The Student Room Group

Girls, would you rather have a happy relationship or a successful career?

Scroll to see replies

I'd rather live in rural Bulgaria working as a farmer with a pretty wife than be a single dentist in Birmingham. Money means very little to me.
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
No but your boss might.

But what if you are the boss? If you put your heart and soul into a career, most of the time, it'll take care of you.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
But what if you are the boss? If you put your heart and soul into a career, most of the time, it'll take care of you.

Not as fun as it sounds.

More risk and overtime, it's the reason people sacrifice their freedom to work that crappy job getting bossed about by a moron.
Not as fun as it sounds.

More risk and overtime, it's the reason people sacrifice their freedom to work that crappy job getting bossed about by a moron.

If I have a career is something I love then I'd happily work more if I have to.

I'd be married to my job.
If I have a career is something I love then I'd happily work more if I have to.

I'd be married to my job.

You have to be careful the stress doesn't ruin it though.

Let's say you start a pottery business because you love making pots. You'll probably have to take out a loan (risk), invest a lot of time into marketing and then buy the supplies.

What happens when your supplier screws up? You have the responsibility, you have the responsibility for everything. That comes with a lot of stress.

If that doesn't kill your passion more power to you.
You have to be careful the stress doesn't ruin it though.

Let's say you start a pottery business because you love making pots. You'll probably have to take out a loan (risk), invest a lot of time into marketing and then buy the supplies.

What happens when your supplier screws up? You have the responsibility, you have the responsibility for everything. That comes with a lot of stress.

If that doesn't kill your passion more power to you.

I'm not planning to start my own business. I want to work in publishing/be an editor in chief :tongue:
I'm not planning to start my own business. I want to work in publishing/be an editor in chief :tongue:

Could you replace the muppet in charge of theguardian?
Could you replace the muppet in charge of theguardian?

I don't want to do newspapers sadly.
Both
I don't want to do newspapers sadly.

:frown:

Could you take her anyway?
:frown:

Could you take her anyway?

Ok :tongue:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You can be made redundant.

Highlighting the difference between career and job - even if you lose a job, if you're successful in your field then you're not going to be losing your career.

Just step forward and people will be happy to take on an experienced professional :cute:
A career!

I'm so passionate about what I do, I just wouldn't be able to live life happily if I was never successful in it. Plus it won't ever breakup with me one day :h:
Why is this only aimed at girls anyway?

Personally, I'd take the career - I could never be totally happy in a relationship if I felt like I was failing myself... building myself up into a personal success would be the keystone for a happy life.

Relationships are great but they're not an all-fulfilling key to happiness.
Original post by Alexion
Highlighting the difference between career and job - even if you lose a job, if you're successful in your field then you're not going to be losing your career.

Just step forward and people will be happy to take on an experienced professional :cute:

Not always.

If you are sacked by a school the reason might prevent you getting another job. You could try private tuition but it depends on reputation, which again might be too damaged to improve.
A job I loved tbh
Original post by Alexion

Personally, I'd take the career - I could never be totally happy in a relationship if I felt like I was failing myself... building myself up into a personal success would be the keystone for a happy life.

Well, if one only has a relationship and not work, hobbies and friends I would imagine that to be a very miserable life, part of what keeps things exciting is time. It depends what you mean by success I suppose. Is Trump successful? Career wise yeah. I'd still never want to be him though beause he's revolting. I prefer character and art over success :smile:
Original post by Alexion

it depends on the specifics of the scenario but good point from alex

yeh need to be happy with yourself alone or not rather than find the gal and be a humbug
Original post by trustmeimlying1
it depends on the specifics of the scenario but good point from alex

yeh need to be happy with yourself alone or not rather than find the gal and be a humbug

In an ideal state one would be happy with nothing. But since that creates conditions of laziness and poverty we must be unhappy to achieve.

It's a great irony I have discovered, that ambition is often the result of unhappiness, but to give it up would be to do nothing
Great relationship because I think validation is what we seek through most pursuits and if someone gives you that that can honestly propel you to do a lot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending