The Student Room Group

London living costs on a funded PhD

Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out if this is doable. I have an interview at City University for a funded PhD position (at the agreed London rate of £16,057 per year) and I need to know if I can actually afford to live in London on that? If I can't or would have to live in a hovel then I need to know. I don't want to spend 3 years without a life due to being horribly poor.
Hi, I am on a funded PhD Position at a lower rate than you are being offered while being in London, at £14,057 i think it is and I am able to live comfortably, on saying that I live at home and pay no rent. Those expenses are designed for you to be able to live, so you should be able to find a place in halls or an apartment of some sort whether shared or studio. Then again, my travel is also cheaper than yours since I am only using zone 2-3 and I am sure city is through zone 1, which escalates it a lot. Being on a funded phd course you should have the opportunity to teach or invigilate. you can also work a weekend job too.
Original post by alexgilder
Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out if this is doable. I have an interview at City University for a funded PhD position (at the agreed London rate of £16,057 per year) and I need to know if I can actually afford to live in London on that? If I can't or would have to live in a hovel then I need to know. I don't want to spend 3 years without a life due to being horribly poor.

It's certainly doable if you are just renting a room in a shared property and with that figure you wouldn't have to go for the worst room in the worst location, you might also be able to consider some studios, certainly a one bed flat would be a stretch though.
I did this with kids, but relied on additional contributions from spouse and family. Not easy, but you just do what you have to do, for a fixed term, as it's an amazing opportunity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending