The Student Room Group

Getting too stressed about GCSE's

I am doing as much revision as I can but getting highly stressed and thinking I am gonna fail with E's, F's and G's. What should I do to get rid of this fear?
Original post by Tinka99
I am doing as much revision as I can but getting highly stressed and thinking I am gonna fail with E's, F's and G's. What should I do to get rid of this fear?

Try not to put so much pressure on yourself, worst case scenario you can resit so try not to worry so much :smile: Maybe plan some me time during revision, doesnt have to be anything fancy just something to help you destress a bit.
Reply 2
Original post by Tinka99

Get a grip! It's only GCSE's, I fear for you next year when you have to do real work:eek:
Cram as much of your revision into the night before, worked for me:biggrin:
Original post by Tinka99

You may be doing too much! Give yourself a break. Don't revise for more than 45 minutes at a time-after 45 mins, have a 15 minute break. Honestly, it will help so much. Also, don't start cramming in loads of topics that you need to revise. I recommend writing out a general timetable. By that i mean, from now up until your last exam, plan out what topics of what subject you're going to study each day. This will make you a lot less stressed because you'll know what needs doing and that it can be done by the time of your exam. When you're doing a timetable, make it more like a check-list for each day because if you start planning each hour of your day, you'll feel even more stressed and won't have any freedom. In terms of actual revision, you can do loads of things. Even if you can't learn by making notes and reading from them, you could make notes (or use existing ones) and record yourself saying them out loud. You could do this for each topic of each subject, listen to the recordings and then do practice exam questions. This way, you'll still be recapping the information but it will take you less time and you'll even get practice papers fit in. Personally, I've only recorded my notes for B1 of biology but I'm hoping to get it done for all three units and for chemistry, physics and history too and then I'm planning on listening to them as and when i can. On some days, for example Monday, I'm going to listen to the notes and do a full past papers. OK, I better stop talking now. I really hope this helped!:h:
You can do this OP! Just do your best, your best is enough :smile:
plan out your revision so you feel organised, and make sure to have some relaxation time in between.

If you are struggling to remember stuff about some topics, try a range of different methods, like singing your notes, saying them in different accents. Recording yourself saying your notes, and listen to them when you are going to scl etc.

Also try teaching topics to someone. And if its something like dates, equations, make big colourful posters, and stick them around your house, or associate the dates with something silly to help you remember.

Best of luck OP, we can do it! ;D
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by FabulouslyAwks
You can do this OP! Just do your best, your best is enough :smile:
plan out your revision so you feel organised, and make sure to have some relaxation time in between.

If you are struggling to remember stuff about some topics, try a range of different methods, like singing your notes, saying them in different accents. Recording yourself saying your notes, and listen to them when you are going to scl etc.

Also try teaching topics to someone. And if its something like dates, equations, make big colourful posters, and stick them around your house, or associate the dates with something silly to help you remember.

Best of luck OP, we can do it! ;D

I do have an organised timetable right up to my first exam as well and also planned what revision methods I would use for each subject. I keep on thinking I am gonna fail even though I got 10 A*-C grades in my mock and constantly revision every single day without fail.
Original post by Tinka99
I do have an organised timetable right up to my first exam as well and also planned what revision methods I would use for each subject. I keep on thinking I am gonna fail even though I got 10 A*-C grades in my mock and constantly revision every single day without fail.

When you are doing your best, you aren't going to fail. That is just the anxiety, you are going do awesome, view the exams to show of all your skills :wink:
Reply 7
Hello Tinka

It's normal to feel stressed; it's part of being human! The answer is - you cannot completely remove this fear. The best thing to do, as suggested by others - is to make a timetable and revise hard so you will be prepared. If you keep believing that you'll fail, then it will eventually come true since you've set your mind to that. Try to do that opposite!

In the end, it's better to have worked hard and finished the exams knowing that you've done your best - than to not have revised and not done so well. So just try your best. Good luck(my exams are coming soon also)
Reply 8
Original post by bigwang
Get a grip! It's only GCSE's, I fear for you next year when you have to do real work:eek:

well that's not very nice or helpful now is it??? OP is stressed and undermining their worries won't help anyone :{
Think about all the grades you want on that A4 sheet of paper on the 25th August. You know that what grades you get will make you happy because you have worked hard.

Man it's only another 2 months until the last exam is over and they haven't even started!! Then you have all the time in the world to hibernate in your room playing Star wars battlefront, drinking the Smirnoff and coke 24/7, Netflix 'n Chill with your bird, lots of TSR, eating, sleeping... you'll have all the time in the world in just two months!!

Meanwhile, I suggest you take breaks. I have literally had no social life so I pretty depressed... but then I jump on my PC and start playing Dota 2 with all my other mates who are also hermit crabs now!

It's pretty late and i have been revising for about 5 hours and I assume you've also been revising. It's time to chill out and take a break.

Quick Reply

Latest