The Student Room Group

Feminist bake sale ends in rape and death threats?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Twinpeaks
Incorrect usage of the word triggered there love.

'with prices set at the proportion of the dollar female graduates of each faculty earned relative to men.
Prices for each baked good started at $1 for students who identified as men, with deductions for women and more for those in male-dominated industries'

Morons. Male graduates earning more than female graduates of a certain faculty is not inherently sexist. There are a whole host of probable causes, like the higher earning potential in fields men choose to go into more often

I have yet to see any convincing evidence that an unjustified gender pay gap exists. I think these people are just a bit stupid and desperate to have something to purposefully campaign about
Ok lets see
1. none of these rape threats can be shown (Not saying they didnt happen)
2. these stupid feminists think that the wage gap is actually real, but any good study will actually give you something different that is not sexist.
3. all of the "memes" made were just poking fun at it and if you cannot take it you really should go live in a sound proof box
What does baking have to do with women's rights. The first bad idea. And then why would they try the two-wrongs-make-a-right method?
Original post by a noble chance
'with prices set at the proportion of the dollar female graduates of each faculty earned relative to men.
Prices for each baked good started at $1 for students who identified as men, with deductions for women and more for those in male-dominated industries'

Morons. Male graduates earning more than female graduates of a certain faculty is not inherently sexist. There are a whole host of probable causes, like the higher earning potential in fields men choose to go into more often

I have yet to see any convincing evidence that an unjustified gender pay gap exists. I think these people are just a bit stupid and desperate to have something to purposefully campaign about

word.
Did women also have to wait an extra 4 years to be served due to the "gender life expectancy gap"?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
That was the point. It was a stunt you imbeciles. Whether or not it exists the whole point was to raise awareness of a gender wage gap these feminists think exists via the medium of cakes costing more if you are a man. :s-smilie:. I guess a cake sale infringes upon the professionally offended's safe spaces.

To raise awareness of something based on decades old data that has been debunked many many times, even by impartial bodies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
To raise awareness of something based on decades old data that has been debunked many many times, even by impartial bodies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like I said, it's irrelevant whether it is true or not.

It's a good idea to make the point they wanted to make.

it's pretty harmless albeit if it's not true, then they are just setting up a discriminatory bake sale. After all what about all the men who are low earners, do they get a discount which high earning women then have to pay for? Also since this is a Uni campus and thus most students will be under 30, why aren't women paying more, since new data says they out earn men? (but men out earn them once they're older, generally due to women going part-time when they have a family).

Really though rape threats? Trolls being trolls but they feed their feminists ideology by doing so and honestly threatening to rape someone is pretty disgusting regardless, bit like those pricks who sent messages like that regarding Jamie Vardy's 1yr old daughter, name and shame them.

It isn't irrelevant though. If it is true then there is a point to be made, if it is not true then there is no point to be made and they just reinforce the madness of the groups most associated with modern feminism

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dodgypirate

They shouldn't have had differential prices because that simply perpetuates inequality.

But even as a critic of the modern social media strand of feminism, I'd say that these things often bring out all sorts of misogynistic creeps from the woodwork who do make disgusting and obscene comments and even threats.
Original post by joey11223
it's pretty harmless albeit if it's not true, then they are just setting up a discriminatory bake sale.

And strictly speaking, there's little doubt that by charging men more, they have acted unlawfully and contravened the Australian Sex Discrimination Act 1984.

The act makes it illegal to treat someone less favourably on the grounds of their sex, which this bake sale did.

I'm not saying it's the worst thing ever, but engaging in an act of sex discrimination to protest sex discrimination is simply ludicrous

After all what about all the men who are low earners, do they get a discount which high earning women then have to pay for?

Indeed. Men also have shorter life expectancies and invariably do the dirtiest and most dangerous jobs in society (deep cut mining, garbage collection, cleaning up crime scenes etc)
(edited 8 years ago)
They want " Gender equality " but the charge men $1 for a cake
When every "death threat" or "rape threat" made on the internet these days is by Cheetoh-munching trolls in their mom's basements, I don't think they need to be taken as seriously as they are. But feminist activists are always going to, for the sympathy points. And, to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if half of these 'threats' are simply fabrications made for the sake of publicity.

Anyway, charging men more this way is both sexist and a dumb (albeit common) misinterpretation/misrepresentation of the wage gap.
Original post by Jammy Duel
It isn't irrelevant though. If it is true then there is a point to be made, if it is not true then there is no point to be made and they just reinforce the madness of the groups most associated with modern feminism

Posted from TSR Mobile

WE are talking about the effectiveness of the protest at getting the message it wants to get out (well I am anyway). It doesn't matter whether that message has any basis in truth for this discussion.
Maybe they should have done something like the inverse of what Gillette do with their 'Venus' razors instead - price the pink-iced cakes with flower sprinkles on them at 77c, and any cake that doesn't look ridiculously fouffy at $1. Guys could either be happy to find their inner fairy princess, or pay more for a more 'manly' cake. It's a win either way. (I know a few would still stomp and complain and be petulant five year olds, but some people just can't be helped, and at least the cake sellers would be the ones saying "what's the matter love, can't you take a joke? It's just a bit of fun, lighten up, where's your sense of humour?")

Amused by the people who think the pay gap doesn't exist, though. That contradicts what the Law Society, the NHS, and the Institution of Chemical Engineers, just to cite the first three hits, have said about pay within their own professions in the last year. Bit weird for professional bodies to be putting their hands up and saying "we have a problem" if they really don't. I didn't think lawyers, in particular, were known for 'fessing up to things they haven't done. Droll.
Original post by a noble chance

Read this sentence again:

Prices for each baked good started at $1 for students who identified as men'

In their minds simply saying you are male is enough to acquire privilege and higher pay. They have no intention of entertaining the possibility that individual men and women earn more and less than the other for reasons other than their gender
"Online Backlash" So trolls being trolls?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by florabritannica
Maybe they should have done something like the inverse of what Gillette do with their 'Venus' razors instead - price the pink-iced cakes with flower sprinkles on them at 77c, and any cake that doesn't look ridiculously fouffy at $1. Guys could either be happy to find their inner fairy princess, or pay more for a more 'manly' cake. It's a win either way. (I know a few would still stomp and complain and be petulant five year olds, but some people just can't be helped, and at least the cake sellers would be the ones saying "what's the matter love, can't you take a joke? It's just a bit of fun, lighten up, where's your sense of humour?":wink:

Amused by the people who think the pay gap doesn't exist, though. That contradicts what the Law Society, the NHS, and the Institution of Chemical Engineers, just to cite the first three hits, have said about pay within their own professions in the last year. Bit weird for professional bodies to be putting their hands up and saying "we have a problem" if they really don't. I didn't think lawyers, in particular, were known for 'fessing up to things they haven't done. Droll.

Cite your sources
Original post by Dodgypirate

You're 'anging mate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending