The Student Room Group

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is one of the greatest albums of all time

It's an irrefutable fact.

When one says 'the greatest albums of all time', some obvious contenders come out:

The Dark Side of the Moon
Highway 61 Revisited
Revolver
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Queen is Dead
Illmatic
Innervisions
What's Going on
Nevermind
etc (you get the picture)
[if you haven't heard these albums you are missing out so stop what ur doing and listen now]

Ok
There's another which needs to be added to the ranks of the best.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Many will argue its invalid because it's creator is a huge egoist, or because it's a rap album. But every part of this masterpiece deserves respect.

The introspection
The gorgeous (pun intended) instrumentals
Every perfectly used feature.

Despite the fact it was released just six years ago, Kanye still managed to create piece so moving, so relevant and so well produced it deserves its spot on a list amongst the greats. Bar a handful of people, no one has managed to make a rap album so close to being compared to the greats of yesterday.

Scroll to see replies

It's not invalid because it's creator is a bell it's invalid because it's boring and not even his best album.

no one has managed to make a rap album so close to being compared to the greats of yesterday.

There are plenty.
Reply 2
Original post by Wilfred Little
It's not invalid because it's creator is a bell it's invalid because it's boring and not even his best album.

There are plenty.

Ok

A. What's his best? (There is one other correct answer)

B. What albums?
Reply 3
in your opinion
Lol at it being boring, and it is definitively his best album
Original post by Dopeshhonly
Ok

A. What's his best? (There is one other correct answer)

College Dropout

B. What albums?

Well you included one in your post. You are aware Illmatic is a Hip-Hop record aren't you?

Paul's Boutique
It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
The Chronic
Paid In Full
36 Chambers
Straight Outta Compton

I am not that much of a fan of all of these but all of them are widely considered to be among the best ever and several of the artists are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Original post by Parties in LA
Lol at it being boring, and it is definitively his best album

It's nicely put together. That's about it.
Reply 7
College Dropout

Well you included one in your post. You are aware Illmatic is a Hip-Hop record aren't you?

Paul's Boutique
It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
The Chronic
Paid In Full
36 Chambers
Straight Outta Compton

I am not that much of a fan of all of these but all of them are widely considered to be among the best ever and several of the artists are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Yes I am I know more about rap than you.

Late Registration>>>>College dropout (though family buisness is a tear shedder)

36 Chambers is dope
Public enemy are dope
I've never ****ed with the beastie boys
Nor nwa
Dr. Dre is overrated in my opinion and isn't the greatest producer of all time, Kanye, Dilla, RZA and Madlib are all better

You didn't bring up madvillainy or liquid swords I'm disappointed
I like the tirade/spiel that Chris with the high pitched voice goes on in blame game haha
Yes I am I know more about rap than you.

Late Registration>>>>College dropout (though family buisness is a tear shedder)

36 Chambers is dope
Public enemy are dope
I've never ****ed with the beastie boys
Nor nwa
Dr. Dre is overrated in my opinion and isn't the greatest producer of all time, Kanye, Dilla, RZA and Madlib are all better

You didn't bring up madvillainy or liquid swords I'm disappointed

I prefer Liquid Swords to 36 Chambers and prefer the second NWA album to SOC but that's not the point. If we are just naming good albums then The Cold Vein should be included.

Kanye West is not a better producer than Dr. Dre. I admit RZA arguably is.
I prefer Liquid Swords to 36 Chambers and prefer the second NWA album to SOC but that's not the point.

Kanye West is not a better producer than Dr. Dre. I admit RZA arguably is.

Madvillainy tho>>>
What about Only Built for Cuban Linx
People don't realise just how good Yeezy actually is.

#Kanye2020
Original post by neal95
I like the tirade/spiel that Chris with the high pitched voice goes on in blame game haha

This is the best birthday EVER
Madvillainy tho>>>
What about Only Built for Cuban Linx

Yeah man definitely, I love that album. RZA's mafioso beats on that are incredible (Rainy Days and Knowledge God in particular). Liquid Swords and Cuban Linx are the best two Wu records imo.
Yeah man definitely, I love that album. RZA's mafioso beats on that are incredible (Rainy Days and Knowledge God in particular). Liquid Swords and Cuban Linx are the best two Wu records imo.

Yo truuu
Be is highkey one of the most underrated albums of the 2000s
Original post by Onde
I give it 3 stars (out of 5).

Certainly better than his earlier albums (although not a difficult achievement) which were complete dribble, but still rather limited in scope and utterly narcissistic (which would be tolerable, if the work was somewhat satisfactory).

Lol you lost me at "earlier albums.....complete dribble"
Reply 16
Every song bangs on the album, easily one of the best of the decade. Pitchfork rated it 10/10, not something you see everyday

Gorgeous is the best song on it, lyrically the best song of Kanye and got such a catchy beat
Original post by ULT
Every song bangs on the album, easily one of the best of the decade. Pitchfork rated it 10/10, not something you see everyday

Gorgeous is the best song on it, lyrically the best song of Kanye and got such a catchy beat

Lol Truuu it's got a 94 rating on metacritic
How can you possibly compare a hip-hop album to the likes of Dark Side Of The Moon? The two are completely incomparable due to being separate entities within music. You'd rarely bring up the use of individual instrumentation on a hip-hop album, just like you'd rarely bring up the vocalists flow on a rock album.

I'll give you that, obviously both being within music, the two share similar traits. But when was the last time you heard someone say "oh man, the guitar/keyboard/drum solo makes this song for me" when speaking of a rap album? :lol:
The focus within the respective songs is on two different things, thus they're largely incomparable IMO.
Original post by Drunk Punx
How can you possibly compare a hip-hop album to the likes of Dark Side Of The Moon? The two are completely incomparable due to being separate entities within music. You'd rarely bring up the use of individual instrumentation on a hip-hop album, just like you'd rarely bring up the vocalists flow on a rock album.

I'll give you that, obviously both being within music, the two share similar traits. But when was the last time you heard someone say "oh man, the guitar/keyboard/drum solo makes this song for me" when speaking of a rap album? :lol:
The focus within the respective songs is on two different things, thus they're largely incomparable IMO.

Im not comparing.

But have you even heard my beautiful dark twisted fantasy?
If you haven't you should, it's a genre-bending masterpiece that has beautiful guitar solos, drums and other more experimental techniques (see the Runaway outro)

Obviously you can't compare the two directly.

Quick Reply

Latest