The Student Room Group

Nhs bursary?

I'm starting adult nursing in September and I've applied for my bursary by what If my parents earn too much for me to be eliable for the bursary then what happens? What do I have to pay for? Will I have to pay for the course it's self? And would I be best getting a student loan out to cover it all?
Original post by Britaniann24
I'm starting adult nursing in September and I've applied for my bursary by what If my parents earn too much for me to be eliable for the bursary then what happens? What do I have to pay for? Will I have to pay for the course it's self? And would I be best getting a student loan out to cover it all?

Your parents would have to earn over 60k for it to be only the non-means tested bursary. You will definetly get your tution covered and 1k from the nhs and 2.3k as a student loan. However, as everyone gets the same student loan you can't borrow anymore even if your parents earn a lot so if they do you need a serious conversation with them now as to whether they are able to help.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Your parents would have to earn over 60k for it to be only the non-means tested bursary. You will definetly get your tution covered and 1k from the nhs and 2.3k as a student loan. However, as everyone gets the same student loan you can't borrow anymore even if your parents earn a lot so if they do you need a serious conversation with them now as to whether they are able to help.

My parents do earn over the 60k a year? But they are refusing to pay as its my own responsibility now as it was my choice to go to uni? So I will still get my course funded and get 1k from the nhs and 2.3k as a loan even if they earn over the 60k mark?

I've moved your tread to the Nursing and Midwifery forum so it can be seen by people in the same position as you and hopefully they can offer some advice based on their experiences.
My parents do earn over the 60k a year? But they are refusing to pay as its my own responsibility now as it was my choice to go to uni? So I will still get my course funded and get 1k from the nhs and 2.3k as a loan even if they earn over the 60k mark?

Oh i m so sorry to hear that you have parents like that. Yes that will be the case. It will be difficult for you to work during uni at times so i d recommend you look into working over the summer and getting some form of savings in the bank and also get an overdraft sorted.
Reply 5
Oh i m so sorry to hear that you have parents like that. Yes that will be the case. It will be difficult for you to work during uni at times so i d recommend you look into working over the summer and getting some form of savings in the bank and also get an overdraft sorted.

I'm setting up a student account so I can become overdraft if needs be, and I have some savings started already! But I will be going on to bank staff at work as I'll need to pay for my accommodation too! So term time jobs are a must for me to build bits up!
I'm setting up a student account so I can become overdraft if needs be, and I have some savings started already! But I will be going on to bank staff at work as I'll need to pay for my accommodation too! So term time jobs are a must for me to build bits up!

Great that you've got some savings already, it depends on the uni city but if you look into shared houses that could save you some money rather than going into uni halls.
Reply 7
Great that you've got some savings already, it depends on the uni city but if you look into shared houses that could save you some money rather than going into uni halls.

I'll be at Bradford uni, there about £69 all in with bills pw, which isn't outrageous! Surely if I put my mind and a lot of hard work I'll do it 👊🏼
I'll be at Bradford uni, there about £69 all in with bills pw, which isn't outrageous! Surely if I put my mind and a lot of hard work I'll do it 👊🏼

That's actually a brilliant rent price :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending