The Student Room Group

'discard remainder 28 days after opening'

I have iritis caused by an autoimmune disease and have been weaning off of steroid drops for the past 5 or so weeks. The drops I'm using atm say discard bottle 28 days after opening, the bottle was opened on the 7th last month.

I have to continue using the drops once a day for at least another 2 weeks, am I ok to still use them? I have an unopened bottle spare, but that it is for when the iritis flares up again in the future which I'm told it most likely will. thanks
Original post by theonelink
I have iritis caused by an autoimmune disease and have been weaning off of steroid drops for the past 5 or so weeks. The drops I'm using atm say discard bottle 28 days after opening, the bottle was opened on the 7th last month.

I have to continue using the drops once a day for at least another 2 weeks, am I ok to still use them? I have an unopened bottle spare, but that it is for when the iritis flares up again in the future which I'm told it most likely will. thanks

I would open the new bottle.
Original post by theonelink

You're already a week over the recommended date and another two would be way too much, I would say that a couple of days past the 28 would probably be ok.. It's possible that the drops become significantly less effective if they are used more than 28 days after opening which will mess up your dosages and may mean you aren't getting the full benefit. I would recommend opening the 2nd bottle and disposing of that once you've finished your course, and if you need ones for future use go back and see your GP/optician.
Definitely open the new bottle - you can always get more from the pharmacy, and out of date medication can be less effective or even harmful.
Open new bottle.

Quick Reply

Latest