part of the project. Your project seems pretty sound (mine wasn't that complicated and I did alright) :smile:
You can gain a lot of marks by having well written project definition, design, annotating your code fully, doing proper testing, writing a detailed user manual and evaluating well.

Sorry if that sounds like a lot, but my point is that the idea itself is actually not that important, it's how you lay out your document and write well that counts.
Original post by Jamuk
Remember that development is only one part of the project. Your project seems pretty sound (mine wasn't that complicated and I did alright) :smile:
You can gain a lot of marks by having well written project definition, design, annotating your code fully, doing proper testing, writing a detailed user manual and evaluating well.

Sorry if that sounds like a lot, but my point is that the idea itself is actually not that important, it's how you lay out your document and write well that counts.

COMP4 has made me so depressed, I actually hate this coursework! I wish you all the best with your projects :smile:
Hi there I'm currently a final year student doing my dissertation on women in the computing industry and whether changing the curriculum from ICT to Computing would encourage more females into the industry and I would really appreciate it if you could take a couple of minutes to complete this questionnaire for me! Thank you in advance :smile: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1o56EdN-tu39HqJhAWOf_dTmyTIV4uyqYPDt8WTmPEqg/viewform?c=0&w=1
Original post by sham78612
Hi there I'm currently a final year student doing my dissertation on women in the computing industry and whether changing the curriculum from ICT to Computing would encourage more females into the industry and I would really appreciate it if you could take a couple of minutes to complete this questionnaire for me! Thank you in advance :smile: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1o56EdN-tu39HqJhAWOf_dTmyTIV4uyqYPDt8WTmPEqg/viewform?c=0&w=1

Sorry if I wrote an essay πŸ˜‚ But I'm a female who did ICT and currently does computing. If you need any more responses or information do leave me a message :smile:
Original post by Sabbzy221
Sorry if I wrote an essay πŸ˜‚ But I'm a female who did ICT and currently does computing. If you need any more responses or information do leave me a message :smile:

Heyy I've just had a read and it's perfect thank you so much for taking your time to give such detailed answers I really appreciate and your comments are relatable with my previous experience as well and even though I do ICT and you're studying computing if you ever need any help or advice with the subject or anything feel free to send me a message! Are you planning on going to uni if so what would you want to study computing or another subject? Thank you once again!

Ps I had typed out this message before but think it cut half of it lol so not sure if it's gonna be posted twice
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by John323
I am freaking out over this coursework and that my system will not be complex enough. So far I have done a system for detentions and certificates where students login with a standardised login teachers through an SQL database and an admin also through his own standardised login and admin code. Then teachers can edit 2 databases 1 for detentions the other to give certificates and also the admin can edit everything including a list for a catch up session. I AM REALLY WORRIED THIS IS NOT COMPLEX ENOUGH AND WILL NOT GET ME A GOOD MARK (C or above) please NO MEAN COMMENTS I WANT HELP. WILL THIS BE GOOD ENOUGH AND WHAT CAN I ADD TO MAKE IT GOOD ENOUGH. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP

If it's simple you may lose a few marks but it won't cripple your score. What really matters is your development process, user feedback etc... Just make sure you are really detailed and have a nice large amount on the design stage, your user feedback and testing. Just make sure it's thorough and you should be alright.
Heyy I've just had a read and it's perfect thank you so much for taking your time to give such detailed answers I really appreciate and your comments are relatable with my previous experience as well and even though I do ICT and you're studying computing if you ever need any help or advice with the subject or anything feel free to send me a message! Are you planning on going to uni if so what would you want to study computing or another subject? Thank you once again!

Ps I had typed out this message before but think it cut half of it lol so not sure if it's gonna be posted twice

No problem at all, I'm glad I could help you out! And thanks :biggrin: Im planning on doing Biomedical Science at Portsmouth, Im ditching the whole Computing scene before it gets waay too hard πŸ˜‚
Original post by Sabbzy221
No problem at all, I'm glad I could help you out! And thanks :biggrin: Im planning on doing Biomedical Science at Portsmouth, Im ditching the whole Computing scene before it gets waay too hard πŸ˜‚

Ohhh that sounds harder! Aha but good luck with it and with your final few months in year 13 hope you get the grades you need πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€ :smile:
Ohhh that sounds harder! Aha but good luck with it and with your final few months in year 13 hope you get the grades you need πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€ :smile:

Thank you! Good luck in uni :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest