The Student Room Group

Writing notes on a tablet/ipad

I am wondering if I can stop using paper almost completely and write all my notes with a stylus and maybe use something like evernote? This would make for better organisation, portability and searching of notes.

Any thoughts on this guys? I think it sounds like an interesting concept.
Or maybe I could just write notes on paper and scan them in on a printer with a feeder which would be quick...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by acontium
I am wondering if I can stop using paper almost completely and write all my notes with a stylus and maybe use something like evernote? This would make for better organisation, portability and searching of notes.

Or maybe I could just write notes on paper and scan them in on a printer with a feeder which would be quick...

I ve always preferred typed notes, you could pick up a Bluetooth keyboard quite cheap as well.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I ve always preferred typed notes, you could pick up a Bluetooth keyboard quite cheap as well.

Seem my only problem with that would be maths would be hard :tongue:
Seem my only problem with that would be maths would be hard :tongue:

I think onenote supposedly has a pen option which you can write equations with.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
I think onenote supposedly has a pen option which you can write equations with.

Yeah and evernote is also very good!
It's just what to buy! haha
Reply 5
I would video the lecture if the Uni/lecturer does not mind
Reply 6
Original post by M14B
I would video the lecture if the Uni/lecturer does not mind

Of course but I would still need to take notes? This is just purely for note taking :smile:
Reply 7
A lot of people do it on my course. And so do I - typed notes wouldn't do, I'm doing physics so all of my notes are just maths and diagrams. It's awesome because you can always have all your notes on you without having to carry around a large stack of papers which get heavy. If you make it backup to like Google drive or something then you can even access all of it without your tablet. Also, if you keep having to rewrite the same equation in a lecture, you can just copy and paste it instead if your software allows it.
Reply 8

I would recommend OneNote.
Reply 9
Original post by Nadile
A lot of people do it on my course. And so do I - typed notes wouldn't do, I'm doing physics so all of my notes are just maths and diagrams. It's awesome because you can always have all your notes on you without having to carry around a large stack of papers which get heavy. If you make it backup to like Google drive or something then you can even access all of it without your tablet. Also, if you keep having to rewrite the same equation in a lecture, you can just copy and paste it instead if your software allows it.

Could I ask what the devices are? It's hard to decide haha
Reply 10
Could I ask what the devices are? It's hard to decide haha

I'm not really sure, but most definitely use windows tablets that actually come with a stylus and are pretty much made for this. A friend of mine tried out both that and an iPad, but he stuck to the Windows tablet. I'll ask him later what it is exactly (I have no idea, I use an iPad) and I'll let you know.

Hiya! Just moved this to a more appropriate section for you :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Nadile
I'm not really sure, but most definitely use windows tablets that actually come with a stylus and are pretty much made for this. A friend of mine tried out both that and an iPad, but he stuck to the Windows tablet. I'll ask him later what it is exactly (I have no idea, I use an iPad) and I'll let you know.

thanks, I found a cheap 11.6" windows 2-1 laptop which I might use as a trial.
Reply 13
thanks, I found a cheap 11.6" windows 2-1 laptop which I might use as a trial.

My friend uses surface 3, most people used similar looking stuff. I'd definitely look at reviews and maybe go into stores to play around with the display tablets because you want something you can write on comfortably. You wouldn't want your tablet to lag behind what you're writing and make awkward, jagged lines. Looking into the stylus is also a good idea because you may find that you don't like how it feels (though if the tablet comes with a stylus then it will probably be fine, it's more a problem if you use an iPad).
Reply 14
Original post by Nadile
My friend uses surface 3, most people used similar looking stuff. I'd definitely look at reviews and maybe go into stores to play around with the display tablets because you want something you can write on comfortably. You wouldn't want your tablet to lag behind what you're writing and make awkward, jagged lines. Looking into the stylus is also a good idea because you may find that you don't like how it feels (though if the tablet comes with a stylus then it will probably be fine, it's more a problem if you use an iPad).

I wish I could buy the surface 3 but it's so expensive and I've already good my macbook so could I justify it haha!
Reply 15
Update: Bought the Surface Pro 4 haha! Absolutely amazing for taking notes!! I use evernote :smile:

Its a nice idea, I also use my tablet for writing and preparing notes.
Amazing!
Original post by iEthan
Hiya! Just moved this to a more appropriate section for you :smile:

cheers iethan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending