The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Accommodation at DMU

I have accepted a place on the Child Nursing course at DMU, and i dont know what accommodation is best for me. i know i really dont want to go to waterway gardens, as i would like an ensuite. any advice??
Hi there! I have accepted a place on the Footwear Design course at DMU but i can't decide on an accommodation either. I would like an ensuite too so I'm not gonna choose waterway gardens.

I prefer a place where I can get groceries and food nearby and I'm not into clubbing or pubbing. Somewhere which feels safe, is quiet at night and has bright street lights would be nice.

I'm thinking maybe VIctoria Hall, New wharf Hall or Newarke Point.

Any advice would be very much appreciated :biggrin:
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by lowrijjones
I have accepted a place on the Child Nursing course at DMU, and i dont know what accommodation is best for me. i know i really dont want to go to waterway gardens, as i would like an ensuite. any advice??

Original post by Pencilperson
Hi there! I have accepted a place on the Footwear Design course at DMU but i can't decide on an accommodation either. I would like an ensuite too so I'm not gonna choose waterway gardens.

I prefer a place where I can get groceries and food nearby and I'm not into clubbing or pubbing. Somewhere which feels safe, is quiet at night and has bright street lights would be nice.

I'm thinking maybe VIctoria Hall, New wharf Hall or Newarke Point.

Any advice would be very much appreciated :biggrin:

I'm a second year Pharmaceutical and Cosmetic Science student and I lived in The Grange in my first year and am now in a shared house with 2 coursemates. I'm thinking about going to Code for my final year because they have studio rooms of a high standard, although they're pricey at £99 pw minimum.

New Wharf isn't ensuite so you might want to rethink that option!

Victoria Halll is where I would like to have been in my first year because it's so reasonably priced and is so close to the city centre, being a 2 minute walk from the nearest club and 5 minutes from High Cross shopping centre, but you'll have further to walk to a supermarket. You will find party people in Victoria Hall and Newarke Point, so if you're looking for somewhere quiet then they're definitely not the best options.
The Grange was a good choice for first year. I was lucky with my flatmates, and the location is still pretty good as it's on campus but close to amenities. However I'd recommend choosing a flat in block A as that's where the office is and therefore other blocks aren't in very good condition.

I wouldn't recommend Filbert Village because it's such a long walk away, but it's probably the best choice if you're not a party person and don't mind a slightly longer walk to lectures. Liberty Park is a suitable choice as it's not quite as far away, but is also a more noisy option. The quietest option really will be Waterway Gardens because you're in a house. My coursemate (and now housemate) lived there last year and found that because she was living with nurses, they were all around at different times so there wasn't a problem with the bathroom being free, and they're all hygienic and tidy with being nurses. However they won't want any noise because they will sometimes have night shifts, hence why they're in houses and not the usual halls.

I hope you made some sense of that? Quote me if I can help with anything else.
Have you also had chance to look at our residence, Grosvenor House?

Located adjacent to the campus, all of Grosvenor's rooms are En Suite, and includes all-inclusive bills, regular social events, and up to 100 Mb Wi-Fi throughout (one of the highest in Leicester).
Original post by carrotstar
I'm a second year Pharmaceutical and Cosmetic Science student and I lived in The Grange in my first year and am now in a shared house with 2 coursemates. I'm thinking about going to Code for my final year because they have studio rooms of a high standard, although they're pricey at £99 pw minimum.

New Wharf isn't ensuite so you might want to rethink that option!

Victoria Halll is where I would like to have been in my first year because it's so reasonably priced and is so close to the city centre, being a 2 minute walk from the nearest club and 5 minutes from High Cross shopping centre, but you'll have further to walk to a supermarket. You will find party people in Victoria Hall and Newarke Point, so if you're looking for somewhere quiet then they're definitely not the best options.
The Grange was a good choice for first year. I was lucky with my flatmates, and the location is still pretty good as it's on campus but close to amenities. However I'd recommend choosing a flat in block A as that's where the office is and therefore other blocks aren't in very good condition.

I wouldn't recommend Filbert Village because it's such a long walk away, but it's probably the best choice if you're not a party person and don't mind a slightly longer walk to lectures. Liberty Park is a suitable choice as it's not quite as far away, but is also a more noisy option. The quietest option really will be Waterway Gardens because you're in a house. My coursemate (and now housemate) lived there last year and found that because she was living with nurses, they were all around at different times so there wasn't a problem with the bathroom being free, and they're all hygienic and tidy with being nurses. However they won't want any noise because they will sometimes have night shifts, hence why they're in houses and not the usual halls.

I hope you made some sense of that? Quote me if I can help with anything else.

I already chose my accommodation (Liberty Park) as they weren't much choices left and I was worried that they might run out of en suites. :biggrin:

But thank you very much for your post, that was very informative and quite reassuring!
Original post by Prodigy Living
Have you also had chance to look at our residence, Grosvenor House?

Located adjacent to the campus, all of Grosvenor's rooms are En Suite, and includes all-inclusive bills, regular social events, and up to 100 Mb Wi-Fi throughout (one of the highest in Leicester).

Thank you for offering but I've already chose my accommodation for this year.
I shall check it out next year :smile:
Original post by Pencilperson
Thank you for offering but I've already chose my accommodation for this year.
I shall check it out next year :smile:

No worries :smile: Hope you have a wonderful year, and that we shall hopefully see you in 2017/18!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending