The Student Room Group

International student getting braces removed on NHS

Hi

A friend of mine is planning to come to the UK to study next year from her home country (Vietnam, if that's relevant). She currently has braces on her teeth, and her dentist just told her that they are due to come off in the same year that she plans to be in the UK.

I know that getting braces on isn't covered by the NHS. How about getting them removed? I can't seem to find any documentation on that.

Would the removal of braces be covered any of the payment bands outlined here: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1781.aspx ?

NHS dental charges

There are three NHS charge bands:
Band 1: £19.70 covers an examination, diagnosis and advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, a scale and polish and planning for further treatment.
Band 2: £53.90 covers all treatment covered by Band 1, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment and removing teeth (extractions).
Band 3: £233.70 covers all treatment covered by Bands 1 and 2, plus more complex procedures, such as crowns, dentures and bridges.

This page notes under Band 1

* adjusting false teeth (dentures) or orthodontic appliances, such as braces

Would removing or checking braces fall under "adjusting"?

Thanks for any input you can offer.
Original post by tensorproduct
Hi

A friend of mine is planning to come to the UK to study next year from her home country (Vietnam, if that's relevant). She currently has braces on her teeth, and her dentist just told her that they are due to come off in the same year that she plans to be in the UK.

I know that getting braces on isn't covered by the NHS. How about getting them removed? I can't seem to find any documentation on that.

Would the removal of braces be covered any of the payment bands outlined here: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1781.aspx ?

This page notes under Band 1

Would removing or checking braces fall under "adjusting"?

Thanks for any input you can offer.

I dont believe adjustment covers removal, its also pretty difficult to find an nhs orthodontist. NHS dentists themselves rarely dont have some sort of waiting list so going private would probably get your friend seen much more quicker.
Original post by claireestelle
I dont believe adjustment covers removal, its also pretty difficult to find an nhs orthodontist. NHS dentists themselves rarely dont have some sort of waiting list so going private would probably get your friend seen much more quicker.

Thanks for responding so quickly. That's what I thought might be the case. I guess it would be almost cheaper for her to fly home for a week to have the procedure done than to have it done privately.
Original post by tensorproduct
Thanks for responding so quickly. That's what I thought might be the case. I guess it would be almost cheaper for her to fly home for a week to have the procedure done than to have it done privately.

Private dentists can vary widely in prices in the uk but it could be cheaper to fly home yes.

Quick Reply

Latest