The Student Room Group

Just wrote my dissertation in 4 days AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Fox Corner
Haha... You started the thread! :laugh:

I guess. It's been an overwhelming part of my life the last few days. Currently sat in the university library post hand-in, wondering what to do with myself
Original post by SEM94
I guess. It's been an overwhelming part of my life the last few days. Currently sat in the university library post hand-in, wondering what to do with myself

Go and treat yourself! Dissertations are exhausting.

Or I suppose you haven't had that much sleep - maybe get into bed for a week?
Did the four days include research? How long did that take you or is it all original? How many drafts did you do?
How does it feel spending so little time on an important assignment?
Original post by anonymous8273
That's mad, got over a month to write half of mine. Also, (Russell group) doesn't make your dissertation any harder than anyone else's I'm afraid.

Dissertations definitely differ in how difficult it is to score top marks depending on the uni. It's the same with any course. Maths at Imperial will be more difficult than maths at middlesex for example. It's not secondary school where every institution does the same content.

And to OP, inb4 you get a 2:2 due to lack of detail
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
Tell us what you will be graduating with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

High 2.1/1st
Reply 26
Original post by 999tigger
Did the four days include research? How long did that take you or is it all original? How many drafts did you do?

Luckily I had all of the secondary reading/research. However I hadn't created an extensive plan so it involved going through a lot of the research again as I was writing.

I started writing Sunday afternoon and wrote 1500 word into
On Monday I did first chapter, which was 2500
On Tuesday I did second chapter, another 2500
Wednesday I 2500 for chapter three which I then finished around 9pm. I then wrote my conclusion which I finished at 10am (found this bit the hardest)
Deadline was 2.00 and I handed in at 1.59

Over those 4 days I slept for approximately 4 hours on the Sunday evening, 3 hours on Monday evening, 20-minute power nap on the Tuesday evening, and then I didn't sleep until after hand in on the Wednesday.

I do not recommend this in the slightest; my stress levels were undescribable. There is no way I would have got it done in those four days if I hadn't done all the research
Reply 27
Original post by OddFuturez
How does it feel spending so little time on an important assignment?

I had spent months researching and reading around it.
Reply 28
Original post by Lawliettt
Dissertations definitely differ in how difficult it is to score top marks depending on the uni. It's the same with any course. Maths at Imperial will be more difficult than maths at middlesex for example. It's not secondary school where every institution does the same content.

And to OP, inb4 you get a 2:2 due to lack of detail

If anything there was too much detail. Luckily I had done all of the secondary research/reading, and I'm happy with the end result. The process of writing it though was absolutely horrific.
Goodness, OP, that's almost as impressive as if you'd thought ahead a little and taken a sensible amount of time to write it.

Original post by anonymous8273
Also (modern) History at UEA... Just get slightly annoyed about the whole russell group thing. Our lecturers teach at Oxford, Cambridge, Kings too and they mark it all the same.

What are you looking to do after, or as stuck for ideas as I am?

lmao no they don't.
Reply 30
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Goodness, OP, that's almost as impressive as if you'd thought ahead a little and taken a sensible amount of time to write it.

lmao no they don't.

I've always worked better under pressure
Original post by SEM94
Still asking myself the same question; not 4 days I'm going to forget in a hurry
When's yours due?

Mine is due in a weeks time. You've made me feel slightly better..got 4000 words to go..but not knowing how it will be graded etc is making it really difficult to write :frown:
Reply 32
Original post by SEM94
I had spent months researching and reading around it.

That's what's going to make the difference. I'd hate casual TSR readers to skim past your thread title and think the whole thing was feasible in four days from start to finish!

A dissertation isn't an essay. It's an in-depth pience of research which takes a lot of preparation if you want a decent mark. At some unis, you can get great marks for everything else, but the diss gives you the "Honours" element. Worst case if you fail the diss, you can walk away with an Ordinary degree (below a Third but above a fail) if you crash & burn with the diss, even if you've had 2:1/Firsts for everything else.

Obviously not going to apply to you OP, but it's worth clarifying for a general readership.
Reply 33
Mine is due next Friday. I have 1000 words at the moment and I fear I'll send it in without editing. I'm very worried and stressed to the point that I am calm.
I just finished editing my dissertation as of today, it's due in on Monday and I spent time on and off it since last summer when I started reading for it. I plan to get it printed and bind tomorrow and will either submit tomorrow or Friday. My dissertation is 8700 words with expected amount being 8000, 10% either side in the university rules. Am hoping for a 2.1. Am glad it is done and I don't have to panic about getting it done and sorted. It's been a long hard piece of research but am really happy with what I achieved and have decided no matter what grade I get, I will be happy as I have worked to the best of my abilities and achieve something that I didn't think I could do at the start of my degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending