The Student Room Group

Additional Science

I was wondering if I was to do the Foundation papers for Additional Science what grades/ marks would I need to get a B overall- scenarios of results.
(I have 17% of my Controlled Assessment out of 25%) AQA exam board
I am also doing AQA additional this year! :h:

Looking at AQA's UMS grade boundaries, you need at least 280 UMS points to obtain an overall grade B. You say you have 17% of your 100% (foundation).

17/25 = 68% of the full marks

So you got 34 (50 x 0.68 = 34) marks in your ISA, correct?? This equates to a low C/D. This C/D grade is worth around 55 UMS points (a rough guess).

So 280 - 55 = 225 UMS points remaining

225/3 = 75 UMS points per exam (Bio, Chem and Phy)

You need to get at least a mid B grade per exam.

Unfortunately, I must say it is impossible for you to obtain a grade B if you're doing foundation so the highest grade you can achieve is a C, even with full marks in the exams. :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:

If you really want this grade B, you need to ask your teacher ASAP to enter you for higher tier. Yes, you haven't covered higher tier specification but you could learn it and you do have a chance. Good luck!! :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BTAnonymous
I am also doing AQA additional this year! :h:

Looking at AQA's UMS grade boundaries, you need at least 280 UMS points to obtain an overall grade B. You say you have 17% of your 100% (foundation).

17/25 = 68% of the full marks

So you got 34 (50 x 0.68 = 34) marks in your ISA, correct?? This equates to a low C/D. This C/D grade is worth around 55 UMS points (a rough guess).

So 280 - 55 = 225 UMS points remaining

225/3 = 75 UMS points per exam (Bio, Chem and Phy)

You need to get at least a mid B grade per exam.

Unfortunately, I must say it is impossible for you to obtain a grade B if you're doing foundation so the highest grade you can achieve is a C, even with full marks in the exams. :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:

If you really want this grade B, you need to ask your teacher ASAP to enter you for higher tier. Yes, you haven't covered higher tier specification but you could learn it and you do have a chance. Good luck!! :h:

The 17% out of the 25% isn’t foundation or higher- there are no tiers for the Controlled Assessment. I got 35/36 marks actually. It’s not impossible to obtain a grade B, my Science teacher, people over discussions and students said you can. I never said I was doing Foundation haha, I was just curious. My exams are in like 7 weeks even if I was doing F tier to do the H tier
Original post by DellRyan
The 17% out of the 25% isn’t foundation or higher- there are no tiers for the Controlled Assessment. I got 35/36 marks actually. It’s not impossible to obtain a grade B, my Science teacher, people over discussions and students said you can. I never said I was doing Foundation haha, I was just curious. My exams are in like 7 weeks even if I was doing F tier to do the H tier

But if you got 35/36 then that means you have 24% out of 25%??

And I never said your CA was tiered, I was talking about your three exams.

My ISA was out of 50, not 36. What specification are you doing??
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
But if you got 35/36 then that means you have 24% out of 25%??

And I never said your CA was tiered, I was talking about your three exams.

My ISA was out of 50, not 36. What specification are you doing??

No not 35/36, 35 or 36 marks out of the 50 marks total. The line means one of them numbers. Then why did you put Foundation in brackets after mentioning the Controlled Assessment?
Original post by DellRyan
No not 35/36, 35 or 36 marks out of the 50 marks total. The line means one of them numbers. Then why did you put Foundation in brackets after mentioning the Controlled Assessment?

No no. What I said is that you have 17% of your 100% (foundation). I was meant to imply the fact that your exams were foundation, not your CA. My transcription error.

So in this case, it is impossible for you to get a B. If you don't believe then take a look at AQAs UMS grade boundaries and do the maths yourself.

I am going to do this again to make it very clear:

36/50 = 72%

Using last years mark scheme (http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-GDE-BDY-JUNE-2015.PDF - AS4P is the code for additional science ISA) then this is a B-).

This equates to exactly 70 UMS points (http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums and http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/UMS-GRADE-BOUNDARIES.PDF)

In order to get a B, you need 280 UMS points overall. However, you have 70 banked from your ISA so you need 210 more UMS points to get a grade B.

The max UMS points you can score is 69 per exam (full marks - 60/60). This adds up to 207 UMS points but you need 210. Short of 3 points. And this is with your top score of 36/50 on your ISA.
Reply 6
No no. What I said is that you have 17% of your 100% (foundation). I was meant to imply the fact that your exams were foundation, not your CA. My transcription error.

So in this case, it is impossible for you to get a B. If you don't believe then take a look at AQAs UMS grade boundaries and do the maths yourself.

I am going to do this again to make it very clear:

36/50 = 72%

Using last years mark scheme (http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-GDE-BDY-JUNE-2015.PDF - AS4P is the code for additional science ISA) then this is a B-).

This equates to exactly 70 UMS points (http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums and http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/UMS-GRADE-BOUNDARIES.PDF)

In order to get a B, you need 280 UMS points overall. However, you have 70 banked from your ISA so you need 210 more UMS points to get a grade B.

The max UMS points you can score is 69 per exam (full marks - 60/60). This adds up to 207 UMS points but you need 210. Short of 3 points. And this is with your top score of 36/50 on your ISA.

How patronizing... thanks

Quick Reply

Latest