The Student Room Group

Russian attack aircraft carry out simulated attack runs against US destroyer

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/russian-attack-jets-aggressively-fly-over-u-s-destroye-1770792698

American sailors aboard the USS Donald Cook got one intimidating air show over the Baltic Sea yesterday. Russian swing-wing Su-24 Fencers made multiple simulated attack runs on their ship. The maneuvers were said to have been “extremely aggressive” and so low that wakes were kicked up in the water below the jets, Navy officials said.

This is idiotic in the extreme. To think it's a good idea to carry out direct provocations between the world's two largest nuclear powers is pure insanity. While the possibility this would escalate into a general nuclear exchange is low, it's not completely out of the question. Wars have begun this way.

Of course a Russian Su-24 is no match for an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer and the destroyer would be in a position to shoot down the aircraft from tens of miles out with its surface-to-air missiles (no matter what laughable stories Russian propaganda outlets offer up about an Su-24 being able to shut off an AEGIS radar). It is a testament to the crew of the USS Donald Cook that they were restrained and professional throughout.

Video below of one of the flypasts

[video="youtube;wq1wDMGA9DM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=22&v=wq1wDMGA9DM[/video]

Scroll to see replies

maybe it was a false flag operation... the US trying to trigger Putin ?
Reply 2
Well whatever makes them feel good about their dilapidated military.
Original post by Aj12
Well whatever makes them feel good about their dilapidated military.

No doubt. During the Cold War, the Soviet Union was a genuine superpower. For a lot of the Cold War their GDP (while substantially lower than America's) was still broadly in the same class, and it was the second largest economy in the world.

These days Russia has about half the population the Soviet Union had in 1991 (about 140 million to 290 million). Russia has a GDP substantially smaller than the UK's. Russia is simply not the same country that the Soviet Union was.

This amazing graphic shows just what a genuine military threat the Soviet Union was, they were a genuine superpower. And how much they have fallen since

Original post by BeastOfSyracuse

This amazing graphic shows just what a genuine military threat the Soviet Union was, they were a genuine superpower. And how much they have fallen since

PRSOM

that is a brilliant way to show how Putin's navy has shrivelled up.
Original post by the bear
PRSOM

that is a brilliant way to show how Putin's navy has shrivelled up.

Cheers! :smile: It is really interesting to see in that graphical form, both to see how the Russian Navy has shrivelled up but also how immense the Soviet Navy was. The number of nuclear submarines they possessed is mind-boggling (considering today the Royal Navy has seven attack subs and four boomers.. though at the height of the Cold War in the 1980s I think we had about 35 attack submarines total, both nuclear and diesel. Then again, in the 1980s we spent about 6% of GDP on defence and now we spend 2%. In fairness, we also have substantially better capabilities in many areas today than we had in the 1980s so we are getting more bang for buck)
(edited 7 years ago)
Comrade Vladimir will make the motherland great again!

В гостя́х хорошо́, а до́ма лу́чше

Бу́дет и на на́шей у́лице пра́здник
Original post by chemting
Comrade Vladimir will make the motherland great again!

В гостя́х хорошо́, а до́ма лу́чше

Бу́дет и на на́шей у́лице пра́здник

All Praise Lord Putin: the most merciful, the most benevolent!
Putin the paedophile and America are the two biggest threats to world peace.
It wouldn't be one of my threads if you didn't obsessively try to derail it. I've reported you for harassment, and now I'll add you to my ignore list.

Life's too short to deal with crackpots and weirdos.

X

:lol: There's something extremely unsettling about the botoxed weirdo in charge of the Russian Federation. Did you see the video of him and Medvedev working out? They look like a couple of clapped out old queens desperately trying to hold onto their youth (that's not homophobic btw, I'm gay myself). The funniest bit is when they have tea at the end

[video="youtube;uw1tmO0T260"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1tmO0T260[/video]
Original post by darkvibes
Putin the paedophile and America are the two biggest threats to world peace.

Nope. Islamic fundamentalism trumps them both.
:lol: There's something extremely unsettling about the botoxed weirdo in charge of the Russian Federation. Did you see the video of him and Medvedev working out? They look like a couple of clapped out old queens desperately trying to hold onto their youth (that's not homophobic btw, I'm gay myself). The funniest bit is when they have tea at the end

[video="youtube;uw1tmO0T260"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1tmO0T260[/video]

Yeah that was funny. Didn't he eat steak afterwards? or was that another video?

He's definitely trying to make up for something lacking in the men's area...
You don't think we run our own simulations against other forces?

Nah you're probably right that's a bit too smart for us.

a charming bromance...

:h:
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
You don't think we run our own simulations against other forces?

Nah you're probably right that's a bit too smart for us.

Nope. The US doesn't fly its aircraft at 30 feet over Russian destroyers simulating attack runs. We don't fly our nuclear bombers up to the Russian border or carry out simulated nuclear attacks against their cities, as the Russians have done to the UK and Denmark.

That's because we're not insane and we don't have anything to prove. Putin clearly does. And if you think engaging in provocations against another nuclear power is "smart", I don't think that word means what you think it means
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
Nope. Islamic fundamentalism trumps them both.

ISIS are losing ground faster than they can think. A terrorist attack is nowhere near as destructive as the recklessness of the Russians or Americans who continue to want a cold war.

You on the other hand is just worried because of violence written on a 1500 year old script, im worried about countries that have enough nuclear capacity to destroy the world more than 20 times over.
I'd have fired on them and then blown the missiles just before they reached the planes just to show it won't be tolerated (and put the fear of hell into the pilots)

Or let it hit and them blame the ships auto defense systems

But that's just me
We don't fly our nuclear bombers up to the Russian border.

That's because we're not insane and we don't have anything to prove.

*whispers* No, it's because we don't have any nuclear bombers...

General point stands, though.

Quick Reply

Latest